Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help!!! Screwup of biblical proportions!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 08:52 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts
Default Help!!! Screwup of biblical proportions!

OK, deep breath. So many things went wrong at once that I almost don't know where to begin, but I need HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Screwup #1: Working seven days a week, and allowing an Indy to touch my brand new motorcycle instead of doing it myself.

Screwup #2: The freakin. INDY (who shall remain nameless at this point) used DOT 5 on a 2013 Road King with anti lock brakes when he installed my apes and chrome controls, despite the fact you can't use DOT 5 on anti lock brake motorcycles.

Here's where I am at. I noticed almost immediately after picking my motorcycle up form the shop that installed the apes, that there was something wrong with the bike. The brakes felt like grabbing a mashed potato. I asked him about it, and he insisted they were properly bled and just give it a few miles and they would be fine. Yeah, and I was stupid enough to believe that. I got home, and thinking I was just low on fluid, I popped the master and looked. SURE AS $HIT, purple DOT 5 in the master. I immediately called the shop, and he said, "DON'T WORRY", just bring it back. Well, F that noise!!! I ain't letting him touch it!!! EVER AGAIN.

So here's what I did. I ran to Auto Zone and bought the largest bottle of DOT 4 brake fluid they had, and used a reverse pressure bleeder and back forced an entire quart of DOT 4 threw both calipers and entire system until nothing but perfectly clear DOT 4 came into the master. The problem is, the brakes still work like $hit. And I mean crappy! Mushy, sloppy, varying lever heights, just all around bad. So here is why I need the forums help. Before I give up and just pay the dealer what could be a staggering amount of money, is there anything I can, or need to do to the brake system to get it back to normal???? Any advice or experience on this or similar anti lock brake matters is more than welcome. I am willing to do whatever I have to, but would rather do it myself than take it to the dealer or let that animal touch it again. So please, what do I do about DOT 5 in a DOT 4 system???
Please advise.

Last edited by bikerlaw; 08-17-2013 at 08:57 PM.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:03 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,945 Likes on 1,705 Posts

Flush with denatured alcohol

Old 08-17-2013, 09:06 PM
robw
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the brakes feel mushy like they may still have air in them try wrapping a rubber band around the hand lever and hang a weight on the foot lever and let it sit overnight. This will allow any bubbles to float up to the master cylinder.

Old 08-17-2013, 09:22 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by dawg
OK, willing to try anything. Why would I do this? Is flushing the system with DOT 4 not adequate? Thanks.

Originally Posted by robw
If the brakes feel mushy like they may still have air in them try wrapping a rubber band around the hand lever and hang a weight on the foot lever and let it sit overnight. This will allow any bubbles to float up to the master cylinder.
Question. Why do I want to do anything to the rear brakes? Are they part and parcel of the front brakes. The INDY only installed handlebars and a longer brake line. Is the rear anti lock system part of the front?

Old 08-17-2013, 09:40 PM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 780 Posts

Originally Posted by dawg
+1, but you may need to take it to the dealer so they can use that Digital Tech to bleed it properly.

Old 08-17-2013, 09:43 PM
2-Piece
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will DOT 5 damage the rubber seals? If so you're looking at a complete rebuild of the braking system.

Old 08-17-2013, 09:59 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by KCFLHRC
+1, but you may need to take it to the dealer so they can use that Digital Tech to bleed it properly.
I just heard of this Digital tech thing tonight. Damnit!

Originally Posted by 2-Piece
Will DOT 5 damage the rubber seals? If so you're looking at a complete rebuild of the braking system.
This is exactly what I am afraid of.

Old 08-17-2013, 10:10 PM
ZUTEDUFF
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Was the rear fluid changed? is the rear mushy? If not just worry with the front calipers. I would take the calipers off and do a complete teardown, clean with brake cleaner and flush the master cylinder and lines with DOT 4 again. reinstall and then make sure you've got ALL the air out of the system....start there before you take it to a dealer.

Old 08-17-2013, 10:11 PM
saxfiend
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bikerlaw
I just heard of this Digital tech thing tonight.
Yep, with ABS, the dealer has to do it with that tool.

If I were you, I'd take it to the dealer and get it thoroughly checked out and fixed, then find a way to make the so-called indy pay for the repairs that he caused. Maybe small-claims court.

JL

Old 08-17-2013, 10:18 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Dot 5 won't hurt the seals but it will not mix with dot 3-4. Need to completely flush with alcohol. Anti-lock system can only be flushed/bled cycling with software. Good luck dealing with indy.

Quick Reply: Help!!! Screwup of biblical proportions!