Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hesitation and Sputtering

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 08:13 AM
Reaper22
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will say, Your wrench is very observant, good find on his behalf, Thanks for sharing..

Old 06-19-2011, 05:24 PM
stevepacman
Road Master
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I recently replaced my throttle position sensor since it was cheap enough to do myself - still bad.

Decided to raise my fuel tank partially so I could get a good look at all the wiring and connections and found my mech inadvertently routed my new Screamin Eagle 10mmm plug wires incorrectly when they did my 103" Stage II.

The wire was resting against the top edge of the rear rocker box cover and is chaffed down about 1/4 of its thickness. Re-routed the wire free from heat and harm until I can get it replaced.

Not calling it fixed just yet, but I was able to ride about 40 miles in 100 deg heat in traffic and all sorts of conditions without the slightest hesitation.

So far, so good!

Last edited by stevepacman; 06-19-2011 at 05:27 PM.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:45 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by stevepacman
So not long after doing a 103" build, my bike is starting to hesitate intermittently when hot mostly when starting from a stand-still and almost never on high speed runs on the Interstate.

My dealer did all the checks including fuel pressure, compression, spark plugs, ignition coil. They weren't able to duplicate the problem....figures!!
Been there, done that. I fought an intermittent misfire for over a year and finally fixed it just this week. It was only when hot, never at >20% throttle, mostly on the highway in 5th or 6th gear, and would go away on its own for sometimes months at a time. It was very tough to diagnose until recently when it became progressively and rapidly worse and began throwing TPS codes (P0122). Check yours for trouble codes.

Ultimately replacing the TPS did it for me, but this type of issue could be almost anything from a leaky fuel hose inside the tank to a bad coil. I had a bad TPS and also a leaky fuel-pressure regulator, but I think the former was causing all or most of my symptoms.

For those with '07's, these bikes are infamous for idle issues, and most of it is covered in TT-410. IAC motors regulate idle and can get dirty or sludged-up from breather blow-by into the induction module. I had to replace mine last year. OTOH I don't think this is the OP's problem.

I know the Softails have an issue with the fuel line leaking in the tank. Has anyone ever heard of this on the Touring bikes? BTW, mine is an '07.
Yes, they probably use the same parts. The fuel-pressure regulator should also be on your list of suspects.