Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cruise Control Problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 04:37 PM
big-boss
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cruise Control Problems

I have a 2003 RK Anniversery- %th Harley first CC. I already checked to see if it was getting power- it is. I checked to see if a prong in plug gets power when when brakes applied - one does.
When I got the bike the front brake lever was broke off- brake light was on so I figured it would not work then- all that was fixed. It all looks tight the black box under the seat.

I go down the road and hit the bitton nothing happens. My first impression is that either I not working it right or it is something easy.

Any ideas? Thanks

Old 02-13-2011, 04:44 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 701 Likes on 349 Posts

Make sure you don't have a brake light switch sticking.

Old 02-13-2011, 04:57 PM
AlanStansbery
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

When you turn the cruise on, do you get the red light on the speedo? Does it turn green when you hit the 'set' button? Or, is it absolutely dead, no lights at all?

The left switch is on/off (forward is on). The right switch is set/accelerate (toward you is set (hold to slow down when engaged), away from you is resume (hold forward to accelerate when engaged).

There's a minimum speed. If you're going 55 that eliminates speed as a potential problem. Make sure module's plugged in (sounds like you've verified that). Make sure cable is run to the throttle-body and is snapped/clipped in (to eliminate the potential the unit's working but is not hooked up).

Get up to 55. Turn cruise on (left switch forward). Verify red light on Speedo is on. Briefly pull the right switch toward you. The red cruise light on the speedo turns green, and you're 'cruising'. If not... Then you're doing things right, but there's an issue. Could be a component (like a bad switch), or the module itself... Hopefully, it's something small. I had a switch go bad (set/resume). I had no light at all on speedo. Another time, I had the red speedo light, but it wouldn't turn green when I hit 'set'. That one turned out to be the module... (at around $350!) stro1965's got good advice. Since there was an issue with the brake switch earlier, double-check that...

Last edited by AlanStansbery; 02-13-2011 at 05:00 PM.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:30 PM
big-boss
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

found out that the red light was burnt out and the on off switch was broken. I am now on quest to find light and switch.

Old 03-01-2011, 09:47 PM
03dragonRK
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by big-boss
found out that the red light was burnt out and the on off switch was broken. I am now on quest to find light and switch.
I have a new set of left and right handle bar controls with cruise that fits your bike that I would sell. I had an 03 flhrci (same as yours) that I had to replace the control unit on. I purchase a complete set up, but only used the controller.
PM me if interested.