Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JRI shock setup

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 09:34 AM
Buff58
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JRI shock setup

I bought a set of JRI shocks.
I didn't own a Jack at the time so I had them put on and set up at the local Harley shop.
We called Howard and he helped walk us through it.
I have about 1000 miles on them now.
I have now bought a jack and been playing with them .
I have found that if I run them with about 15mm of sag rather than 30, the bike handles considerably better for me.
Does anybody else have theirs set outside the recommended parameters?

I could call Howard again but I would rather not.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:05 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,854 Likes on 2,420 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Buff58
I could call Howard again but I would rather not.
He'll read this, be sure!

It's possible you will benefit from adjusting the damping, if yours have adjusters. If they do, set the sag correct and start playing. Use 'Search' for 'JRI' and you will find recent threads on setting them up correctly.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:27 AM
jberg
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Sag set-up is universally accepted to be at about 1/3 of shock travel. If you choose not to set it that way you compromise the amount of shock compression and rebound on the road. If you set the sag correctly and adjust damping you will get the ride you should have. The best setting for "feel" varies slightly from the best setting for "performance" but no one would ever tell you to set the sag the way you have. It is meant to neutralize weight of the bike and nothing more. You really should have 2/3 travel for compression amd 1/3 for rebound.
After a few hundred miles of break-in riding reset properly and try again.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:32 AM
jberg
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Buff, are you setting the sag with your weight on the bike and are you taking accurate measurements? It seems to me that you would need to crank the springs pretty hard to get the sag you describe.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:43 AM
Buff58
Cruiser

yes that is with me on the bike.
I screwed the spring nuts down 3 full turns
put a tie wrap on and took it for a spin.
it slid the tie wrap down to about 3/8" of bottoming out.
I'm thinking I'm too heavy for the 30mm sag setting.
I weigh 300 pounds
I will play with it some more but My bike handles much better than it did before I tightend the spring up.
the damping is still set on 12 clicks

Old 07-31-2013, 11:37 AM
JJHOG
Road Captain

I think you need to start all over again and set your Shock Sag correctly. Plus, it takes two people to do this. You can not get accurate measurement by yourself. Also, putting a tie wrap on the shock shaft doesn't really mean anything. The little rubber piece at the end of the shock shaft is meant to be squeezed down when full travel of the shock is necessary. The fact that it was 3/8" above the rubber bumper stop means you had a whole lot of shock travel left. Remember, proper Shock Sag should be 1/3 of total Shock Travel.

What model JRI's do you own?

Old 07-31-2013, 11:46 AM
Buff58
Cruiser

Originally Posted by JJHOG
I think you need to start all over again and set your Shock Sag correctly. Plus, it takes two people to do this. You can not get accurate measurement by yourself. Also, putting a tie wrap on the shock shaft doesn't really mean anything. The little rubber piece at the end of the shock shaft is meant to be squeezed down when full travel of the shock is necessary. The fact that it was 3/8" above the rubber bumper stop means you had a whole lot of shock travel left. Remember, proper Shock Sag should be 1/3 of total Shock Travel.

What model JRI's do you own?

thanks
After 1000 miles from origanl setup they were bottoming out too often and really spungy in curves.

I will start over when I can get some help.

Maybe I just needed to mess with the damping but the way they were, I liked the stock air shock ride much better

they are B-13

Old 07-31-2013, 12:13 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

Thinking about putting my JRI's on tonight. One thing is for sure...I'm going to call Howard when the old shocks are off the bike before I install these. Been scalded by him in teh past for not following directions and I am a firm believer (now) in the fact that he is the man whom knows what needs to be done.

Old 07-31-2013, 12:24 PM
Buff58
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Hogpro
Thinking about putting my JRI's on tonight. One thing is for sure...I'm going to call Howard when the old shocks are off the bike before I install these. Been scalded by him in teh past for not following directions and I am a firm believer (now) in the fact that he is the man whom knows what needs to be done.

We called him when we set the shocks up the first time.
I cant say it was a pleasant experience

I will say I ordered tires and wheels from your outfit and really enjoyed doing business with y'all

Last edited by Buff58; 07-31-2013 at 12:32 PM.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:04 PM
Pete6114
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Buff58
We called him when we set the shocks up the first time.
I cant say it was a pleasant experience
Talked with him shortly ( very shortly). Was told he's to busy and had the impression that he couldn't give a rats *** if i buy from him or not. I figure if he don't have time for me before a sale, how's he after a sale...Onward to other options.....see what i can find in sturgis...

Last edited by Pete6114; 07-31-2013 at 01:09 PM.

Quick Reply: JRI shock setup