2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Primary leaking

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2019, 06:18 AM
Chunker
Road Warrior
Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by AJ88V
The Harbor Freight 3/8" and 1/2" torque wrenches aren't half bad. I connected them to my aviation mechanic's digital block (calibrated per FAA requirements) and those two were remarkably good (when new).

The HF 1/4" is totally useless.

This Tekton 1/4" torque wrench is very good for the money. It's what I use on my carbon street bicycle: https://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-TRQ211...+w%2Caps%2C128
Curious as to how far off the 1/4" wrench was. When I was still on active duty I had access to our aviation maintenance shop and they had a torque wrench calibrator. Don't have that access more. In my opinion for what it's worth, a torque spec based on inch pounds isn't that critical as long as it's INCH not FOOT. Those fasteners don't hold critical items like wheels, engines etc. Some time ago I was reading wrench reviews from a big box store and some guy was slamming the torque wrench because it stripped out the first time he torqued the wheel lug nuts. 1/4" torque wrench. Some people shouldn't be allowed near tools.

Have a good day.

Old 06-15-2019, 07:04 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,478 Likes on 4,603 Posts

Originally Posted by Chunker
The OP issue was the primary leaking and I'd like all these experts to show me a picture of a dipstick on a primary.
You don`t need a dipstick, you just look at the oil level while the derby cover is removed, how difficult is this for you to understand?

Originally Posted by Hulkss
Ideally the primary fluid should meet JASO MA2 specifications for clutch performance. This will give the highest torque holding capacity.
For motor oil used in a clutch JASO MA or MA2 works.

You won`t find a JASO MA or MA2 rating on any gear lube, it is a motor oil spec.

However, some gear lubes can work in a primary, the Harley stuff, Bel Ray, Redline, Spectro all sell them, as well as many other oil companies.

I don`t know why motor oil is linked in this post, the forum software must be doing it....

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 06-15-2019 at 07:19 AM.
The following users liked this post:
PaterAnt (08-24-2020)
Old 06-15-2019, 07:13 AM
CoolBreeze3646
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 19,353 Likes on 6,843 Posts

Leaking from the derby cover or from the drain plug at the bottom under the primary? Not clear where it is leaking from your original posting.

Old 06-15-2019, 07:17 AM
skid_pimp
Road Warrior
Received 416 Likes on 311 Posts

Curious as to how far off the 1/4" wrench was. When I was still on active duty I had access to our aviation maintenance shop and they had a torque wrench calibrator. Don't have that access more. In my opinion for what it's worth, a torque spec based on inch pounds isn't that critical as long as it's INCH not FOOT. Those fasteners don't hold critical items like wheels, engines etc. Some time ago I was reading wrench reviews from a big box store and some guy was slamming the torque wrench because it stripped out the first time he torqued the wheel lug nuts. 1/4" torque wrench. Some people shouldn't be allowed near tools.

Have a good day.
You may have had access to a TQ wrench calibrator in your Aviation shop, but you clearly did not work in the aviation field. I assure you TQ specs matter, even the 3 in/lb ones. Sheer vs tension applications dual sheer and tension applications, types of hardware, construction of hardware, it all makes a difference.

You want a simple example, look at how many master cylinder covers you see that leak. It's cause they are over tightened....

PaterAnt (08-24-2020)
Old 06-16-2019, 06:15 AM
Jeremy Belko
Advanced
Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Surveys are like "I read it on the internet" and just as reliable. Oh wait, this is the internet so it must be true.

The OP issue was the primary leaking and I'd like all these experts to show me a picture of a dipstick on a primary. OP also made reference to adding 85w-140, gear oil to the primary and a bunch of maintenance wizards cautioning about friction miodifiers for gear oil. WRONG lube to the WRONG hole.

I do my own servicing and am consistent with my procedures when I service them. I also have REAL HD service manuals that I use for servicing guidance. I add the prescribed amounts and never had any clutch, or shifting issues. Only been working on my own vehicles for several decades but what he hell do I know?
I was only using the gear oil to top off primary to get home. And only had to add like 4 oz to bring level up to right. Already dropped fluid and replaced with H-D gear oil that says good for trans/primary.
Did fight some seepage from derby cover at first but nothing since then. Hoping that James gaskets or someone makes a gasket for the narrow primary that goes they screw holes so you don’t have to force gasket into this small notch.
I am hearing a little more chain slapping in primary. Anyone know of a way to force tensioner to tighten, without taking off primary case?

Last edited by Jeremy Belko; 06-16-2019 at 06:20 AM. Reason: Adding
Old 06-16-2019, 11:22 AM
Hulkss
HDF Community Team
Received 1,844 Likes on 973 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC

You won`t find a JASO MA or MA2 rating on any gear lube, it is a motor oil spec.
Here is a primary fluid, not motor oil, that carries a JASO rating: https://www.amsoil.com/lit/databulletins/g3302.pdf

Old 06-16-2019, 11:35 AM
Ridetothehill
Road Captain

Received 142 Likes on 99 Posts

Surveys are like "I read it on the internet" and just as reliable. Oh wait, this is the internet so it must be true.

The OP issue was the primary leaking and I'd like all these experts to show me a picture of a dipstick on a primary. OP also made reference to adding 85w-140, gear oil to the primary and a bunch of maintenance wizards cautioning about friction miodifiers for gear oil. WRONG lube to the WRONG hole.

I do my own servicing and am consistent with my procedures when I service them. I also have REAL HD service manuals that I use for servicing guidance. I add the prescribed amounts and never had any clutch, or shifting issues. Only been working on my own vehicles for several decades but what he hell do I know?
Would you like your gold star now, or would you like to wait until after recess?

The following 2 users liked this post by Ridetothehill:
Dan89FLSTC (06-16-2019), PaterAnt (08-24-2020)
Old 06-16-2019, 01:15 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,478 Likes on 4,603 Posts

Originally Posted by Hulkss
Here is a primary fluid, not motor oil, that carries a JASO rating: https://www.amsoil.com/lit/databulletins/g3302.pdf
Of course any Primary oil would be expected to be able to pass the MA friction test, that does not mean the lube carries a JASO MA rating.

That lube has no rating, just claims to have those "Typical Technical Properties, whatever that means is anyone's guess.

As I already said, JASO MA and JASO MA2 are motor oil specifications. Gear lubes have their own set of specifications.

Nowhere does that oil say it meets any JASO or API specifications, it`s Amsoil after all...

I was talking about gear lube. Gear Lube. To caution the OP about using an 85 w-140 grade gear lube in the primary, because a lot of companies put friction modifiers in their 75-85w140 grade gear lubes.

https://www.oilspecifications.org/ar...MA_JASO_MB.php

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 06-16-2019 at 01:21 PM.
Old 06-16-2019, 08:23 PM
Hulkss
HDF Community Team
Received 1,844 Likes on 973 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
Nowhere does that oil say it meets any JASO or API specifications, it`s Amsoil after all...
Says so right here on the second page:

PaterAnt (08-24-2020)