Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air ride installed...

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 02:51 PM
999 Customs
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

DO IT... Trust me, you will wonder why you waited so long. The only suggestion I have is buy them at an auto parts store, life time warranty is worth the extra $20.

Old 11-16-2010, 03:01 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,019 Likes on 1,493 Posts

So, just to clarify, the shocks operate as regular shocks but the mounts require some modification for a Harley application?

The bike can be raised/lowered by increasing/decreasing air pressure in the shocks? Do the shock have a pre-load adjustment or is the pre-load adjustment?

The shocks could be raised or lowered manually; the compressor is not required?

Handsome machine and very cost effective upgrade.

Last edited by djl; 11-16-2010 at 03:03 PM.
Old 11-16-2010, 03:16 PM
999 Customs
Cruiser

The shocks do function as normal shocks would, only it uses an air bag to "Set the pre-load" (essentially).. These function as a factory shock would only instead of a coil spring mounted internally to set ride height, there is an externally mounted air bag which allows for an adjustable ride height. (Follow me so far ?)

They can be set at a specific height via a small compressor, and adjusted with the flip of a switch either up or down by increasing or decreasing the air pressure. They CAN also be set at a height and left alone, similar to the factory set up. you could pull in to any gas station, air them up a bit (both increasing load capability, and ride height) and be on your way. On the flip side, you can do the same to lower it and or reduce load capacity, all without a compressor..

Hope this all makes sense..

Old 11-16-2010, 03:21 PM
Pc PaiN
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

How did you do the remote for the compressor? I'm all over these for my 2010 and you're right 20$ is worth the warranty if monroe doesn't offer lifetime themselves.

Old 11-16-2010, 03:22 PM
999 Customs
Cruiser

My buddy did it, I'm not real sure how...

Old 11-16-2010, 03:54 PM
Pc PaiN
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Only other question is where you picked up the bushings to modify the shocks with

Old 11-16-2010, 03:58 PM
Cousy
Road Captain
Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

I'll be installing a different air suspension on my '10 RK this winter. I like the idea of putting together my own setup like this. Monroe lists these shocks as having 4.5" of travel. 9.5" to 14.0". Is this whole range usable or just the lower and middle range? Also it looks like your bike sits lower with this system than other bikes with systems from Arnott/Legend. Would you say that's true or are they about the same? Thanks for posting about your system.

Old 11-16-2010, 04:30 PM
999 Customs
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Pc PaiN
Only other question is where you picked up the bushings to modify the shocks with
He is a fabricator, he has an account with energy suspension so that is most likely what he used..

Old 11-16-2010, 04:33 PM
999 Customs
Cruiser

Originally Posted by quickbiscuit
I'll be installing a different air suspension on my '10 RK this winter. I like the idea of putting together my own setup like this. Monroe lists these shocks as having 4.5" of travel. 9.5" to 14.0". Is this whole range usable or just the lower and middle range? Also it looks like your bike sits lower with this system than other bikes with systems from Arnott/Legend. Would you say that's true or are they about the same? Thanks for posting about your system.

It sits about 1.5" lower than most.. People are jealous as hell when they see how far mine drops. When I set them about mid way (about stock height) they absorb bumps like butter, so one could only imagine that you get most of the travel out of them..

Old 11-16-2010, 04:37 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,019 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Originally Posted by 999 Customs
The shocks do function as normal shocks would, only it uses an air bag to "Set the pre-load" (essentially).. These function as a factory shock would only instead of a coil spring mounted internally to set ride height, there is an externally mounted air bag which allows for an adjustable ride height. (Follow me so far ?)

They can be set at a specific height via a small compressor, and adjusted with the flip of a switch either up or down by increasing or decreasing the air pressure. They CAN also be set at a height and left alone, similar to the factory set up. you could pull in to any gas station, air them up a bit (both increasing load capability, and ride height) and be on your way. On the flip side, you can do the same to lower it and or reduce load capacity, all without a compressor..

Hope this all makes sense..
Thanks, yes, makes sense and as I thought. So, you don't need a special air pump like the one for the stock OEM shocks? What is the pressure range?
And the shocks them selves... Monroe (MA785) for 60's-80's Corvette. $74.99 (Pepboys or O'Reiley) Here's the tricky part.. The lower mounts have to be cut and have an insert pressed into them to make them fit correctly on the bolt. Also... The upper bushings have to be removed and replaced with a proper fitting set, we used urethane, and stainless inserts
can you elaborate on the mounting modifications; photos perhaps?

Quick Reply: Air ride installed...