Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extend Warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 11:15 PM
E N AZ
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extend Warranty?

I have to decide wether or not to extend the warranty on my 2010 Ultra Classic. I have had it for 22 months and now and have 23,876 miles.

I have not had a single maintenance issue up to this point. I'm worried about Murphy's Law. If I don't purchase an extension, I fear the inevitable onslaught of problems.

Last edited by E N AZ; 07-01-2011 at 11:19 PM.
Old 07-01-2011, 11:22 PM
vtwinbob
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that's a tough call there, really up to you, have you read this thread kind of makes ya wonder. and might help with your choice https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...t-repairs.html

Old 07-01-2011, 11:31 PM
myred55
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by E N AZ
I have to decide wether or not to extend the warranty on my 2010 Ultra Classic. I have had it for 22 months and now and have 23,876 miles.

I have not had a single maintenance issue up to this point. I'm worried about Murphy's Law. If I don't purchase an extension, I fear the inevitable onslaught of problems.
You will hear pro & con regarding wether to purchase an extended warranty. I personally purchased a 5 yr on my 09 Ultra, last week I used it to replace the compensator.

Old 07-01-2011, 11:43 PM
E N AZ
Road Captain

Originally Posted by vtwinbob
that's a tough call there, really up to you, have you read this thread kind of makes ya wonder. and might help with your choice https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...t-repairs.html
That was eye opening. I'm leaning towards beginning negotiations on a warranty extension.

Old 07-01-2011, 11:45 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I ride ALOT and log tons of miles, so the extended warranty for me is almost a guarunteed winner. Depends on how many miles you think you'll put on the bike as that increases the likelihood of repairs or wear n tear. For me I could have 150,000 - 200,000 miles on the bike by the time the warranty expires, so I'm bound to get my money back in my case, whether it's a top-end, etc.

Old 07-01-2011, 11:57 PM
E N AZ
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Arizona
I ride ALOT and log tons of miles, so the extended warranty for me is almost a guarunteed winner. Depends on how many miles you think you'll put on the bike as that increases the likelihood of repairs or wear n tear. For me I could have 150,000 - 200,000 miles on the bike by the time the warranty expires, so I'm bound to get my money back in my case, whether it's a top-end, etc.
I agree that mileage seems to be the key. There are many people like you that ride much more than I do, however I think I'm putting on enough miles to justify the cost of the warranty extension. I don't ride everyday, but I have still managed to log over 1,000 miles per month.

I plan to ride this bike in all 50 states, and from the great input I have been getting, I will probably go with the warranty.

Old 07-02-2011, 12:07 AM
Azpostal
Novice

I purchased one for peace of mind. Hope to never use it but like others have said if you put a lot of miles on it's best to have in the long run.

Old 07-02-2011, 12:13 AM
Daddio
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Buy More Warranty

I am in the same situation. I have a 2010 Ultra Limited. My 24 month period is up at the end of August. I only have 4,000 miles on the bike. I have replaced the Compensator with the SE version, exchanged the CAT loaded headpipe, mufflers, put in Andrews cams, SE intake/Air cleaner setup, HD Tuner, heavier clutch...all at my expense, supposedly with the Dealer's and MOCO's blessing as far as the "warranty" is concerned...
Now that I am getting close to that 2 yr. expiration date I am beginning to hear strange noises, either real or imaginary ones in my head, (hee-hee) and cant make a decision on whether to sink the $$$ into an extension or take my chances??
The bike is paid for and most likely (at this point in time) will be keeping it for the duration (?) as long as I continue to ride...and it'll probably be the last brand new bike I'll ever own.
I have never bought any warranty extension on my bikes in the past.
My last bike was a 2005 Ultra I kept for 5 years until I got my current bike...It only had 10,000 miles on it when I sold it to buy this new one 2 yrs ago this August...that bike never had any warranty issue (or issues after the 2 yr period ran out) with the excption of a bad throwout bearing and a snapped off/frayed throttle cable... really should've held on to it and gone ahead and put the brakes and tires it was needing on it...any saved the $26K+ I spent on this new one...
Anyway, however I look at it, I am getting a bit older now and dont neccessarily enjoy crawling around in my garage and hunching over a bike to work on it as much as I once did...if stuff begins to happen am I going to want to fix it/work on it myself, or pay somebody to fix it for me??...
Can you finance/ pay monthly on a warranty plan through the MoCo or do you have to make an arrangement for a set period/amount of time up front and pay for it all when you take out the contract?...that way if I ever decide to sell the bike I can just stop the payments on the extended warranty...
A lot of questions I need to have answered and decide upon by the end of this coming August...
Any input or response will be appreciated.

Old 07-02-2011, 12:43 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,963 Likes on 2,309 Posts

I ride a lot of miles 35-45K a year typically.

On the BT's I have had extended warranties and they have paid for themselves on each bike.

On my sporty no extended warranty, and not needed it either. Sporty gets about 7-10K a year, and is ridden pretty hard most of the time.

Kevin

Gear Up & Ride in! DK Custom 4th Annual Open House, June 8th. 🏍️ Click HERE For The Lowdown.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 07-02-2011, 08:22 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Daddio
supposedly with the Dealer's and MOCO's blessing as far as the "warranty" is concerned...

...that way if I ever decide to sell the bike I can just stop the payments on the extended warranty...

Any input or response will be appreciated.
Better get yourself a copy of the contract and read it before you jump in. There are all kinds of guys that have had warranty service denied because of the engine modifications that they (and you) have done...even if it was performed by the HD dealer...simply does not matter...you had better read the contract.

Stop the payments? You have got to be kidding. It don't work that way partner. Think about what you said.