Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Limp Mode

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 05:15 AM
JEDHRMC
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're having problems with limp mode engaging at the wrong time, you can just turn it off. Don't remember exactly how, but check the owners manual - its in there.

JED

Old 06-29-2012, 09:21 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 279 Likes on 214 Posts

You can disable the EITMS .. Limp Mode being caused by Code P1511

19. P1511 Throttle Actuator Control Power Management Failure of Throttle Control Actuator ...

This is no easy fix other than reset and go until it happens again .. After happening 4-5 times that's enough for me .. What warranty is for ..

Old 06-29-2012, 09:36 AM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I never go into limp mode — or my bike either :-)

Old 06-30-2012, 04:58 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Potato_Potato
I never go into limp mode — or my bike either :-)
Will never happen on my EVO either, sometimes wonder about this new improved **** ..

Old 06-30-2012, 08:31 PM
papifun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

maybe im wrong -- but you guys got limo mode and EITMS mode all confused.. there is a big difference between the two...

Old 07-13-2012, 09:13 PM
keith_stepp
Banned
Received 1,505 Likes on 1,077 Posts

Had this problem happen to me on Wednesday. The parts to repair the problem are cheap, but they charged me 1.5 hours in labor (under warranty). I did some reading on this subject and apparently, it has been a known problem since the 2008 models. I'm a bit surprised that this subject does not get more attention. I am not satisfied that the problem is solved, only repaired and prone to fail again at some point in the future, when it is not under warranty anymore.

Where exactly is this connector and what can be done to reduce its vulnerability to vibration (one of the main causes)?

(Note to self: Need to get a service manual dude.)

Old 07-13-2012, 09:59 PM
threeten
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is actually four ETC modes. From Harley:

"ETC operation is designed for rider safety and continued motorcycle operation, even in the event of a component failure. The Electronic Control Module monitors the status of the grip sensors, throttle plate actuation, and airflow. If any problems are detected, the motorcycle will disable cruise control, illuminate the check engine lamp, and revert to one of the following fallback modes.

Limited Performance Mode

The rider will experience near-normal operation. The motorcycle will operate with provisions to guard against unintended acceleration.

ETC Power Management Mode
The throttle plate actuator returns to an idle detent or limp home position, which will provide enough torque to achieve speed of about 25 mph (40 kph). The motorcycles response to grip sensor input is greatly reduced.

ETC Forced Idle Mode

The throttle plate actuator is forced to a fast idle position which will provide enough torque to crawl, but not enough torque to operate at traffic speed.

ETC Forced Shutdown Mode

The engine is forced to shut down."

Old 07-13-2012, 10:46 PM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by papifun
maybe im wrong -- but you guys got limo mode and EITMS mode all confused.. there is a big difference between the two...
You're not wrong, they have it really confused. The two are in no way related. One, EITMS is a normal mode, "limp" mode is the result of a problem.

Old 07-14-2012, 01:51 AM
smithbrl
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by keith_stepp
Had this problem happen to me on Wednesday. The parts to repair the problem are cheap, but they charged me 1.5 hours in labor (under warranty). I did some reading on this subject and apparently, it has been a known problem since the 2008 models. I'm a bit surprised that this subject does not get more attention. I am not satisfied that the problem is solved, only repaired and prone to fail again at some point in the future, when it is not under warranty anymore.

Where exactly is this connector and what can be done to reduce its vulnerability to vibration (one of the main causes)?

(Note to self: Need to get a service manual dude.)
I would also worry that the problem is not cured-only temporarily fixed. Seems like we get a thread on this every week or so, do a search. HD design/engineering is really sucking at fixing this. I don't think they care (imagine that). This is beyond ridiculous.

What did they do to "fix" your problem? Replace the pins on the throttle body?

Last edited by smithbrl; 07-14-2012 at 01:53 AM.
Old 07-14-2012, 04:17 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member

My ECM was replaced under warranty .. Waited a few days to respond as been leery of it happening again .. But after 200 miles feeling a little better ...

Quick Reply: Limp Mode