Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

City Driving and Engine Temps

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 03:23 PM
FDHOG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 237 Likes on 123 Posts
Default City Driving and Engine Temps

I see posts on here where guys say they run 230 degrees and lower even in the middle of the summer. That can't be city driving.
I was out today 70+ degrees and just driving around town a lot of stop and go. I'm running straight Dino in my 103 with 1K miles and I was getting a reading of 245. On the highway, I'm below 220. I had the bike tuned by a reputable tuner.
Also do you guys always keep your Engine Temp Mgmt System on, or do you disable it?

Old 04-11-2011, 04:13 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

When sitting at a light, I roll my throttle forward to get cooling air pumping through the motor.

I use syn 3 HD oil

I don't have a "tuner" but use nightrider XIEDS which can contribute to cooler running

oil cooler always helps

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 04-11-2011 at 05:08 PM.
Old 04-11-2011, 04:14 PM
smithbrl
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I don't have an oil temp gauge but I seriously doubt that my oil temp is anywhere close to 245 in the summer time in the city, or the highway for matter. It's probably a lot higher than that. Stock engine with

I always keep my EIMTS turned on, and it kicks in all the time during the summer. Kicked in several times Saturday.

Cecil

Old 04-11-2011, 05:32 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by FDHOG
I see posts on here where guys say they run 230 degrees and lower even in the middle of the summer. That can't be city driving.
I was out today 70+ degrees and just driving around town a lot of stop and go. I'm running straight Dino in my 103 with 1K miles and I was getting a reading of 245. On the highway, I'm below 220. I had the bike tuned by a reputable tuner.
Also do you guys always keep your Engine Temp Mgmt System on, or do you disable it?
I agree with you. My EITMS would consistently be kicking in until I installed a parade fan. Since installing the fan my EITMS has never activated. And yes, my EITMS is always active.

Personally, I believe the parade fan is the best insurance you can buy to prevent excessive engine temperatures in city traffic.

Here's a link to some actual testing I performed with a parade fan...
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/604119-engine-cooling-test-data.html

Old 04-11-2011, 06:35 PM
ucommbxny
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

in summer combo riding city and highway avg. temp is in the 260's, run synthetic oil, and keep eitms on.

Old 04-11-2011, 06:59 PM
RockerMike
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm about 235 in 88 degree weather on the highway (i95 in N. Va traffic stops and goes) - EITMS always on. I agree with 2black1s, I installed a HD parade fan a week ago and the EITMS has not activated since - including about an hour in traffic due to an accident this morning. For me I think it is the solution I needed.

BTW, thanks 2black1s, I purchased The fan after reading your parade fan threads.

Old 04-11-2011, 07:10 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,722 Likes on 1,547 Posts

Originally Posted by RockerMike
BTW, thanks 2black1s, I purchased The fan after reading your parade fan threads.
Same here. I have an Oil cooler and that quickly cools the oil (go figure) but does nothing for the engine heat. I bought 2 Lenale fans, one for each bike and neither overheated when we got caught in traffic Saturday during the Charleston Bridge run.

Bikes never entered EITMS creeping along for 1 hour in the low 90's with the fans on. Even after stopped for 1 full minute... Just to test I turned my fan off and 3 minutes later....one cylinder. Turned the fan back on and after about 5 minutes or so, back to two cylinders.

THANKS 2black1s!

lp

Old 04-11-2011, 07:58 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Recently made some interesting temperature observations myself. I finally finished my temp monitoring system last week when I added the front and rear CHT, with a small rotary switch, I now have the capability to toggle through temps; oil supply from pan, cooler in, cooler out, return to pan , front CHT, and rear CHT. There is absolutely no reason to have this type of monitoring system except I'm trying to capture actual data to quantify the effectiveness of my cooling system prototype. Anyway, my tune condition is lean like stock so my observations can be associated to the temps experienced on a stock bike. Weather conditions 85F and sunny. "Normal" highway cruising within 7-10 min riding, my rear CHT normalizes to 280F, while the front CHT is typically 20-30F cooler when traveling. After stopping for just a minute or two, the front will catch up and they will both jump up over 300F. Ran into some dead stop and roll construction traffic, within 4-5 minutes my rear and front was 340F. My bike is an 06 so it doesn't have EITMS. These temps I experienced were in conjunction with a very effective fan assisted oil cooler. Before the mods and the ability to monitor temps accurately, I know my bike was running way hotter than it is now. At least now I know just exactly how hot. Just for general info, it only takes about three minutes of idle from a cold start (first start of the day) to break the ECM "warmed up" temp of 167F. BTW my oil temp never went over 205F today. Some of my previous assumptions about the relationship between oil temp and CHT are no longer relevant, but now I can draw new conclusions, not just assumptions. Have fun digesting the new info.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:04 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member

Recently made some interesting temperature observations myself. I finally finished my temp monitoring system last week when I added the front and rear CHT, with a small rotary switch, I now have the capability to toggle through temps; oil supply from pan, cooler in, cooler out, return to pan , front CHT, and rear CHT. There is absolutely no reason to have this type of monitoring system except I'm trying to capture actual data to quantify the effectiveness of my cooling system prototype. Anyway, my tune condition is lean like stock so my observations can be associated to the temps experienced on a stock bike. Weather conditions 85F and sunny. "Normal" highway cruising within 7-10 min riding, my rear CHT normalizes to 280F, while the front CHT is typically 20-30F cooler when traveling. After stopping for just a minute or two, the front will catch up and they will both jump up over 300F. Ran into some dead stop and roll construction traffic, within 4-5 minutes my rear and front was 340F. My bike is an 06 so it doesn't have EITMS. These temps I experienced were in conjunction with a very effective fan assisted oil cooler. Before the mods and the ability to monitor temps accurately, I know my bike was running way hotter than it is now. At least now I know just exactly how hot. Just for general info, it only takes about three minutes of idle from a cold start (first start of the day) to break the ECM "warmed up" temp of 167F. BTW my oil temp never went over 205F today. Some of my previous assumptions about the relationship between oil temp and CHT are no longer relevant, but now I can draw new conclusions, not just assumptions. Have fun digesting the new info.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:06 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member

sorry bout the double post, don't know what happened

Quick Reply: City Driving and Engine Temps