Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter Engages While Motor is Running

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 07:33 AM
Will CF
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Starter Engages While Motor is Running

OK Guys. I rode my bike to work today because I'm not sure how many more good riding days we are gonna get this riding season. When I was about 5 minutes from work I stopped at a Red Light and put the bike in Neutral. Immediately I heard a Clicking and whirring of the starter motor engaging !!!! It continued to do this anytime I pulled in the clutch. When I Got to work I Hit the Kill switch when I pulled in the clutch as I entered the parking lot and coasted into a parking slot. Put the bike in neutral and turned the switch back on... Sure enough, the Bike started right up without ever touching the starter button .... Has anyone ever seen this happen ??

This is on a 2009 FLHRC with about 15,000 miles on the clock.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:02 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Your starter switch has shorted out. I had the same thing happened to my '09 Ultra Classic at 15,500 miles. Had the starter switched replaced and 2 weeks later the starter had to be replaced.

If you want to ride it to the dealer you can disconnect the hot wire on the starter. When you get ready to start it just touch the wire to the starter terminal. Be sure the starter wire doesn't touch anything while you're riding to the dealer. You can use some electrical tape.

Harley obviously has a starter switch issue. There's no telling how many others have had or will have the same issue.

Last edited by shortride; 11-08-2011 at 08:08 AM.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:16 AM
ultrapacman
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A friend of mine had the same issue on his 09 Ultra. He found that if he didn't pull the clutch all the way in while shifting his starter wouldn't engage...that's how he got his to the dealer for a switch replace.

Old 11-08-2011, 09:36 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

..or after starting pull the starter wire, on the front side of the solenoid ( black cylinder riding on the starter) on the front side is a connector near the tranny vent hose.

it has a green wire, pull that off.

if you have changed bars check for pinched wires.

it could be the switch circuit or a shorted wire somewhere along the way.

the danger in the starter operating is the starter gear and clutch ring gear being chewed up, also the starter motor could overheat and burn up.

so this could get expensive quickly

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 11-08-2011 at 09:51 AM.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:46 AM
69cj
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My starter switch was also the culprit. You can get a Drag Specialties switch from the Harley dealer for about 1/2 the price of the Mocco unit. The parts guy thinks that Drag makes them for Mocco.

Old 11-08-2011, 11:04 AM
classic53
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What everybody else is saying. Your starter switch has a short somewhere.

Old 11-08-2011, 11:24 AM
Will CF
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Super !! Thanks Guys... I will see if I can pull the connector off of the solenoid after starting so I can limp this thing home....

Thanks for the Great Advice !!

Old 11-08-2011, 12:34 PM
big ears
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Same happened to me. 09 with 18000 miles. Service dept. was well aware of the problem.

Old 11-08-2011, 03:11 PM
stupid_rope
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by big ears
Service dept. was well aware of the problem.
But because its not a life safety issue, it wont be recalled.

Although, almost everything going wrong on a bike is life saftey...wonder how the brake issue came to be a recall?

I know just 1.5 months prior to the recall, Grove's Winchester HD literally said, "I've never heard of the brake switch going bad on 09 and up bikes." and, "Nah, there's no problem with that, its fine." At least your dealership was aware of the problem.

Old 11-08-2011, 04:49 PM
EricD10563
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

I had the same problem took at least three trips to the dealer to get it fixed. Replaced the starter switch, the starter, starter solenoid, it was a PITA I'm not 100% sure it's fixed now, time will tell and of course I'm out of warranty.

Latley every now and then my ABS comes on and I have to restart the bike to get it to shut off but it might come on again anyway, there are a too many electrical gremlins on the newer bikes.

Quick Reply: Starter Engages While Motor is Running