Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Limp Mode

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 12:32 AM
smithbrl
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Limp Mode

Just an FYI for TBW bike owners:

I've been having problems with my bike going into limp mode for the last couple of years. I get a Check Engine Light and it throws codes 1510-EFI Limited Performance Mode (limp mode), 2127-TGS2 Low/Open and 2138-TGS Correlation Error (twist grip sensor). It's done this 4 times and shows the same codes each time.

Lately, the engine sputters and stumbles especially when I leave a stop sign or red light and have to make an immediate turn at slow speed. Also, if the bike is idling and I turn the bars from stop to stop the engine will rev up slightly then return to normal idle. I can have the bike in neutral and grab the bars only, with my hands off the grips and it will do it, so I know I'm not moving the throttle to cause this.

I had an appointment with the dealer this morning, so last night I went out to my shop and messed around with the wiring harness, wiggling and pulling on wires and found the harness on the right side right next to the neck could be wiggled and twisted and the motor would rev up slightly just like when I turned the bars and when I twisted it just right the Check Engine Light would come on and show the same 3 codes as above. I cleared the codes and did it 2 more times and got the same results.

When I went in for my service appointment I was able to talk to the tech and show him what I had found. Fortunately, I was able to duplicate the problem with him watching.

There was a ty rap pulled tight around the wiring harness and the tech found a broken wire right under it. He cut out the bad section of harness and replaced the wiring. He rebundled the harness and supported it in a different manner to hopefully relieve the flexing that contributed to the break in the wiring.

I then took the bike for about a 120 mile ride with a good portion of it being along a nice, curvy road and the bike performed flawlessly. Never sputtered or stumbled.

Something for TBW bike owners to keep in mind if they suffer limp mode.

Old 03-11-2012, 01:28 AM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,743 Likes on 980 Posts
Default as I see it

Hd needs to go back to the throttle cables, but wire is less
expensive than cables, so more screw for you, and more profit for Harley Davidson

Last edited by 6 gun; 03-11-2012 at 01:30 AM.
Old 03-11-2012, 01:40 AM
loanrider
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the Info I have a 12 RG, don't have that problem but it is good to know

Old 03-11-2012, 03:26 AM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,480 Likes on 2,478 Posts

You couldn't GIVE me a TBW bike. Stupid problems & serious lag.

Old 03-11-2012, 05:02 AM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 602 Likes on 325 Posts

I like to keep things simple..A cable to a carb or throttle body would remove a lot of trouble..

Old 03-11-2012, 07:59 AM
obritt
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to see you finally got that problem fixed. I know it has been giving you trouble for some time now. Take care old buddy.

Old 03-11-2012, 09:23 AM
Bushrider
Tourer

Thanks for the info. It is likely that there will be other bikes with wires tied exactly the same way and mine might be one of them!

You probably saved yourself a lot of $$$ just by going and messing around troubleshooting.

Old 03-11-2012, 09:26 AM
FXR_Hamster
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good to know info, thanks for posting.

Old 03-11-2012, 01:13 PM
RAWolters
Stage I

Just happened to me last night on my 09 flhtp. Thanks for the info, off to check mine out.

Old 03-11-2012, 02:59 PM
Loc_Tite
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Thank You.

Quick Reply: Limp Mode