Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much extension on bags?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 10:36 AM
vtdiesel
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default How much extension on bags?

I have a 13 FLHX that I want to install stretched bags on. I don't ever plan on lowering it so that isn't going to be an issue but I do tend to scrape the boards from time to time. I don't want to spend all the money on buying and painting bags to lean into a corner and tear them up. I know that have plates for the bottoms. Anybody know how much extension I can get away with?

Old 09-30-2013, 11:30 AM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 126 Posts

Mine are 5" from Fairing Factory. I'm not an aggressive rider, and I've never scraped a floorboard, but see how these are kind of "scalloped" on the bottom? I think if you scrape these bags, you have bigger problems than scraped bags. You can buy just the bags too, and use your existing lids.

Attached Thumbnails How much extension on bags?-jims-bike3.jpg  
Old 09-30-2013, 01:09 PM
Shovelhed
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 4" stretched w/ 18" rear wheel. Never an issue and I ride it like a dirt bike
If I had stock wheels I'd be scraping bags I bet.

Old 09-30-2013, 03:26 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

I wouldn't go anymore than the CVO bags. I sold my old roadglide because the bags keep hitting. Totally spoiled the ride!!! Looked great though....

Old 09-30-2013, 04:43 PM
vtdiesel
Tourer

When stock the road glides are already lower than street glides. Probably need to grab a friend and the old measuring stick and get some idea of what I can get away with.

Old 09-30-2013, 07:29 PM
BDHABT
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have 4" extended Top Shop bags on my `09 FLHT.I scrape quite often,not bad,but there is no paint on the corners of the bags.

My bike is also 1" higher in the rear than a FLHX.

Old 09-30-2013, 08:03 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 486 Likes on 354 Posts

I am planning the Fat Bagger look on my '13. I think the CVO parts are nice, and unless you lower the bike, they will not scrape. You have to ask yourself what you want. I want 4 inch fully extended bags and a fender overlay. I will not settle for the look of a stock CVO because I "may" scrape. I'm want a specific look that only comes with fully stretched bags. I think any longer than 4 inches and your will scrape constantly in full leans. With 4's, you at least have a chance if you don't go crazy. I rode a bagger with 4 inch stretched bags and air ride pumped all the way up. The bike had plates under the bags, and though I could make them scrape, it took a lot of effort on an offramp, and I was specifically "trying" to scrape them (with permission of course)". That being said, when you can answer what's more important, carving corners or longer bags, you can reach the answer of how much stretch.

Also, what, if anything, do you plan to do with the fender?

Last edited by bikerlaw; 09-30-2013 at 08:20 PM.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:05 PM
06SGWA
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I recently found a good sized gouge/scrape on my left lower from some badass corner I can't recall. Mine are 4 inches at the back. 06 SG with stock wheel and tire height. I don't know how these people go any longer unless their rear wheel is considerably taller.

Old 09-30-2013, 08:40 PM
jsims002
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Geezr Glidr
Mine are 5" from Fairing Factory. I'm not an aggressive rider, and I've never scraped a floorboard, but see how these are kind of "scalloped" on the bottom? I think if you scrape these bags, you have bigger problems than scraped bags. You can buy just the bags too, and use your existing lids.
Same here, Fairing Factory 5" angle cut on the bottom. Scrape my floor boards, jiffy stand but not the bags. Dropped 3" in the back.

Old 10-01-2013, 10:32 AM
vtdiesel
Tourer

Biker law, as far as the fender goes I wasn't quite sure. That's the other piece of the puzzle I guess.

Quick Reply: How much extension on bags?