Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad Information on Torx Screws

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 03:39 PM
harley-jones
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Bad Information on Torx Screws

There was a thread a while back about stripped derby-cover screws.

Someone posted a very believable thread that Harley used Torx-Plus derby-cover screws and that you needed a T-27 Torx-Plus instead of a regular T-27 Torx bit tool to keep from stripping them out.

I have used a regular T-27 in the past and never had a problem but I went ahead and bought a T-27 Torx-Plus socket bit thinking this was the right tool for the job.

Well, bottom line is save your money it does not fit on my 08 SG derby cover or any other Torx screw on my bike. The screws take a regular T-27.

There may be some other bike in the Harley Line up that takes a Torx-Plus tool but it is definitely not my 08 SG

Below is part of the thread that I read before I went and purchased the Torx-Plus bit: I copied and pasted it for you to read...
THIS IS BAD INFO!!

__________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
Gents, I'll say this again and hope you listen

HARLEY use TORX PLUS fasteners to assemble their bikes.

Torx Plus is DIFFERENT that regular torx. The torx plus driver bits fit very tightly into the torx fastener and are less likely to strip...They fiot so tightly that there is ZERO angle tween bit and fastener.

You have a choice...you either determine which torx plus bits you need and buy only those, or you change out all torx fasteners to stainless steel allen head.

There are only 6-7 different sized torx plus fasteners used on Harleys, plus there are several allen sizes, so common sense dictates you swap to all allen not just to keep your tour pac tool set compact, but also because you will want to go stainless vice the corrosion prone stock fasteners.

Stop complaining about T27 torx bits being hard to find....There are MANY etailers offering T27 drive bits in TORX PLUS for 3-4 bucks.....But please remember to buy only torx plus....torx plus is different!

Last edited by harley-jones; 05-24-2010 at 04:35 PM.
Old 05-24-2010, 04:38 PM
harley-jones
Road Warrior

The above is not to bad mouth the O.P. of that post and I did not mention his name.

It is simply to save ya'all some money.

Old 05-24-2010, 04:52 PM
Jags93
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I almost went out and bought a whole Torx Plus set based on that thread.

Old 05-24-2010, 05:13 PM
hydrolock43
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bought some Torx plus too

Originally Posted by harley-jones
There was a thread a while back about stripped derby-cover screws.

Someone posted a very believable thread that Harley used Torx-Plus derby-cover screws and that you needed a T-27 Torx-Plus instead of a regular T-27 Torx bit tool to keep from stripping them out.

I have used a regular T-27 in the past and never had a problem but I went ahead and bought a T-27 Torx-Plus socket bit thinking this was the right tool for the job.

Well, bottom line is save your money it does not fit on my 08 SG derby cover or any other Torx screw on my bike. The screws take a regular T-27.

There may be some other bike in the Harley Line up that takes a Torx-Plus tool but it is definitely not my 08 SG

Below is part of the thread that I read before I went and purchased the Torx-Plus bit: I copied and pasted it for you to read...
THIS IS BAD INFO!!
I read this same thread and ordered Torx plus bits the same sizes as come in the HD screwdriver but in Torx plus. Friggin waste of money all these years never needed them they will sit in my tool box.
__________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
Gents, I'll say this again and hope you listen

HARLEY use TORX PLUS fasteners to assemble their bikes.

Torx Plus is DIFFERENT that regular torx. The torx plus driver bits fit very tightly into the torx fastener and are less likely to strip...They fiot so tightly that there is ZERO angle tween bit and fastener.

You have a choice...you either determine which torx plus bits you need and buy only those, or you change out all torx fasteners to stainless steel allen head.

There are only 6-7 different sized torx plus fasteners used on Harleys, plus there are several allen sizes, so common sense dictates you swap to all allen not just to keep your tour pac tool set compact, but also because you will want to go stainless vice the corrosion prone stock fasteners.

Stop complaining about T27 torx bits being hard to find....There are MANY etailers offering T27 drive bits in TORX PLUS for 3-4 bucks.....But please remember to buy only torx plus....torx plus is different!
I bought some after reading this thread what a waste

Old 05-24-2010, 05:49 PM
harley-jones
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Jags93
I almost went out and bought a whole Torx Plus set based on that thread.
That's why I posted this. A full set of good torx bits can cost alot of $$$.

I bought just the one T-27 Torx-plus from Snap-On...Glad I didn't buy a full set!

Old 05-24-2010, 06:49 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,964 Likes on 1,715 Posts

Geez, you made me use the search feature to go find who posted that. Heck, I could have told you they weren't torx plus. If they were, don't you think that HD would have torx plus bits in their tool kits they sell and provide with the touring bikes?????

Old 05-24-2010, 07:05 PM
harley-jones
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by dawg
Geez, you made me use the search feature to go find who posted that. Heck, I could have told you they weren't torx plus. If they were, don't you think that HD would have torx plus bits in their tool kits they sell and provide with the touring bikes?????
I hear ya Dawg, but I have never used the tool kit that came with the bike and the dude made it sound so convincing that I bit like a big ole bass.

Old 05-24-2010, 07:10 PM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
Default wait...............

Originally Posted by dawg

I never got a tool kit...... Swear to god. My Saddle bags had an owners manual...thats it....

AHHH my bike was a 1000K demo.....they probably scarfed it.....

Old 05-24-2010, 07:13 PM
Harley_RN
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same here....was going to get a set of the Torx plus. Thanks for the info.

Old 05-24-2010, 07:14 PM
atrain68
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I remember that one. I have both a Torx plus and regular Torx set. I agree the Torx plus bits are not needed on the 08s at all. Maybe other bikes? Not sure which.

Quick Reply: Bad Information on Torx Screws