Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another SE comp going, 2014 type.

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 09:10 AM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts
Default Another SE comp going, 2014 type.

Well I'm sad to report that my 2014 style SE comp that I installed late Oct 2013 is already starting to have hard starts and showing signs of wear. This is my second SE comp, last one lasted about a year. Because of my Bandit clutch I run Belray 80w-90 gear saver oil in my primary. I noticed it was starting to turnover a little harder than normal and when I went to change my stock primary chain tensioner to a hayden it was confirmed that there is some wear starting. 7 months and not ever half the miles as the last SE comp that I had.

Also I do have the plastic piece glued onto my primary cover.
I'm not sure if mine is defective seeing that its just wearing in one spot not equally in all three spots in the same area? This was the pre "A" 2014 style, just ordered the newest style from Kutter since its the beginning of the riding season and I have a bunch of trips planned for the summer.

Old 05-13-2014, 09:34 AM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 14,630 Likes on 4,624 Posts

looks like that big motor finds all the weak links, good luck with the new one

Old 05-13-2014, 10:11 AM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Yup it would seem so, just to add to the fire I just noticed that my custom horn cover has one of the brackets broke on the side. Not sure if the extra vibration from the wards fan is the reason but I had to order a new horn cover as well. Good start to the summer riding season!

Old 05-13-2014, 10:23 AM
spider14043
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Hopefully the Hayden tensioner will solve the problem.
My personal opinion is the stock harley primary chain ratcheting tensioner is the primary cause of ALL the problems happening under that cover.
Failure to address that part on the Rushmore bikes is the main reason I passed on a 2014.
Hopefully this will be taken care of on the 2015's. I don't think I can restrain myself much longer.

Old 05-13-2014, 10:30 AM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Originally Posted by spider14043
Hopefully the Hayden tensioner will solve the problem.
My personal opinion is the stock harley primary chain ratcheting tensioner is the primary cause of ALL the problems happening under that cover.
Failure to address that part on the Rushmore bikes is the main reason I passed on a 2014.
Hopefully this will be taken care of on the 2015's. I don't think I can restrain myself much longer.
Time will tell, and I did have to old 2010 non-updated stock ratcheting tensioner that was prone to over tighten. I was up in the air between getting the updated OEM and the hayden and decided on the hayden for whatever reason.

Old 05-13-2014, 10:47 AM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I have had really good luck with the compusaver. I also use a Baker Attitude adjuster. This is one the 120r.

Old 05-13-2014, 11:19 AM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

I just had the new compensator installed (last SE lasted about 10K) and can't see where it is much an improvement? That is some weird wear but that 120 isn't helping things. Wish there was a real upgrade...
I also put a Haydon in about 5k ago but not real happy with it (worked great in all my earlier bikes) and going to a manual one (welded stock). These new primary's suck!! Good luck!

Old 05-13-2014, 03:54 PM
hd_rolling
Supporter

I know the 120R isn't helping but it sure is fun to ride, this is just a heads up for anyone that might have thought the 2014 style was the fix all for comps. Lasted shorter than the older style se comp that was on the same 120r. I hope the wear in that one area isn't a sign of any bearings going or the crank going out? And it doesn't look like the dark horse comp will be ready any time soon!

"To address our Direct Drive Sprocket (compensator replacement). We have done a ton of R&D with a lot of help of a lot of people, including people on this board and we are by no means done!

That being said, we have struggled getting the right combination/recipe for our dampener bushings to withstand the rigors of the late model crankshafts and drivetrains in all the variations of builds on the market today. Early on we struggled with a few manufacturing issues that we resolved on our prototypes and then got right down to testing. Currently we are under a revision that we believe will give us better longevity with our dampeners. We have some very sharp people and engineers helping with the development of those and have all the confidence we will get there!

We will not release this product until we are confident it will be a better alternative long term than what is currently on the market. On this you have our word, I apologize for letting you down here, but we are making progress and will see it through to market if at all possible.

Thank you all for the interest and support of our motor-products. Looking forward to seeing many of you again at Cinci in a couple of weeks!
John - Darkhorse Crankworks"

Old 05-13-2014, 04:36 PM
vickers1
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

I had the Hayden put in by my indy and after 3,000 miles, it was worn half through. What I don't know is if it was just junk or if it wasn't installed properly.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:44 PM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Originally Posted by vickers1
I had the Hayden put in by my indy and after 3,000 miles, it was worn half through. What I don't know is if it was just junk or if it wasn't installed properly.
Was that on your 12? Did they say why they installed it, the 12's have the updated stock tensioner. I only have about 400-500 miles on mine and will check it out when the new 2014 comp comes in.

Quick Reply: Another SE comp going, 2014 type.