Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

13 Street Bob

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 01:03 AM
Fatsacz
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 13 Street Bob

My son just got a 13 SB, has 925 miles on it. I rode it and I noticed it pops a lot more than I thought It should during shifts

It came with the header pipes wrapped in that heat cloth, I don't know if they are stock or after market. It also has Cobra mufflers on.

Dealer didn't know much about what the previous owner did to the bike

Any thoughts on the popping and how to eliminate the excessive heat coming off the header?

Thanks

Old 07-28-2016, 07:46 AM
MFC
Cruiser
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

The popping is gonna happen if there is no map for fuel air ratio on the bikes computer. the pipes look stock to me (except for the mufflers). I have my aftermarket V&H pipes wrapped and i dont think its to hot... but if you do... get some heat shields for it. Also dosent look like a lot of stuff (aftermarket work) was done to the bike. no A/C, just pipes, new spark plug wires, fwd controls... seat and grips.. thats all I can see. Sharp Bike!!!!! looks great!

Last edited by MFC; 07-28-2016 at 07:49 AM.
Old 07-28-2016, 07:52 AM
wilddave
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I think a tuner or tune would really help it.

Old 07-28-2016, 08:48 AM
TomRoozendaal
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes the popping is because the mapping is of. No mapping can also result in running hot.

Old 07-28-2016, 08:49 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,750 Likes on 3,962 Posts

Decel popping and burbling is a very common issue; the stock mufflers/slip-on's were doing it as well but as they're so restrictive you really can't hear it. Decel popping isn't caused by being 'lean' as far as your tune, it's caused by fresh air entering the exhaust mixing with unburnt fuel coming out of the engine under off-throttle situations; when the air/fuel ratio is right the fuel burns off in the hot pipe.

The typical fix is to alter the AFR in the pipe by adding additional fuel when off-throttle; alter the AFR and then it can't burn. Another fix is to add DK Custom thunder torque inserts to the exhaust. The TTI's help prevent the reversion of fresh air in to the exhaust. I use a combination of both of these and have zero decel popping and burbling.

That's not to say your bike wouldn't benefit from a good tune; a good tune is the best thing you can possibly do for your bike. Stock, they're extremely lean to meet EPA requirements and they run very hot; I think you've noticed how hot Stay away from the HD dealer download; it's useless and still EPA compliant. Put that money toward a proper tuner! Properly tuned, you'll notice a nice reduction in heat.

There are many different options when it comes to tuners. This thread HERE will give you a great overview of your options and the pros and cons of each. Review that thread before you start throwing money at the tuning problem I personally went with a Power Vision and can't possibly speak highly enough for its tuning effectiveness

Last edited by TinCupChalice; 07-28-2016 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Typo... doh!
Old 07-29-2016, 07:29 PM
Fatsacz
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great Information

Very good information, explained very well.

I have a 12SG with V&H Dresser Duals / Blackout Rounds..... Fed from AN Big Sucker..... Went with the PCV.... Really not happy with it overall.... Still have some popping and smell unburnt fuel.... Tried different MAPS.... Nothing really is perfect, my mileage suffered a bit, and I'm having a little trouble with restarting it once it's been run. I'm also not sure how the bike is reacting without the O2 sensors not being hooked up
Any thoughts?

Old 07-30-2016, 05:41 AM
Antonio Balls
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,651 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by Fatsacz
Very good information, explained very well.

I have a 12SG with V&H Dresser Duals / Blackout Rounds..... Fed from AN Big Sucker..... Went with the PCV.... Really not happy with it overall.... Still have some popping and smell unburnt fuel.... Tried different MAPS.... Nothing really is perfect, my mileage suffered a bit, and I'm having a little trouble with restarting it once it's been run. I'm also not sure how the bike is reacting without the O2 sensors not being hooked up
Any thoughts?
You've invested a lot of money on your bike. If it were mine I would search out an experienced tuning shop and have a proper Dyno tune done. The operative word here is experienced. There is no substitute for a professional Dyno tune.
My $.02.

Old 07-30-2016, 08:43 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,750 Likes on 3,962 Posts

In agreement with Antonio on this; are you running one of the canned PCV maps from DynoJet? Those are near always pig rich; it's not about throwing fuel at the bike, it's about putting the right amount of fuel in the correct places; sometimes you'll add, sometimes you'll subtract.

When you view your current map on your PC in the 0% throttle column is it all zero's through the RPM range? Normally in the 1250 - 2250 RPM range fuel will need to either be added or subtracted to remove the decel popping and burbling.

The more I've learned about FI the more I love my carbed bikes. This '13 is the one and only fuel injected HD I'll ever own