Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flat this weekend on a trip...

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 02:55 PM
12limited
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Flat this weekend on a trip...

First time for everything...first flat on a bike.
Wife and myself on a trip this weekend and picked up what could have been a nail in the rear tire...the one I replaced just 4400 miles ago. Nothing present in the hole, just a hole and no air.
Luckily we had no accident and did not go down...I did not notice nothing wrong till I got off a 4 lane at 70 MPH for a drink of water and leg stretch. Noticed it was hard to steer when turning at a red light. No squirrely back end or nothing. I thought something maybe wrong with front tire but when I got it stopped the rear tire looked low...but actually it had no air at all in it. I was surprized the tire was still on the rim and not compressed like a other flat tires I have seen in the past.

Luckly, I carry a tire plug kit and a small Slime compressor. Plugged the hole and aired it back up in a few minutes...went to a hotel for the night and to find a HD dealer open on Monday. Again I was lucky we were only 24 miles from Columbus GA. I do not trust plugs enough to make the 350 miles home.
Next AM took off to Columbus GA, got to the dealer about 08:15 and had to wait till 12:40 before they got the new tire installed.
I thought since I was traveling, Harley dealers got you in and out quickly, but guess not for all dealers.
This delay put us in the afternoon where all the thunderstorms start kicking up...we got drowned for 2 hours around Montgomery and again as we just about got home.

Oh well we were very lucky that no one got hurt due to the flat tire or riding home in the storms and I have a new tire to wear out ...plus I had enough money to pay for the tire and install. All worked out well considering. We still had a good time anyway, the wife is a trouper through all that. 1100 miles of fun, with minor set backs and wet butts.

Old 05-23-2012, 03:21 PM
PassRusher75
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for sharing.
Glad you are OK with the flat and the Wifey!
Sounds like a good one there...

Old 05-23-2012, 03:24 PM
bmaier
Road Warrior
Received 94 Likes on 63 Posts

Good story, stiff sidewalls can be a lifesaver!

Old 05-23-2012, 03:29 PM
lonerider2
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you were lucky the dealer was open, around here most are closed on Mondays!

Old 05-23-2012, 03:35 PM
Short Fuze
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad everything worked out. Your were lucky to find a dealer with a service department open on Monday. Around here, they're open, but no service department.

Old 05-23-2012, 03:50 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

Ive had plugs in tires many times and I woulda had full confidence you woulda got home safe. I have a plug kit that looks like a mushroom ( name escapes me) I carry in my saddlebag their the next generation tire plugger.

Old 05-23-2012, 04:16 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

This is my biggest fear out on the road. And with these stinkin' spoke wheels the dealer put on before I bought it, my only recourse in case of a flat is to rely on road side assistance and towing.

After I start my new job and get things caught up, my first big purchase is going to be some cast wheels along with the new tires I'm gonna need soon.

Old 05-23-2012, 04:19 PM
wheel752
Road Captain

Next time save yourself a lot of time... and rain
ride the 350 miles home...

Old 05-23-2012, 04:27 PM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

A couple of wet butts are better than a couple pair of worn out boots. I just put put my plug kit back in my bag

Old 05-23-2012, 04:33 PM
cayers
Extreme HDF Member

Glad to hear that it all worked out for you........in the long run!

Quick Reply: Flat this weekend on a trip...