Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

iPod interface

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 03:27 PM
Ferromet
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
Ferromet, I copied the wiring diagram for the SESG2 at my dealer the other day and it shows the I-Pod connector to the 35 wire connector for the SESG2 application. Perhaps it will confirm that the wiring on your CVO Ultra is the same, or identify a difference between the two applications:

http://

In any case, thanks for taking the time for the review and installation information.

Carl
Thanks Carl, that's definitely different than what is shown in the instructions. When I have a few extra moments I'll open it back up and try what's shown here. I'll post an update once I've gone there. Thanks again!

Old 08-24-2010, 04:09 PM
elPrez
Stellar HDF Member
Received 448 Likes on 313 Posts

Originally Posted by jgreg65
$300 ??? I picked one up on eBay brand new from a seller on buy it now that had 100 of them for $20.00 shipping included sorry HD.

I haven't installed it only because I didn't want to hack up the dash board. Now with this kit, looks like it will be a winter project.
Got mine for $15 at Best Buy last year...not a single hole was made, I can remove it and you wouldn't know it was there.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:05 AM
Ferromet
Intermediate

Ferromet, I copied the wiring diagram for the SESG2 at my dealer the other day and it shows the I-Pod connector to the 35 wire connector for the SESG2 application. Perhaps it will confirm that the wiring on your CVO Ultra is the same, or identify a difference between the two applications:

http://

In any case, thanks for taking the time for the review and installation information.

Carl

Kudos to Carl... thanks Man, that worked. So here's the deal, if you have a CVO bike with the Amp installed then the Tan/Blue and Violet/Gray wires need to be swapped... Tan/Blue should go into hole #31, Violet/Gray into hole #19.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:14 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Ferromet, glad to help. Two small questions: pin-out 31 calls for TN/BK wire in the SESG2 wiring diagram, but in your reply you refer to a TN/BE (blue) wire; is the wire TN/ BK (black) or TN/BE (blue)? And did the instructions with the interface provide for different wiring locations than shown in the SESG2 wiring diagram?

Also, bikes with the 35-wire connector already on the bike (e.g. Ultras and non-Ultras that have added the non-Ultra overlay harness, p/n 70169-06 for CB, XM and/or HD's rear speaker kit) should be wired the same as the CVO bike with amplifier since the amplifier doesn't use the 35-wire connector--the amp simply takes the speaker outputs from the HK head unit via the speaker connection wires, amplifies them, and sends the amplified signal to speakers--in essence the amp is wired in series to the normal speaker outputs/wiring of a non-CVO Ultra.

As for the SESG2 wiring diagram, I copied it because I was interested in how the amplifier was wired to the HK head unit and the interface wiring was "just there" when I made the copy.

Carl

Old 08-25-2010, 10:14 AM
Ferromet
Intermediate

Wire coloring

Last edited by Ferromet; 08-25-2010 at 10:19 AM.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:16 AM
Ferromet
Intermediate

Ferromet, glad to help. Two small questions: pin-out 31 calls for TN/BK wire in the SESG2 wiring diagram, but in your reply you refer to a TN/BE (blue) wire; is the wire TN/ BK (black) or TN/BE (blue)? And did the instructions with the interface provide for different wiring locations than shown in the SESG2 wiring diagram?

Also, bikes with the 35-wire connector already on the bike (e.g. Ultras and non-Ultras that have added the non-Ultra overlay harness, p/n 70169-06 for CB, XM and/or HD's rear speaker kit) should be wired the same as the CVO bike with amplifier since the amplifier doesn't use the 35-wire connector--the amp simply takes the speaker outputs from the HK head unit via the speaker connection wires, amplifies them, and sends the amplified signal to speakers--in essence the amp is wired in series to the normal speaker outputs/wiring of a non-CVO Ultra.

As for the SESG2 wiring diagram, I copied it because I was interested in how the amplifier was wired to the HK head unit and the interface wiring was "just there" when I made the copy.

Carl
REVISION... MADE A MISTAKE... BELOW IS CORRECT:

Carl,

There are 5 pins that come out of the new wiring harness that is supplied with the Ipod interface kit... Tan/Red, Tan/Blue, Violet/Gray, Red/Blue & Black/Blue. No more, no less.

First, here's what the instructions that come with the Ipod interface call for:

Pin Cavity 8 = Tan/Red, Pin Cavity 19 = Tan/Blue, Pin Cavity 31 = Violet/Gray... the instructions say that if you have the bluetooth module installed to take the Red/Blue and Black/Blue pins and individually wrap them with electrical tape. It goes on to say that if the bluetooth module is not installed to insert Red/Blue into Pin Cavity 4 and Black/Blue into Pin Cavity 27. I don't have the bluetooth so I did, in fact place these pins per the instructions. It should be noted that each of the pin cavities (8, 19, 31, 4, 27) are available with a dummy in them on my CVO Ultra.

This is what was shown on your sheet and what actually worked:

According to the sheet you provided Pin 8 = Tan/Red (same as instructions), Pin 13 = Yellow/Orange (already there, no change), Pin 14 = Yellow/Violet (already there, no change), Pin 19= Violet/Gray (Different than instructions), Pin 31 = Tan/Blk (there is no tan black)... the instruction sheet was kind of blurry so I assumed that this was calling for Tan/Blue into pin 31 so that is what I did and it worked.

Hope this makes sense.

Old 08-25-2010, 11:00 AM
1sweetglide08
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's another solution...send your radio to Iron Cross and have them install a ipod cable to your HD factory radio, the cable also charges your ipod. I paid $90.00 for it when I had my radio repaired by Iron Cross. Works great and you can extend the cable and have your ipod in your saddlebag.

Old 08-25-2010, 01:23 PM
spacelord
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1sweetglide08
Here's another solution...send your radio to Iron Cross and have them install a ipod cable to your HD factory radio, the cable also charges your ipod. I paid $90.00 for it when I had my radio repaired by Iron Cross. Works great and you can extend the cable and have your ipod in your saddlebag.
Does the Iron Cross cable allow you to control the ipod from the handlebar controls?

Old 08-25-2010, 01:25 PM
Stang951
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

No. They attach the cable into the AUX circuit inside of the radio. It only allows connection to play the Ipod and charge it.

Old 08-25-2010, 02:45 PM
lowleveldriver
Tourer

Ferromet I should have posted what I was going through also on this forum. I just did it on the other forum. I did everything you did, what I ended up with was HD solution. They said on my 09 CVO was to reverse 19 to 31 and 31 to 19. My NIM harness wasn't,t working at all once I changed those wires the GPS worked, the iPod harness work with no problems.

Trey

Quick Reply: iPod interface