Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TBW vs Throttle Cables

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 03:05 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 396 Likes on 338 Posts

I think that some 'smoothing' of the data is done, so as to take out "spurious" input signals such as hand slightly moving throttle on bumps.--- as there is no longer strong spring tension to work against

my 09 the throttle works exactly as expected every time

- a switch to cables would require an 07 style set up, the smaller throttle body and a change of sensors--- and ecm

so it can be done, but expensive.

Mike

Old 11-22-2011, 03:49 PM
Crunch
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I noticed a throttle lag when I traded my 05 Softail (with carb and cables) for a 2010 street glide (EFI and TBW,) but the Vance & Hines Throttlepak completely solved that. Feels like a new bike for $200.

Old 11-22-2011, 07:53 PM
SmittyFXDL
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I notice a slight lag in response at times when Im working on friction zone and slow maneuvers. Dealership told me if I went with race tuner that the slight lag can be taken out and the rev limiter can me moved higher up in rpm. With PCV this cannot be done.
I was just wondering about the cables as an option as the TBW seems to be a PIA when changing out bars. Ill just have to be extra diligent and patient when I get to my bagger bar project. Thanks for the feedback and info.

Old 11-22-2011, 08:07 PM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 606 Likes on 328 Posts

You can always get home even with a broken throttle cable. Wouldn't you be dead in the water if the TBW failed?

Old 11-22-2011, 08:07 PM
Sath
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't notice the lag now but when I came off my cabled bike I did. Don't think you have a option to change over without some major cost. Its one of those mods that was shoved down everyones throat without a feasable option. I guess HD saved a few bucks and yes I do pefer cables vs a tps. We have sensors fail at work everyday, not throttle position sensors but sensors in general. One part cycle they work the next they don't and you are down until adjusted or replaced.

Old 11-22-2011, 08:27 PM
SmittyFXDL
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

That was another reason I was asking. A guy at the dealership said his tbw went out and he had to take the housing apart and fiddle with the wiring somehow, then it started up.

Old 11-22-2011, 08:39 PM
Eric Moore
Road Captain
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

the tbw has a limp mode that will allow you to get home or somewhere ... & as far as the lag in the throttle...my pcv fixed mine.. (thanks fuel moto) . its like a cable throttle now...

Old 11-22-2011, 08:46 PM
jjpish
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have never noticed any lag. Really can't feel any difference from my 03.

Old 11-22-2011, 09:11 PM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't like TBW in cars either since fuel injection can be adjusted to have the same desire effect (traction control, launch control, etc.). However, it's on the bike and if it's tuned properly, it's seamless.

Old 11-22-2011, 10:35 PM
mglax13
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

I don't have TBW on my bike, only my car, but I just did an ape install today (similar to the one you're planning) and consider yourself lucky you have TBW, much easier to extend those wires than it is to install new longer throttle\idle cables.

Quick Reply: TBW vs Throttle Cables