2018+ Softail Models Breakout

The Everything 2018+ Heritage Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2018, 08:59 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

Originally Posted by houseboatwayne
Well picked up my new FLHCS last Wednesday morning with the day off and drove around till my arms fell off. Unbelievable handling, comfort, and new feature my old bike didn't have....PASSING! Sunday morning with 600 miles on bike I hear a scraping sound coming from back wheel. Down hill neutral did not change it. Press rear brake did not change it. Did not find anything rubbing. Maybe a warped rotor? It was enough to return bike to dealership Monday morning.

Monday evening dealership called me and said, We checked everything cleaned brakes but there is still a squeal coming from rear wheel. Do you mind if we keep it for another day so the service manager can look at the bike and talk to the factory? SURE

Tueday at end of day. We don't have an answer yet. Service manager has to look at several bikes today.

Wednesday toward end of day me calling. "Need to know what's going on with my new bike?" Well we are still trying to figure out where the squealing noise is coming from. "Two and a half days and you guys can't figure out where the squealing noise is coming from on the back wheel???" Well we think it's something from the belt guard. "A fixed piece of metal and it's squealing?" Let me get the service manager. "Thank you!" Hello? "Hi, can you tell me what's up with my bike?" We think it's something with the belt guard. We are going to loosen the belt, re-torque and align back wheel to see if squeal disappears. We will let you know.

My guess why they are being so cagey with me, they are having to jump through some hoops and check things before the factory will replace the rear axle. Who know's, sigh!

Sucks but I'll keep you guys up with this saga if your interested.
Sorry to hear that but it’s better than the “it’s normal, they all do that” answer some guys get. Hopefully they’ll sort it out and you’ll be rolling soon.

Old 06-14-2018, 04:22 AM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,174 Likes on 6,218 Posts

I have been paying attention to the new bikes since the M8 cane out in 2017. Belt misalignment causing a chirping sound on the rear sprocket, though not prevalent, is a known issue with a simple fix. Touring bikes even experience it. It's not common, but it is not so rare that it is unheard of.

Good news is the fix is quick and easy.

The following users liked this post:
Thingfish (06-14-2018)
Old 06-15-2018, 08:25 AM
almico
Advanced
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I managed to install some 2" risers on my bike. The good news is: both the brake and clutch cables are long enough. I had to slide the brake cable support grommet a bit. Bad news is my heated grips don't seem to be working so I might have pulled something. I'll figure it out. But the main thing is the bars are UP! My arms are now parallel with the pavement. Still getting numbness, but more comfortable.

I also added the solo seat rear rack and did not need the extra hardware kit.

Last edited by almico; 06-15-2018 at 08:57 AM.
Thingfish (06-15-2018)
Old 06-15-2018, 11:38 AM
Proctous
Intermediate
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by almico
I managed to install some 2" risers on my bike. The good news is: both the brake and clutch cables are long enough. I had to slide the brake cable support grommet a bit. Bad news is my heated grips don't seem to be working so I might have pulled something. I'll figure it out. But the main thing is the bars are UP! My arms are now parallel with the pavement. Still getting numbness, but more comfortable.

I also added the solo seat rear rack and did not need the extra hardware kit.

How Loud are those Slip ons compared to stock ones? does the tone sounds much better. Youtube vidoes I heard dont do them justice. I just ordered a pair and should be here next week. just wanted to know how big my smile will be.

Old 06-15-2018, 12:57 PM
almico
Advanced
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Proctous
How Loud are those Slip ons compared to stock ones? does the tone sounds much better. Youtube vidoes I heard dont do them justice. I just ordered a pair and should be here next week. just wanted to know how big my smile will be.
Some say they're too loud, some say not enough. I'm in the middle. I don't hear them when I'm cruising, just a nice low thumping. Kick the throttle and they speak right up. At 6am when I fire it up to go to work they are a bit loud...but I'm getting used to it quickly! I have the 114 stage III kit, so that amped it up a bit.

I love the tone.

Old 06-15-2018, 01:58 PM
gscully
Cruiser
Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

Almico what is that green thing? A helmet lock?

Old 06-16-2018, 04:17 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts

I've just done 2000 miles this week to the NC mountains. The bike behaved perfectly and was a joy in the twisties.

The following 3 users liked this post by uklauren:
A1A (06-16-2018), RENARELLO (04-09-2020), Thingfish (06-16-2018)
Old 06-16-2018, 05:03 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

Originally Posted by uklauren
I've just done 2000 miles this week to the NC mountains. The bike behaved perfectly and was a joy in the twisties.
nice Lauren!

Old 06-16-2018, 06:44 PM
houseboatwayne
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well picked up my new FLHCS last Wednesday morning with the day off and drove around till my arms fell off. Unbelievable handling, comfort, and new feature my old bike didn't have....PASSING! Sunday morning with 600 miles on bike I hear a scraping sound coming from back wheel. Down hill neutral did not change it. Press rear brake did not change it. Did not find anything rubbing. Maybe a warped rotor? It was enough to return bike to dealership Monday morning.

Monday evening dealership called me and said, We checked everything cleaned brakes but there is still a squeal coming from rear wheel. Do you mind if we keep it for another day so the service manager can look at the bike and talk to the factory? SURE

Tueday at end of day. We don't have an answer yet. Service manager has to look at several bikes today.

Wednesday toward end of day me calling. "Need to know what's going on with my new bike?" Well we are still trying to figure out where the squealing noise is coming from. "Two and a half days and you guys can't figure out where the squealing noise is coming from on the back wheel???" Well we think it's something from the belt guard. "A fixed piece of metal and it's squealing?" Let me get the service manager. "Thank you!" Hello? "Hi, can you tell me what's up with my bike?" We think it's something with the belt guard. We are going to loosen the belt, re-torque and align back wheel to see if squeal disappears. We will let you know.

My guess why they are being so cagey with me, they are having to jump through some hoops and check things before the factory will replace the rear axle. Who know's, sigh!

Sucks but I'll keep you guys up with this saga if your interested.
Just an update:
We agreed it's a warped rotor. They plan to replace at the 1000 mile checkup. I also bought the touring pack. The rivets holding the clam shell hinge were put in backwards plus the fake leather was releasing from glue. The backward rivets (I have picture) damaged my full face helmet. HD agreed to replace touring pack and helmet for no charge. They are really trying to make things right which is great because most of their products are solid and I really want to support their products.
Also I have the mustache engine guard. So comfortable when you prop you feet up. I added aftermarket vinyl covers with pockets that fit the mustache engine guard, they are call Desert Dawgs. They are super awesome, easy to install and remove. Waiting on my Rifle.com windshield. Expect in 3 weeks but still amazed by bike and glad HD realizes that I'm a loyal customer that will buy a lot of products if they treat me right.

Old 06-16-2018, 06:52 PM
houseboatwayne
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just an update:
We agreed it's a warped rotor. They plan to replace at the 1000 mile checkup. I also bought the touring pack. The rivets holding the clam shell hinge were put in backwards plus the fake leather was releasing from glue. The backward rivets (I have picture) damaged my full face helmet. HD agreed to replace touring pack and helmet for no charge. They are really trying to make things right which is great because most of their products are solid and I really want to support their products.
Also I have the mustache engine guard. So comfortable when you prop you feet up. I added aftermarket vinyl covers with pockets that fit the mustache engine guard, they are call Desert Dawgs. They are super awesome, easy to install and remove. Waiting on my Rifle.com windshield. Expect in 3 weeks but still amazed by bike and glad HD realizes that I'm a loyal customer that will buy a lot of products if they treat me right.

Tom Thompson (08-22-2018)

Quick Reply: The Everything 2018+ Heritage Thread