Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Guage angle

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 10:42 AM
blades11b
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Guage angle

Gents,
picked up my Ultra Classic a few weeks ago and and am beyond happy with the bike so far, lost a little power coming from my 1800 honda but everything else is awesome... except for one thing thats kind of annoying, I am 6' 4" and whenever i look down at the guages i cant read the smaller ones, seems they are faceing flush in the fairing, anyone else have this problem? obviously not the end of the world but does anyone make some add in bezels that tilt them up or something? just a thought!

Old 08-20-2013, 10:51 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 396 Likes on 338 Posts

interesting perspective..you have 2" on me and I've never thought about that.

the air temp gauge is a joke- some replace with oil temp gauge

I click the odo button until I get the "R" range ( estimated) on the odometer- the H-D has no reserve and a low fuel light will also come on- but for the 95% of riding, let's assume that fuel level isn;t foremost in our thoughts

the voltmeter is very coarse and is best used as a rough indicator of charging system health- only pay attention if readings are way higher or lower than usual

and the oil pressure should sit about 32 psi with the motor at road speeds. it may drop down near zero if idling and very hot.

so none of them really need staring at.

funny, when I go to my Honda I loose a little power, just a little...it's a trail 90 !

Mike

Old 08-20-2013, 12:46 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

There's nothing that I am aware of to angle the gauges. If you look on the inside of the faring and see how they slide in, coupled with the fact that the hole in the inner faring would have to be something other than round to handle a tilt, I don't think you will find any solution other than lowering your seat height.

Old 08-20-2013, 02:48 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by blades11b
Gents,
picked up my Ultra Classic a few weeks ago and and am beyond happy with the bike so far, lost a little power coming from my 1800 honda but everything else is awesome... except for one thing thats kind of annoying, I am 6' 4" and whenever i look down at the guages i cant read the smaller ones, seems they are faceing flush in the fairing, anyone else have this problem? obviously not the end of the world but does anyone make some add in bezels that tilt them up or something? just a thought!
I had that problem, not many people ever notice it. I made my own angled adapter rings to put between the gauge and the fairing. actually used two different angles for the upper and lower small gauges, so the gauge faces all point squarely at my eyes. No body makes these that I'm aware of, I looked before I made my own. I used thin wall aluminum tube 2 1/4 OD X 2 1/8 ID, square the tube end then cut an angled slice off at 10 degrees, and 15 degrees, 2 each for all four small gauges.

Old 08-20-2013, 02:54 PM
bent trix
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check your local boat shop. They should have access to any size bezel you want. We used them on our race cars the gauges were mounted on the passenger side, faced them towards the driver.

They make them in assorted colors, anodized.

Old 08-21-2013, 11:36 AM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by bent trix
Check your local boat shop. They should have access to any size bezel you want. We used them on our race cars the gauges were mounted on the passenger side, faced them towards the driver.

They make them in assorted colors, anodized.
The Boat and Auto stuff is too bulky to fit in the recessed gauge pockets on the batwing fairing.