Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

front end shake

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 02:16 PM
dpoll995
Cruiser
Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts
Default front end shake

i had a pretty bad front end shake the other day and i cant figure out what caused it. was riding down a freeway and the front end started shaking pretty bad, it felt like i had a flat on the front so i slowly pulled over and everything was fine. the conditions were good and a little windy, smooth fresh asphalt, going some about 80ish mph. then yesterday was on another freeway and started to pass a big truck and it started to shake slightly. i let off the gas and it stopped. any ideas what could have caused this? bike is a 2015 with about 2k miles on it.

Old 02-16-2017, 03:05 PM
Smogbob
Road Captain
Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

Could be many things, but first thing I would check is tyre pressure, and also see if the spokes on the wheels are not loose, after that check steering head bearing is adjusted ok, if they are ok, check the Motor mounts good and are not broken or loose, front and rear, and if all this looks OK, you will probbably end up putting on a True Track or a Sputhe stabilising system, otherwise it will drive you mad.

Old 02-16-2017, 03:49 PM
81rat
Road Warrior
Received 438 Likes on 270 Posts

Do you use weights to balance you tires and was both speeds the same ???
I would try Ride-On tire balancer without weights
and also like Smogbob

Old 02-16-2017, 06:13 PM
rjo3491
Road Master
Received 150 Likes on 103 Posts

In the Honda VTX (I had one) this was a common problem. The steering head bearings were not beefy enough for the front end and would wear out prematurely. Folks were replacing them with the All ***** product. Smogbob is right though, check the easy stuff first.

Old 02-16-2017, 07:55 PM
jmeiers
Road Warrior
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

I have always had a vibration on mine that starts after 90 mph but goes away above 100 mph. I just cruise at 85 mph or less and it's smooth. Since it happens so high up, I just never chased down what causes it on mine. If it started earlier, like yours, I would probably look into it. I agree go with easy stuff. Air pressures, fall away check, wheel balance, etc.

Old 02-16-2017, 09:59 PM
dpoll995
Cruiser

Tire pressure was fine, that was the first thing I checked. Spokes feel tight. There is not any weights on my front wheel but it doesn't do it every time so I'm thinking tire balancing is not the issue. I'll probably get some ride-on just to eliminate the possibility. I don't know how to do the fall away, I'll check out the service manual. One thing I didn't notice is my motor mount was covered in oil after the dealer changed the oil last year. I cleaned it up as much as I could. Hopefully that didn't ruin the mount and cause this shaking.

Old 02-17-2017, 01:47 AM
Smogbob
Road Captain

Hi Buddy you have nailed the problem on the head, if that motor mount got oil on it, it has gone soft and soggy, oil on a motor mount kills it slowly but surely, that is 99.9% where the problem is coming from, and the front mount is the most important, you need to change that mount, and its just a suggestion I have nothing to do with this company, because I already have true track on my fatbob, I would put this mount and stabiliser on, it will be a massive bonus to your ride, basically gives it the FXR of the old days feeling, because you will have 2 stabilisers instead of one, and a new stronger motor mount.

http://www.predatorvcs.com/

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...or-mounts.html

Originally Posted by dpoll995
Tire pressure was fine, that was the first thing I checked. Spokes feel tight. There is not any weights on my front wheel but it doesn't do it every time so I'm thinking tire balancing is not the issue. I'll probably get some ride-on just to eliminate the possibility. I don't know how to do the fall away, I'll check out the service manual. One thing I didn't notice is my motor mount was covered in oil after the dealer changed the oil last year. I cleaned it up as much as I could. Hopefully that didn't ruin the mount and cause this shaking.

Old 02-17-2017, 08:15 AM
dpoll995
Cruiser

where can i buy one of those mounts? the site doesnt let me add anything to the cart.

Old 02-17-2017, 09:05 AM
Smogbob
Road Captain

Try this link below, should work from this, I admit bit weird website but I finally found how to do it, it will say 25 pounds shipping to USA, and you can pay by paypal.

http://www.predatorvcs.com/harley_da...t_engine_mount

Originally Posted by dpoll995
where can i buy one of those mounts? the site doesnt let me add anything to the cart.

Old 02-17-2017, 09:11 AM
dpoll995
Cruiser

man that sucks that oil gets on this thing just 1 times it can crap out. i would think they would have moved the oil filter some where else. oh well, im going to order it now. hopefully this will resolve my issue. thanks for the help

The following users liked this post:
Smogbob (02-17-2017)

Quick Reply: front end shake