Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overheating !!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 11:54 AM
dodger413
Tourer
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Overheating !!

hey gang.....

my bike is overheating, and i need some help figuring out why. Hope someone can help.

2007 electraglide police, 103 motor with oil cooler. 24,000 miles.

it recently started overheating. always ran 210-220 range, but now reaches 230, 260 and beyond. i have an oil temp gauge and watch it often. figured the overheating was oil related (?) so installed a oil pressure gauge also. pressure is 45 to start and stays strong until oil gets to 230 and above then drops.

the oil cooler is functional, took it apart, it gets very hot when 230 temps are reached so appears to be working as designed. it's the stock cooler with thermostat and around 6 or 7 rows of cooling. mounted low below regulator.

will try mounting cooler higher for ha ha's, but it worked fine until now, so don't see why it is the problem now.

no modifications before the problem started. figure on trying a larger oil cooler, maybe even fan assisted cooler.

BUT, something must have changed to start the overheating and i can't figure it out. hate to bring it to dealer and have then start throwing parts in an effort to cool it down at $95 an hour. am also considering just trading it in for a new streetglide as the easy way out.

Could really use ideas and help here. would appreciate ANY thoughts.

thanks

Old 05-13-2012, 12:07 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

- first thing comes to mind that if you think your oil has been cooked, replace it.

- I see 25º cooler oil temps with my fairing lowers on ( 105º ambient when tested- no cooler)- adding fairing lowers will help direct more air to the motor and the oil cooler.

No trouble codes ?

The source of the problem:

1.) temperature measurement method

2.) actual change in temps

change in air flow, oil flow ( heat removal)

change in heat- motor operation, EFI, fuel

Not sure of the 07 Police. On most models oil pressure is regulated below 35 PSI. Could there be an obstruction like the oil filter, any clogged passages showing the higher pressure ( 45 PSI)- where is the oil pressure being measured ?

The 07 has o2 sensors, you could put a voltmeter on the sensors and see of the output voltage indicates correct efi fuel metering- you should see 4.5 to 5 volts DC

That's all I have

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 05-13-2012 at 12:18 PM.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:26 PM
Fast Aire
Former Sponsor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We have basically the same build & miles, mines a SG vs a Police model but not enough difference to matter. Mine runs from 200-230 depending on all the factions going on. It has hit 260 but thats on a real hot day & Im riding hard to get it up there & it doesnt stay there long if I back off. Any prolonged temps above 260 is a different matter.

I have read on other forums that some are having issues with the oil cooler thermostat not functioning correctly & not cooling correctly. They said it was replaceable but you have to get the part from HD. Just net talk so take it for what its worth.

I would change the oil temp sending unit before doing anything else the see how it goes. ie: Replace the cheap parts first

If everything was good & suddenly changed then what you had was working fine. Dont throw money at it needlessly.....

Old 05-13-2012, 12:52 PM
NECaveman
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just from your description, I would look at the options you can do at home. If it were mine, I would start with the oil cooler thermostat. When the oil is cold and until it heats up to a certain temp, the thermostat is closed and oil bypasses the cooler. After the oil heats up to a certain temp, the thermostat opens and oil flows through the cooler. If the thermostat malfunctions, it could be closing or partially closing which restricts oil flow through the cooler, result is higher oil temps. A bad thermostat may not appear to have a visual defect. Mounting the cooler higher will not fix the problem. A larger cooler may not be needed since you were okay with the temps before this issue, expensive option that may not fix the issue if its not a cooler problem. Cooked oil? If using the correct engine oil, it should stand up in your bike even without a cooler. Another option, pull out the thermostat and run the bike and see what the oil temp does. It won't hurt anything, the oil will continuously flow through the cooler. If the oil temps still run high its not the thermostat and if the temps run cooler it was the thermostat.

I have a 2009 SG stock 96. Installed the HD cooler in 2010, made a noticeable drop in temps. In 2012, installed cams, Stg 1 intake, SEST and dyno run and brought down the temps even more. I don't use a oil temp gauge and go by feel.

Use a good quality dino or synthetic oil and filter of your choice.

Old 05-13-2012, 03:34 PM
WARDSPARTSWERKS
Banned
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

The thermostat is a possibility but not a probability, there are more cases of percieved thermostat failure than actual failure; the life expectancy of the OEM stat is 10,000 cycles, I highly doubt you have worn one out in 24,000 miles. I would first validate the dash guage with a turkey frying thermometer in the pan. If the gauge or sender is not faulty then benchtest the tstat; pull it out, put about 1/2" of cooking oil in a pan and heat it up to 220F, dip it in the oil with a homemade wire holder, or forceps and the plunger should push out about 1/8". When the plunger does push out, that indicates a functional tstat. I know they are advertised 185F, but they only start to move at that temp, they are not fully stoked until 220F. If it turns out you do have a bad one I have a low temp replacement that will bring you down about 15 degrees lower than what you used to see. The O2 sensor is a good component to scrutinize also.
Regards
Jason

Old 05-13-2012, 04:22 PM
speakerfritz
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Over heating could be many things....dirty air filter...bad engine temp sensor...o2sensors...but...don't over look carbon build up in the heads which would raise compression and generate more heat. Do a cold compression check.

Old 05-13-2012, 05:52 PM
dodger413
Tourer
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default still overheating

Thanks to everyone offering suggestions on my overheating problem.

oil, filter changed twice since problem began. running 20/50w synthetic oil.
oil pressure is read at oil pressure sending unit location and appears to work correctly.
oil temperature sending unit checked, worked correctly. it reads at the oil pan.

i've pretty much given up on the problem being oil related.

what baffles me, is the suddenness of the overheating. it must be something gone wrong somewhere in the motor? when cold, and normal temps the bike still runs excellent and strong. when it hits 260 it loses much power, and almost feels like back pressure or a drag on power. plus running a bit ragged.

anybody have any suggestions on an internal motor ailment that would cause the problem?
i'm ready to bring it in to the shop. either to fix or sell. i can ride for about 40 minutes before it reaches 260 and i head home. it's great for 40 minute rides, har har.

again, thanks for any help.

OH, i have an 07 night train to ride while i figure this out, so it's not all bad.

Old 05-13-2012, 06:31 PM
Bigdad68
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check your plugs. If they are white to light grey you might be running way lean! Burned my 88 up with a lean MAP and Tune. Now running the Zippers Thundermax

Old 05-13-2012, 07:27 PM
Lonewolf176
Road Warrior
Received 270 Likes on 169 Posts

It sure sounds like it's sumping. Hot oil and losing power. Next time it does that pull the plug from the bottom of the cases and check how much oil comes out. Should be no more than 4-6 oz's. Be carefull as the oil is hot.

Old 05-13-2012, 07:33 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Lonewolf176
It sure sounds like it's sumping. Hot oil and losing power. Next time it does that pull the plug from the bottom of the cases and check how much oil comes out. Should be no more than 4-6 oz's. Be carefull as the oil is hot.
I'm far from being an expert but this logic is pretty sound.

Quick Reply: Overheating !!