Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed the Premium Tour-Pak Hinges

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 05:14 PM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Installed the Premium Tour-Pak Hinges

By now, I must be the last guy that has installed these Premium Tour-Pak Hinges, but they make such a great cosmetic improvement that I wanted to show them to you.

These are the hinges that HD should make standard on a $20k bike, but I'm reasonably happy to pay the $50 to get ride of the ugly hinges that come standard.

Easy to install in about a half hour, but a couple of things are worth noting:
  • Use a sharp 3/16 inch drill bit. The plastic on the tour-pak is soft enought that you can melt it if you use a dull bit. That's a bad thing!
  • After drilling out the rivets on the old hinges, be sure to drill through the lid and body of the tour-pak and clean up the holes so that you get a clean install.

The end result is a great match for the nice latches on the other side of the tour-pak. Definitely dresses up the bike!

Old 05-15-2011, 05:29 PM
Dionicio
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks Great!, and no Your Not the last Guy to install Them, I am. Thanks for the installation hints.

Old 05-15-2011, 05:33 PM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I installed them about a month ago, much stronger and better then the stock ones. My stock ones where rattling like crazy, not with these........no more rattles.

Steve

Old 05-15-2011, 06:45 PM
AlCherry
Road Warrior
Received 89 Likes on 50 Posts

Did mine a couple years ago. Didn't know you had ugly hinges did ya? (Till you put these on)

Old 05-15-2011, 06:54 PM
DeputyMike
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, a huge improvement! Can't believe a "limited" comes standard with those ugly tin hinges!

Old 05-15-2011, 06:56 PM
1st 96 ultra
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why put them on a 20 thousand dollar bike ,they don't put them on the 25 thousand ones ether put they sure are worth it

Old 05-15-2011, 07:22 PM
Teardrop
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by DeputyMike
Yep, a huge improvement! Can't believe a "limited" comes standard with those ugly tin hinges!

Hell a CVO comes with the unly hinges also.

Old 05-15-2011, 07:28 PM
Scooter68
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dionicio
Looks Great!, and no Your Not the last Guy to install Them, I am. Thanks for the installation hints.
Unfortuntly for me I will be the last one to install these. Anyone have a part number on these?

Old 05-15-2011, 07:34 PM
user 8373900
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Pastor John
By now, I must be the last guy that has installed these Premium Tour-Pak Hinges, but they make such a great cosmetic improvement that I wanted to show them to you.

These are the hinges that HD should make standard on a $20k bike, but I'm reasonably happy to pay the $50 to get ride of the ugly hinges that come standard.

Easy to install in about a half hour, but a couple of things are worth noting:
  • Use a sharp 3/16 inch drill bit. The plastic on the tour-pak is soft enought that you can melt it if you use a dull bit. That's a bad thing!
  • After drilling out the rivets on the old hinges, be sure to drill through the lid and body of the tour-pak and clean up the holes so that you get a clean install.

The end result is a great match for the nice latches on the other side of the tour-pak. Definitely dresses up the bike!

Was the first thing I did to my Limited when I got it home. Now all you need to do is take the plastic covering off of the botton half.. ;-)

Mark

Old 05-15-2011, 07:38 PM
cdestuck
Supporter

Received 211 Likes on 101 Posts

To those doing this mod, as the instructions state, drill out the screw holes to the proper size. Some think they can skip this step and screw the screws through the holes to enlarge them. Techs have been seeing damaged tour paks caused by this mistake. Just sayin!

Quick Reply: Installed the Premium Tour-Pak Hinges