Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Temperature after Cam Change

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2018, 12:07 PM
Harleywashboy
Cruiser
Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

If you're running too lean, you'll see heat increases. In extreme lean conditions it can start to melt the top of the piston.

If you're running slightly rich, you don't burn all of your fuel in the combustion chamber (not enough O2 to combust the fuel). This tends to have a nominal cooling effect.

Old 08-22-2018, 03:27 PM
UrbanRunner
Road Master

Received 367 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Kraken
You might email them to look at it...
Done.

Old 09-18-2018, 11:40 PM
UrbanRunner
Road Master

Well, the problem has never been resolved. Been throwing parts at the bike with no change in the heat problem. So far have switched out the lifters (now S&S Premium High-Performance Lifters), S&S Cycle Quickee Pushrods, and S&S TC3 Oil Pump and Cam Plate.
Dynojet tech I e-mailed said he didn't see any problems with the tune. Dyno tune technician that I took the bike to said the existing tune didn't look too far off didn't believe that this was the cause of my heat problem.
The original tech who did the cam swap has suggested going back to stock cams and tune that was in the bike at that time.

The problem remains. The bike will slowly increase past normal operating temperature. From the dealership to the house, about 12 miles, I had already hit 315 degrees head temperature.

Last edited by UrbanRunner; 09-19-2018 at 01:45 AM.
Old 09-20-2018, 04:15 PM
UrbanRunner
Road Master

Still working on figuring this out. I did find this thread which leads me back to the tune and to believe that it may be a timing issue:
Engine Running Hot

Old 09-21-2018, 01:40 PM
UrbanRunner
Road Master

Hmmm, wonder if I have a problem or not. Maybe I just need to turn off the Engine Temp on my gages??

Here's a response I just got from DynoJet:

"The Engine Temps you are seeing are still well within the safe and normal range for the modifications you have done to your bike."

Old 09-21-2018, 01:59 PM
gdishman
Tourer
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

What I see in your post you are looking at head temps. Head temps are always higher. Watch your oil temps. My oil temp after cam swap was 300 degrees. Sent Fuel Moto a Event log after doing this twice and updating the tunes. Now the oil temp dropped to 250 degrees and after installing an oil cooler it is running around 220 degrees.

Old 09-21-2018, 02:35 PM
Harleywashboy
Cruiser
Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

How extensive was the motor work done during the cam change. Is there a possibility of a partially blocked oil passage, or even low oil level? I'm not trying to insult your intelligence; just going for the low-hanging fruit.

I personally think you should see better temperatures from a good tune.

Old 09-21-2018, 05:06 PM
UrbanRunner
Road Master

Originally Posted by Harleywashboy
How extensive was the motor work done during the cam change. Is there a possibility of a partially blocked oil passage, or even low oil level? I'm not trying to insult your intelligence; just going for the low-hanging fruit.

I personally think you should see better temperatures from a good tune.
No insult is taken. I'm also a big believer in Murphy's Law.
Oil level good. Entire cam install was pulled out and checked, including replacing the oil pump to be sure that wasn't an issue. Nothing has changed the steady rise in head temps.

Originally Posted by gdishman
What I see in your post you are looking at head temps. Head temps are always higher. Watch your oil temps. My oil temp after cam swap was 300 degrees. Sent Fuel Moto a Event log after doing this twice and updating the tunes. Now the oil temp dropped to 250 degrees and after installing an oil cooler it is running around 220 degrees.
I'm going to try adjusting the spark advance tables. Also, will collect some logs to send to FuelMoto. The previous thread I found discusses the oil temp versus head temp issue.

Old 09-23-2018, 02:06 PM
UrbanRunner
Road Master

Ok, for anyone still following, the solution may be the tune and specifically the timing. Today I tried using my existing tune with the spark tables from a new tune from DynoJet - no good, same heat issue. Then I tried retarding the spark by 2° with Quick Tune - no good, same heat issue. So then I tried a Hail Mary and globally advanced the spark by 1° with Quick Tune. It seems to work, heat is back more under control!

Last edited by UrbanRunner; 09-23-2018 at 05:16 PM.