Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight Upgrade?

Old 04-12-2011, 05:59 PM
duglaura&flhti
Road Warrior

Received 99 Likes on 94 Posts
Default Replacements?

Originally Posted by RaceFace
I don't ride my bike in the dark at all. With the time change last weekend, I now ride in the dark to work. I realized first thing monday morning that my stock headlight sucks! It WAS aimed practically straight down so I re-aimed it, but it's not very bright. Is there a replacement that is just a pop-in that is brighter than the stocker? I want to see and be seen. I've got the Brightasslight LED taillight and I do drive with my driving lights on, but I would like a little more vision in the dark.

Thanks in advance!!
Hey Scott, what light option did you end up procuring? Doing the same soon after the front end.......Take care and ride safe, D

Old 04-12-2011, 08:36 PM
joflewbyu2
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by banginTwins
Hey joflewbyu....do you know what bulbs are in that dual bulb headlight housing? Like are they H11, H1's, H4's?? Would be a huge help if you know exactly what bulbs are that housing AND in the HD Passing LIghts too....anyone know?
Thanks
Bangin
H11 55 watt low beam with 1200 luminence and H9 65 watt high beam with 2200 lumens. If you do research you will notice H9 and H11 bulbs have the same base but 1 wing is offset either left or right. Many people modify the housing to accept the superbright H9 bulb for better visibility. Below is a chart with a stock H4 bulb that has 700 low and 1200 high beam lumens. As you can tell, the dual bulb headlight is significantly brighter than stock. I know because I have one. I also have a modified dual bulb Harley light that accepts H9 65 watt 2200 lumens bulbs which light up the road great. Have Trucklite setup ordered and selling my Harley setup for $125 unless another wants to buy my Trucklite setup which includes spot lights too at $$475 shipped..
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...ulb_types.html
BULB TYPE.................. WATTAGE................ LUMENS................ COMMENTS
9004/HB1 ......................65/45...........................1200/700................. SAE. Transverse filaments.
H9.................................. 65............................... 2100........................ ECE/SAE. Very efficient.
H11................................ 50............................... 1200........................ ECE/SAE.

Attached Thumbnails Headlight Upgrade?-67700032-dual-bulb-halogen-headlight.jpg  

Last edited by joflewbyu2; 04-12-2011 at 08:41 PM.
Old 04-13-2011, 12:03 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

i didn't even consider the led headlight. i am using something that's about a tenth the cost and is as bright or brighter than the trucklite unit. it's the E-code headlight. it's made for the european riders and is nothing more than a glass housing rather than our chrome plated plastic reflector, and the focus is for length of beam and focus rather than our american headlights. hella and cibie are the big names when it comes to european headlights. susquehanna motorsports in fleetwood p.a. is where i got mine. it is a direct replacement for the harley headlight and they claim that it puts out 400% more light than stock. it doesn't, but it does focus the beam straight down your lane rather than splattering it all over the place like our stock ones. it doesn't splatter much light off to the right shoulder nor does it illuminate overhead signs and does not shoot a beam across to oncoming traffic. that's how they get extreme performance from a $50 headlight, and i'm using the same sylvania/osram bulb i had in my stock harley plastic housing. the E-code headlight basically focusses the light where you actually need it. be sure to google "susquehanna motorsports" and you'll get a better description than i can provide. you need the one that's for germany or france because great britain riders are riding on the wrong side of the road. the frogs and ***** ride on the right like we do here.

Old 04-13-2011, 12:38 AM
joflewbyu2
Road Master

Originally Posted by emwolb
i didn't even consider the led headlight. i am using something that's about a tenth the cost and is as bright or brighter than the trucklite unit. it's the E-code headlight. it's made for the european riders and is nothing more than a glass housing rather than our chrome plated plastic reflector, and the focus is for length of beam and focus rather than our american headlights. hella and cibie are the big names when it comes to european headlights. susquehanna motorsports in fleetwood p.a. is where i got mine. it is a direct replacement for the harley headlight and they claim that it puts out 400% more light than stock. it doesn't, but it does focus the beam straight down your lane rather than splattering it all over the place like our stock ones. it doesn't splatter much light off to the right shoulder nor does it illuminate overhead signs and does not shoot a beam across to oncoming traffic. that's how they get extreme performance from a $50 headlight, and i'm using the same sylvania/osram bulb i had in my stock harley plastic housing. the E-code headlight basically focusses the light where you actually need it. be sure to google "susquehanna motorsports" and you'll get a better description than i can provide. you need the one that's for germany or france because great britain riders are riding on the wrong side of the road. the frogs and ***** ride on the right like we do here.
With a little more research and understanding you will realize they are talking about an improvement over"SEALED" beam lights that were used in the 80s before replaceable bulbs became the standard. Yes they are better but replaceable bulbs claimed to be at least twice 200% better than sealed lights. The HD dual bulb light is better. Aluminum housing too but with dedicated bulbs in dedicated reflector optics. You get H11 in a wide beam pattern from the reflector and a far reaching H9 from a separate reflector. Now realize both stay on when high beam is chosen so you get both lights lit and both patterns of wide and far. Lastly, E code lights do not have a better pattern than U.S. DOT. E code are same level across with sharp cutoff. DOT are raised on the right for better sign visibility and have a softer cutoff. DOT also uses HB2 bulbs which have higher standards for quality and alignment than regular H4 bulbs.

Old 04-13-2011, 06:12 AM
UltraDune
Cruiser

Where or who sells Trucklite? I checked Eastern Performance website and couldnt find anything, maybe looking right at it. Can you order direct? Thanks.

Old 04-13-2011, 02:38 PM
mac1911
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I must agree with those who have upgraded to the HD LED Headlamp and Passing Lamps. Around $900 retail, but I believe the best money that I have spent on my Ultra Classic. ALong with the LED Tour Pack Upgrage....and the LED Tail Light....and the stereo amp....speakers....and bass ports.....and SE Tuner....and Road Zepplin Air Seat.....Ugh....

They produce an amazing amount of light that is far superior to the amount and type of light the OEM lamp makes.

Old 04-13-2011, 03:18 PM
viperr817
Road Captain

I'm running the silverstar ultra 9004 I believe is the number, and it is a big improvement over stock for 25 bucks

Old 04-13-2011, 03:28 PM
BillyG0856
Road Captain

I installed the LED headlight a couple weeks ago from Dennis Kirk.....it's MUCH BETTER than it was. We went to the rally in Bandera that weekend...and the night riding we did do was 'less' tense....although the deer were still there....at least I could see em. Low beam with the passing lamps was better....High Beam was like another dimension.

I'll be upgrading the passing lamps shortly.

Billy G

Attached Thumbnails Headlight Upgrade?-hill-country-pics-april-2011-030.jpg  

Last edited by BillyG0856; 04-13-2011 at 03:30 PM. Reason: just noticed I had a turn signal/parking light out....
Old 04-23-2011, 08:28 AM
MARRUB
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed the HD LED on my bike and it does make a world of differancce. Thought i could get away with just replacing the headlamp,but i was wrong. It didn't look right with the stock passig lamps. Needless to say the passing lamps are on order and should be here soon, Can't wait to ride with the whole package. I am really impressed with the LED headlamp.