Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OK, so what are the rules regarding patch placement?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 10:40 AM
spizzyman
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rottiman
I want to avoid looking like a dumba$$ when I wear my vest, so would someone let me in on the rules regarding where the patches go? (yes, I did a search but with less than adequate results)

Poser rule #1: Put the patches all over the vest so that it matches all the other posers @ the HOG meeting. Otherwise try wearing the vest without them

So if I get the gist of your comment, you are actually a big dope that get his self esteem by trying to put others down? That's fine. Enjoy your super dudeness. I was just curious and asked a question.

Thanks to those that were helpful and especially the part about the American flag.

spiz

Old 08-15-2010, 11:59 AM
Reverend
Tourer

Roll with the written punches, Spiz! Everyone gets a flame on here every now & then..

Just leave off the third 'location' lower patch & you'll be fine. Some like the dressing up & some don't, but we're all the same underneath.

All the best, mate.

Old 08-15-2010, 03:01 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 308 Likes on 179 Posts

Patch covers the left eye.
That might be for pirates. Its hard to tell them apart.

Old 08-15-2010, 05:34 PM
V2Evo96
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by piasspj
Patch covers the left eye.
That might be for pirates. Its hard to tell them apart.

Arrrrgh Matey, yee forgot to mention the peg leg and the parrot...

Old 08-15-2010, 06:11 PM
T-Dub
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got a sweet vest. Lots of patches that I have collected over the years, some HD, some not. I took my vest to the lady that works the parts counter at the dealership, she offered to sew them on for me. I took all of it to her and told her I didn't care what went where, she said she would make it look good. So, we shall see.

Old 08-15-2010, 07:07 PM
MikeRider
Advanced

Originally Posted by Rottiman
Hmmmm.....I see this thread going south quick. ; )

Yeah, but it will probably slow down or stop when it hits how do I wear my assless chaps and fingerless gloves............
Uhhh, assless and fingerless, how else?

As far as I can tell dumba$$es like me can wear whatever wherever.

Proper protocol depends on who you talk to. Some groups reserve the back exclusively for colors or club specific patches and the front is wide open,(often literally and figuratively). Some 1%ers don't like rockers, anything that says M.C., or "colors" of any kind other than their own. Some even consider black leather proprietary. I'd say judging from what you see though, patches are kinda like bikes. Everybody's got an opinion and individual tastes vary, so put yo patches where you think they work/look best and if you change your mind take 'em off and replace occasionally.

Old 08-16-2010, 12:25 PM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I wear my American Flag on the right side just like I did i the Army, High left is reserved for POW/MIA. Other than that big patch on back and then what ever.......

The following users liked this post:
6113_ (02-07-2018)
Old 08-16-2010, 12:54 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Spizzy, props to you about asking about protocol/etiquette. As for HOG, there are no published "rules" about patch placement--you can basically put them whereever you want. The use of the American flag is subject to placement traditions.

As for the unhelpful comments, don't know why some feel the need for them since people almost never flame someone's ape hanger handlebars, fat rear fender, paint, etc. even though many here would never put them on their bikes and take a "live and let live/it's your bike do what you want to it" approach.

Carl

Old 08-16-2010, 01:28 PM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

I don't like to wear patches, but I'd recomend "no bottom rocker on the back".
Motorcycle Clubs (gangs) use this to designate their ownership of an area.
You may get met by a prospect of a club/gang that is trying to impress his brothers.

The rest doesn't matter really.

Old 08-16-2010, 01:28 PM
drbald1
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As for the unhelpful comments, don't know why some feel the need for them since people almost never flame someone's ape hanger handlebars, fat rear fender, paint, etc. even though many here would never put them on their bikes and take a "live and let live/it's your bike do what you want to it" approach.
+1, and to the props. The "nobody tells me what to do never ever" crowd are just as much sheeple as the rest. We all have a crowd of folks who's respect we'd like to have. It's the way people are wired.

Those that aren't wired that way are called "sociopaths", and we have to put them away.

Quick Reply: OK, so what are the rules regarding patch placement?