Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stretched tank options for 2010 SG...

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 10:23 PM
ICIBUY
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Stretched tank options for 2010 SG...

Really want to add a stretched tank on my bike. I have seen the FBI tank for $1300.00 plus paint and seat. I have seen the Paul Yaffe tank inn the Custom Chrome catalog for approx $650.00 plus paint and seat. Do any of you have a stretched tank? Who's tank? How much invested with paint and seat? I have also seen a couple tank extensions that you weld on, fill seem, and paint. However these extension pieces are approx $500 so by time I pay for the body work, etc is tis option worth the headache? Appreciate any help/advice you guys can offer.

Old 10-25-2010, 08:36 PM
Eric in chicago
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got the BadDad tank cover, nice stuff but it does make the 6 gal tank look huge. I have seen them on 5 gal tanks and they dont look quite so big. One think to consider, once you go with one of these tanks, your seat choice will be limited to what fits the cutout. I cut to fit my modified Ultra seat as that is what I ride the most. I also have a SG seat that I had to take apart and modify as the nose of the SG is different that the Mean City modified Ultra seat. the days of trying different seats are over when you go to a custom tank. The PY tank looks very nice for the price, got to transfer over your internals but that is not that big of a deal if your handy. If your staying a dark color, the tank wont look too big (BadDad tank covers), I saw a white bike with the tank and it looked like a whale!! Also, balance, big front wheel, big tank, bags. it is all about how it all works together.

hardest part of the BadDad install is taking sandpaper to your shinny stock fuel tank, no going back after that!!

Attached Thumbnails Stretched tank options for 2010 SG...-dsc02055.jpg   Stretched tank options for 2010 SG...-dsc02071.jpg   Stretched tank options for 2010 SG...-dsc02069.jpg   Stretched tank options for 2010 SG...-dsc02064.jpg   Stretched tank options for 2010 SG...-dscn8727.jpg  

Old 10-26-2010, 08:18 AM
XMA
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did a lot of work to the old ladies fatboy this past winter including streching the stock tank. My bike painter / bodyman did it by hand, 400 bucks (plus paint). We had to select a seat and he streched the tank to the seat and frame. Limits seat changes, but that's true with streching any tank or buying a streched tank. He does and awsome job, but he is up here in Maine, so don't know how much help this will be, but if you have a good local painter / bodyman, they should be able to help you out.

Attached Thumbnails Stretched tank options for 2010 SG...-tank-1.jpg   Stretched tank options for 2010 SG...-tank-2.jpg  
Old 10-26-2010, 10:00 AM
ICIBUY
Road Master

Thanks guys! I thought the BadDad cover was a little to big for my taste also. I'm really not to worried about the seat thing as I have a good friend that has his own upholstery shop and he already said he would do whatever I wanted for a seat at cost... and he does awesome work! I think at this point I'm going to go with the Yafee or the FBI just to avoid the headache and concerns about having my stock tank stretched.

Old 10-26-2010, 10:07 AM
Pork-Chop
Road Master

There is no way around this.... if you want it "right" you have to go custom, custom seat included, that's just the nature of the beast. I went with the RWD tank and decided to make my own seat, (only because the shape I wanted was waaaaay different then what's out there..hence the custom) however they have a seat that fits like a glove and it's made by Saddlemen that looks really nice

http://www.russwernimont.com/0701-05...175W_p_40.html

http://www.russwernimont.com/0801-05...TANK_p_44.html

Old 10-26-2010, 10:23 AM
ICIBUY
Road Master

Thanks PorkChop... any pics of that tank all done with paint and your custom seat installed? Did it come with the low profile console or did you have to purchase that separate?

Old 10-26-2010, 10:34 AM
Pork-Chop
Road Master

no pics yet.... still working on the bike, it came with console, and attachment to use with the stock fuel pump

Old 10-26-2010, 03:51 PM
Russbucket
Advanced
Default rwd tank

I went with the russ wernimont. A little expensive but when i brought it to the painter, he was impressed as it would not need much body work before prime and paint. Kinda the same theme as eric's.
You will need a new crossover line. Be aware, don't purchase a nine inch line. I have not purchased one yet but plan on visiting my local hydraulic line and have one made. Another member said it was about 14 inches.
Here are some pics

Attached Thumbnails Stretched tank options for 2010 SG...-p1000852.jpg   Stretched tank options for 2010 SG...-tank.jpg  
Old 10-27-2010, 10:04 AM
ICIBUY
Road Master

Russbucket, Thanks for the info on the crossover line... I see in the one pic that you have the stock seat on the bike with this tank... did you have that seat customized? Thanks again!

Old 10-27-2010, 02:52 PM
Russbucket
Advanced

thats just sitting on there for the pic. I dont want to steal your thread, however.....Im trying to find a used badlander and then find someone to custom stitch something in it. I am open to any ideas anyone else has.
feel free to check out my garage for more pics. My painter is fantastic and is doing some great things with lighting.

keep the rubber side down.

Oh by the way, Im sure the seat will have to be modified to fit the tank. The harley units bend up and cover the tank at the console. I plan on having it fit just inside the cut out
Not sure how this is going to happen though

Last edited by Russbucket; 10-27-2010 at 03:23 PM. Reason: additional info