Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1998 FXDWG Speedometer problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 09:21 AM
Geezer Glide Bob
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Default 1998 FXDWG Speedometer problems

I have a question for anyone who has changed their speedometer. I have a 1998 Dyna Wide Glide that the "crystal has turned all black" and the "speedometer" only functions for a few minutes then stops working.

I have a "new kit from Harley 67178-96B" yes, I already know that that was obsoleted to 67178-69C and is also obsolete. I was lucky enough to find a dealer with the B kit.

The instructions sent with the new speedometer are typical Harley terrible for understanding.

Does anyone have any experience on the converting the old wiring plugs to the new wiring plugs? Does anyone have a better pin out than the instructions that the kit comes with (Instructions J01208 REV 8-5-98)

Any help or if anyone has pictures of their conversion would also be helpful.

Thanks for your time and reading this post.

Geezer Glide Bob

Old 09-15-2015, 08:06 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 792 Likes on 603 Posts

There are a few forum members that have conducted this exchange.
1998 tank mounted speedometers sometimes had the black ink looking leak in the odometer window. Basically an LCD leak.
Some forum members were able to open the unit carefully and just change the LCD screen from a donor unit thus retaining the mileage memory.
A few other posts i have read also discussed the change-out.
There are about 12 wires on the back of the unit.
Have you tried looking at the harley instructions for 74468-03.
Just google harley 74468-03
or google 67017-94c
This is a cut and paste from someone who changed just the odometer screen.

You can change out the LCD if you have a donor from the same manufacturer. The mileage will be correct, mileage comes from the speedos "computer", not the lcd or trans pickup. Harley used two speedo manufacturers for the evos. When the first, Faria USA, ran into problems with the LCDs turning black etc. harley changed to a second manufacturer. I don't know if the first and second manufacturer's lcd's interchange. You'll need to replace the bad with a good one from the same mfgr. For the early speedos just look for a donor with the same bunch of wires coming out the back. If you find out the two different manufacturer's LCDs interchange let us know.

Take the speedo out of the bike, don't cut any wires, not necessary, disconnect the wires as needed. Take the speedo to your bench and carefully pry up the bezel with small screwdrivers and pliers, protect it from scratching. Remove the bezel, rubber gasket and glass face being very careful not to touch the inside of the glass or get dirt on it, it's got some anti-fogging/anti-water coating and cleaning will ruin the coating. Hold the speedo flat and mark on the speedo housing with a black felt tip pen where the needle is pointing (more on the needle later). Pull the needle straight up and off. Carefully pry off the face, it's held with some sticky stuff similar to double face tape. The lcd is held in place by a plastic frame screwed to the speedo body. By now you should be able to see the name of the speedo mfgr someplace, probably Faria USA. After replacing the LCD put the face back on with the needle pointing to your black mark. Here's the tricky part, when I put my needle back the speedo mph was off about 15 mph, like I got the needle misaligned. I ended up buying a dakota digital speed adjusting device ($100) to recalibrate the needle. I think I could have put the speedo back on the bike without the glass and maybe with a stop watch and mile markers on the interstate or where ever, fiddled with the needle, gotten the needle adjusted and saved the $100. Once the needle is where it needs to be, put a small amount of sealer on the speedo body lip, put the glass and gasket in place, put a small amount of sealer in the bezel, lay the speedo face down on a towel to protect it and work the bezel down with a plastic hammer, flat head punch about 3/8" or so, and to get a tight seal, take a clamp and gently clamp everything to the bench. You want a bezel seal like before. Use a minimum of sealer, you don't want it squishing out to where it shows. You can polish bezel before putting it back, it's stainless steel.

Last edited by im; 09-15-2015 at 08:21 PM.
Old 09-15-2015, 08:10 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 792 Likes on 603 Posts

The speedometer only "functions" for a few minutes...does this mean that it does not read MPH???
If that is the case then you might have a second problem..the speed sensor on transmission might have metal files (metal grit) on it.
The new speedometer will not read speed if the sensor is dirty or bad.

Old 09-16-2015, 08:24 AM
Geezer Glide Bob
Tourer

Thank you for both replies.

When you first start up the bike, both the speedometer and the mileage (if you can see it due to the crystal being so black) will work for about 5-10 minutes. After that they are dead. Still lights up, but no speedometer or odometer.

My speedometer I believe is the first generation Faria USA. The next generation speedometer that I am installing doesn't have the openings that the original has.

I have taken the speed sensor out and cleaned all the metal shavings off of it. I thought that was the problem to start with, but it's still the same, which led me to believe that I had an issues with the speedometer.

I have done some checking and Drag Specialties makes a wiring harness for the REV B speedometer that I am going to try this weekend. It was only $61 shipped to my house.

Thanks for all of the input and suggestions.

Old 09-18-2015, 10:01 AM
Geezer Glide Bob
Tourer

Well, last night I took my 1998 FXDWG OEM revision A dash off the bike and upgraded to a OEM Harley Rev B dash that a dealer still had on inventory. Trying to figure out the wiring was not much fun.

For those of you who have the first revision dash with the replaceable bulbs and wires that are attached with nuts, do yourself a favor and when you do upgrade make sure that you are familiar with being able to sodder wires.

I took a picture of the competed wiring. If I can figure out how to post it I will.

Attached Thumbnails 1998 FXDWG Speedometer problems-img_20150917_184716_204.jpg