Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audio upgrade install help and recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 11:28 PM
Hammertime1978
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Audio upgrade install help and recommendations

Finally got my first bagger. 2014 StreetGlide Special. Been running smaller bikes i.e. Dyna's and Softail's in the past. I've been doing my own wrenching since my dad was a mechanic so I've go the mechanical aspect down alright. New to audio on bikes though. Picked up (4) Polk Audio 6.5" DB652 to upgrade the crappy speakers in the Glide. I've also mounted a full size tour-pak with speaker pods. Looking at the Soundstream PN4.1000D amplifier. From what i'm seeing, this amp will fit in the fairing. To all you Harley audio knowhow guys, does this seem like a good matchup? Also, any suggestions on how to mount and wire the amp? Any help would be appreciated.

Old 03-09-2018, 12:09 AM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member
Received 647 Likes on 546 Posts

First congrats on the sled! Does that bike have lowers or are the 4 speakers going in the fairing (2) and tour pack(2)? I have not run those speakers but on paper they look decent with sensitivity at 92 and a full range. You will need 1 or 2 biketronics bt355 line levelers for the install to flatten out the voltage curve that the boom box puts out. only 1 LL if not having fade control on the bike and 2 if fade is in the works. The SS pn4.1000 is a solid amp and will give most 6.5 speakers enough power. As far as wiring the amp, its simple also. 8 ga power/ground wire from the battery to the amp. An inline fuse recommended by the amp manufacturer The LL will plug direct into the speaker outs on the radio. Front and rear if flashed for the fade control. If not you will still have 4 speaker out with 2 channel in. Just follow in instructions from the amp to wire the outs to the speakers. Hope this helps.

Old 03-09-2018, 06:11 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 410 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by Hammertime1978
Finally got my first bagger. 2014 StreetGlide Special. Been running smaller bikes i.e. Dyna's and Softail's in the past. I've been doing my own wrenching since my dad was a mechanic so I've go the mechanical aspect down alright. New to audio on bikes though. Picked up (4) Polk Audio 6.5" DB652 to upgrade the crappy speakers in the Glide. I've also mounted a full size tour-pak with speaker pods. Looking at the Soundstream PN4.1000D amplifier. From what i'm seeing, this amp will fit in the fairing. To all you Harley audio knowhow guys, does this seem like a good matchup? Also, any suggestions on how to mount and wire the amp? Any help would be appreciated.
Were these speakers a suggestion from the audio forum or random speakers someone outside the forum suggested? I'm always curious when a new OP comes on the forum with speakers and or amps already in hand. Reason being: Good intel on the amp. Speakers not no much. So to answer your question on the matchup. Honestly the answer is no. You can do much better on the speakers. They will sound "okay" in the garage but once you get out on the open road you will be severely disappointed. Welcome to to forum!

Old 03-09-2018, 09:41 AM
Hammertime1978
Cruiser

Originally Posted by travelingypsye
First congrats on the sled! Does that bike have lowers or are the 4 speakers going in the fairing (2) and tour pack(2)? I have not run those speakers but on paper they look decent with sensitivity at 92 and a full range. You will need 1 or 2 biketronics bt355 line levelers for the install to flatten out the voltage curve that the boom box puts out. only 1 LL if not having fade control on the bike and 2 if fade is in the works. The SS pn4.1000 is a solid amp and will give most 6.5 speakers enough power. As far as wiring the amp, its simple also. 8 ga power/ground wire from the battery to the amp. An inline fuse recommended by the amp manufacturer The LL will plug direct into the speaker outs on the radio. Front and rear if flashed for the fade control. If not you will still have 4 speaker out with 2 channel in. Just follow in instructions from the amp to wire the outs to the speakers. Hope this helps.
Thanks man. Yeah I'm pretty stoked. Got the bike for a steal. The 4 speakers are going to be (2) in the fairing and (2) in the tour pak. I'm also considering installing speakers in the lowers also. Would another set of 6.5" speakers be good? Also, do you think this amp would be able to power all 3 sets of speakers adequately? Thanks for the info about the line leverlers. I never would have known about them if I didn't come on here. I was wondering how to connect the from the to the amp using RCA connections with the stock head not having RCA outputs. That answers that question. Right now the radio has the stock flash on it so it only have 2 outs or the fader control is not unlocked. Do you think I should have it flashed? Harley said that if I was going to add more speakers and an amp that I should have the stock head flashed. Is that correct? As far as physically mounting the amp, I've seen 2 ways its done. some people buy a mouting plate, but others just use the existing plate that is already inside the fairing. Which do you think is the best route? Thanks.

Last edited by Hammertime1978; 03-09-2018 at 10:02 AM.
Old 03-09-2018, 09:45 AM
Hammertime1978
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Gannicus
Were these speakers a suggestion from the audio forum or random speakers someone outside the forum suggested? I'm always curious when a new OP comes on the forum with speakers and or amps already in hand. Reason being: Good intel on the amp. Speakers not no much. So to answer your question on the matchup. Honestly the answer is no. You can do much better on the speakers. They will sound "okay" in the garage but once you get out on the open road you will be severely disappointed. Welcome to to forum!
The speakers were a recommendation from a friend of mine that has them in his bike paired with the Soundstream ST 4.1000DB amp. That amp seemed a little under powered so I decided on the PN4.1000D. The DB652's are still brand new in the box. If they really aren't going to be good speakers I guess I could try and see if I can return them. What speakers would you recommend if not these? The kind of music that I listen to is mainly hard rock. AC/DC, Metallica, Five Finger Death Punch, Disturbed. Thanks.

Last edited by Hammertime1978; 03-09-2018 at 10:09 AM.
Old 03-09-2018, 11:06 AM
Moto Mike
Road Warrior
Received 122 Likes on 116 Posts

Hammer, asking what kind of speakers should I get is like asking what kind of car should I buy...depends on budget and a multitude of other considerations. If you want to keep the Polk brand, the best option seems to be their new MM 652's. Depends on your budget, and end goal is! I used Polk DB's component speakers, for a while but that was about 5 setups back! They were OK but as Gan said there are a lot better options out there! Might find some good deals on the Audio for sale section as guy's upgrade!

Old 03-09-2018, 11:36 AM
Hammertime1978
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Moto Mike
Hammer, asking what kind of speakers should I get is like asking what kind of car should I buy...depends on budget and a multitude of other considerations. If you want to keep the Polk brand, the best option seems to be their new MM 652's. Depends on your budget, and end goal is! I used Polk DB's component speakers, for a while but that was about 5 setups back! They were OK but as Gan said there are a lot better options out there! Might find some good deals on the Audio for sale section as guy's upgrade!
I get that Mike. Just trying to find out what works well. I'm not adverse to spending some money, but I'm not able to spend ALOT either. I'm looking for DECENT sound at highway speeds. Not looking to have the best system out there. I went with the DB652's from what a friend told me. If I'm not going to be happy with them, just trying to find out from others' experience what might work better. Are the Kappa 6211i's that much better? They aren't that much more expensive than the polk DB652's. I'm pretty set on the amp since its decent power for the price. Since I don't listen to hardly any music with base, I was thinking these speakers were ok. I'm new to bike audio so i'm trying to get suggestions and then do some research based upon those recommendations. Ideally, I'd prefer to spend $100-150 per set of speakers, but that isn't in stone but just a starting point.

Last edited by Hammertime1978; 03-09-2018 at 11:48 AM.
Old 03-09-2018, 12:10 PM
Moto Mike
Road Warrior
Received 122 Likes on 116 Posts

I have not heard the MM652's. Tesenvo has tried them and he is a reliable source..he liked them! I have heard the Kappa's they have been a budget friendly option on here for years. Search at top of forum...Search this forum... pop in Polk MM652 and threads will pop up with info! I am going to list 4 Titan II's 6.5's on Audio for sale..that I just took out...look on Biketronics website for info on them..carry a lifetime warranty mabe by Hybrid Ausio Technology's (HAT's). you can PM people after 5 days and 5 posts. Good luck Hammertime..use to do a bad impression of Hamertime and crack up the kids...lol!

Old 03-09-2018, 12:53 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

If ur in the 150 per set for speakers I would get rid of the Polks u have and get one set of Polk MM652 for the TP Pods.

In the fairing I would peel off another $30 or do and get the DB Drive WDX6Motos. They really are a damn good bank for the buck fairing Speaker.

T.

Old 03-09-2018, 04:13 PM
Hammertime1978
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Tailwind
If ur in the 150 per set for speakers I would get rid of the Polks u have and get one set of Polk MM652 for the TP Pods.

In the fairing I would peel off another $30 or do and get the DB Drive WDX6Motos. They really are a damn good bank for the buck fairing Speaker.

T.
Thanks Tailwind. Thanks for the recommendation on those speakers. Does anyone know how to deal with the StreetGlide not coming with the stock head not having any rear speaker outputs? Would I have to get it flashed? Also, how do I wire the rear speaker pod volume switch?

Quick Reply: Audio upgrade install help and recommendations