Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are you KIDDING me?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 06:58 PM
Granpita
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are you KIDDING me?

This morning I was happily installing the HD auxiliary (LED) light kit on my new SGS. Nice kit, BTW. When it became time to remove the dash to install the light switch, I thought I was following the manual when removing the ignition ****. Guess I wasn't holding my mouth correctly because all of a sudden my forks were locked and I couldn't get the ignition **** to reinstall. Well, hell . . . I fully accept that I screwed this up and, according to the manual, I'm going to need the Ignition Alignment Tool (HD-51198 - $90.00) to correct the situation.

I called my selling dealer. I didn't expect them to have it in stock. I also didn't expect them to refuse to sell me one. I could bring the bike in (how with locked forks and no ignition?) or they would pick it up and fix it but they wouldn't sell me the tool! I then drove to the dealership and had a polite discussion with the weekend manager. This dealership has a multi-location owner with the corresponding hierarchy so I didn't get anywhere. At this point, I left and called a not too distant 'non-network' dealer. Two minutes later, I had the tool on order and should have it within a week or so. Problem solved but this raises at least three questions in addition to this title:

1. It boggles the mind that they would refuse to sell an essential tool listed in the '14 Touring Service Manual. What are they thinking?
2. I've bought multiple bikes from this dealer. Do they think THAT will ever happen again? I'm 70 and at some point, I'm either going to need a smaller bike or a trike. Bit of a shame. I like the people there but won't go back with that kind of a corporate attitude.
3. Is there any way to get around needing this tool? I don't mind having to pay for my mistakes but losing the riding time is a bummer, especially at my age.

There now - I feel better.

Old 04-19-2014, 07:05 PM
jstrenn
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've read other threads where people use a long skinny screwdriver to align things. I have also seen a thread that someone made the tool out of copper tubing. I think flattening in a vise or something like that.

Here is a link to one of the threads: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/new-r...ol-a-must.html

Last edited by jstrenn; 04-19-2014 at 07:11 PM. Reason: added link
Old 04-19-2014, 07:07 PM
bigskyroadglide
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 157 Posts

check out you tube, seen a number of videos on how to make the tool you speak of for non 14 model, maybe one of them might help. Surley the tool has not changed that much

Old 04-19-2014, 07:07 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 393 Likes on 335 Posts

squarshed 1/4" copper tubing.

screwdriver method is dicey and can catch some of the cams, but skip some.

watch some youtube videos, easy

I doubt that any riders have bothered to buy the alignment tool, when you can be your own macgiver

mike

Old 04-19-2014, 07:09 PM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

Just get this tool and your troubles are over. You still may need to use a screwdriver to get things in alignment, but once you do this tool will allow you to turn the forks and still use the ignition, without the stock **** in place.

http://www.marcparnes.com/HarleyIgnitionSwitchTool.htm

Old 04-19-2014, 07:11 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,744 Likes on 18,543 Posts
Old 04-19-2014, 07:12 PM
crimson13
Elite HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Guntoter
Just get this tool and your troubles are over. You still may need to use a screwdriver to get things in alignment, but once you do this tool will allow you to turn the forks and still use the ignition, without the stock **** in place. http://www.marcparnes.com/HarleyIgnitionSwitchTool.htm
+ 1 in this tool works great and hella lot cheaper than HD tool

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup

Old 04-19-2014, 07:12 PM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 14,579 Likes on 4,611 Posts

georges garage sells the tool, if you work on a lot of bikes, its a good thing, if you work on one, just once in a while, make your own

Old 04-19-2014, 07:16 PM
2kids3pets
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

quick search would have saved you $90.00

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...ml#post9075530

Old 04-19-2014, 07:17 PM
Hausguy
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The smashed copper pipe works well, as does the right long screwdriver. Here is a youtube video on how to do it. Cancel your order.

Quick Reply: Are you KIDDING me?