Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shorty Antenna

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 06:39 PM
Charlie Fogg
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Shorty Antenna

Did a search and couldn't find the answers. I have a 2012 Ultra Limited;

Ordered shorty antennas off of Ebay. Seller/Company name is Dickiedeals. The two shorty antennae are identicle but I thought I read that the factory whips are specific left/right for Radio and CB. Will these work and perform on my bike for these all these functions even though they are identicle? Anyone have experience with these?

Old 10-12-2012, 06:46 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 394 Likes on 336 Posts

the cb requires proper loading of the antenna or it may blow the cb radio up.

you may want to check with a local truck stop CB shop, they may have a loading coil they can provide which would fit in the tourpak.

antennas also need to be tuned for the frequency range in which they operate.

for a rubber stubby shorty am/fm/wb any auto parts store will have for $12 or less.

mike

Old 10-12-2012, 07:03 PM
Charlie Fogg
Road Captain

Originally Posted by mkguitar
the cb requires proper loading of the antenna or it may blow the cb radio up.

you may want to check with a local truck stop CB shop, they may have a loading coil they can provide which would fit in the tourpak.

antennas also need to be tuned for the frequency range in which they operate.

for a rubber stubby shorty am/fm/wb any auto parts store will have for $12 or less.

mike
Thanks for the reply. Wouldn't my bike already have a loading coil in the tourpak for the factory whip antenna? (I don't know **** about antenna or loading coils or CB's).

Old 10-12-2012, 07:45 PM
EasternSP
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21,894 Likes on 8,425 Posts

I believe the stock CB antenna is a 1/4 wave antenna for that range, about 26megs.
The AM/FM antenna is optimal at its stock length but you can shorten it about a foot with little noticeable change in performance. The stubby antenna will only pick up the strongest stations.
You can trim your stick antenna down by tacking the small base off of it then cutting about a foot off the wire. Put it back into the base and put a dab of locktite on the set screw.

Old 10-13-2012, 08:10 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Factory antennas from HD, be they whips or the shorter ones, are radio specific, and are markes as such at the base of the antenna. The CB to the right and the AM/FM to the left.

If the after markets you have are not radio specific, I would be very wary lf installing them.

Bill

Old 10-13-2012, 08:24 AM
troop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts

I don't have a CB but I tried both a J&M shorty/$4 rubber ducky on my stereo and they both kinda sucked. The H-D Boom audio shorty works almost as well as the standard antenna. Just some FYI...............

Old 10-15-2012, 06:42 AM
steven62
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have both the whip (stock) and shorty antenna. The whip came on my trike and neither (Whip)is MARKED in any fashion of which one is the CB antenna. The non stock shorty ones are clearly different. Yes, the right side is for the CB ... yet it has no load coil whatsoever. Even the harley shops have no idea if they are removed which one goes where !!! Soooooo..... where is the right antenna marked as the CB antenna???

Old 10-15-2012, 07:27 AM
TwoBlue02
Road Captain
Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

There is no difference in the whip part of the antenna. On my Ultra the CB antenna has a larger based which I believe is where the proper coil is. Going to standard shorties this is lost. I plan on switching to shorties as I never use the CB

Old 10-15-2012, 07:39 AM
shy1
Cruiser

Originally Posted by steven62
I have both the whip (stock) and shorty antenna. The whip came on my trike and neither (Whip)is MARKED in any fashion of which one is the CB antenna. The non stock shorty ones are clearly different. Yes, the right side is for the CB ... yet it has no load coil whatsoever. Even the harley shops have no idea if they are removed which one goes where !!! Soooooo..... where is the right antenna marked as the CB antenna???
CB is marked at the base of my whip antenna in raised lettering.

Old 10-15-2012, 08:10 AM
teedubya
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Why wouldn't you just put the HD shorties on? I bought them and they work fine for both fm and cb reception.

Quick Reply: Shorty Antenna