Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's best floor jack for Dynas?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 02:31 PM
aclundwall
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DonN
The J&S looks pretty compact. For those of us who dont have a garage to keep stuff in, how easy is it to either leave in my SUV or carry it up to my condo unit (at least I have an elevator).

Or is there any other compact jack that is reasonably stable?

Thanks,
Don
I'm all for saving money... but (and this is just me) a lift for my brand new $15K Harley isn't where I wanted to scrimp. I've bought lots of harbor freight stuff, and I'm sure that their lift is adequate. To me, the peace of mind was worth $200. I also looked at the Pitbull. It lifts higher than the J&S, and has sleeved joints and grease fittings. But it's lowest height is (reportedly) 1/2 inch taller than the J&S. I felt that extra half inch clearance may be important someday if I lower my bike.

My J&S jack was delivered this morning. The box weighed 93 lbs and I carried it from the front porch to the garage. It wasn't that big a deal to carry it in the shipping box, but I'd not want to have to carry it to and from the work area all the time. Yes, you can carry it in your SUV, I think even the smallest ones would have more than enough room in the back.

The attached pic is why I went for this type of jack as opposed to a lift like the $169 HF shown above... A good portion of it slides under a workbench when it's not in use. There is almost exactly 15" left sticking out from under my bench in the picture, but there is a folding sawhorse stored behind the bench that's preventing it from going in another inch or so. I have a lot of tools and machines in my garage, and storage space for any more equipment is unavailable. If I were really in a bind, I could take the bottle jack off (two bolts) and the whole thing would slide under the workbench.

Good luck with whatever option you choose.

Attached Thumbnails What's best floor jack for Dynas?-jslift2.jpg  
Old 02-17-2011, 02:46 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,434 Likes on 874 Posts

Originally Posted by aclundwall
I'm all for saving money... but (and this is just me) a lift for my brand new $15K Harley isn't where I wanted to scrimp. I've bought lots of harbor freight stuff, and I'm sure that their lift is adequate. To me, the peace of mind was worth $200. I also looked at the Pitbull. It lifts higher than the J&S, and has sleeved joints and grease fittings. But it's lowest height is (reportedly) 1/2 inch taller than the J&S. I felt that extra half inch clearance may be important someday if I lower my bike.

My J&S jack was delivered this morning. The box weighed 93 lbs and I carried it from the front porch to the garage. It wasn't that big a deal to carry it in the shipping box, but I'd not want to have to carry it to and from the work area all the time. Yes, you can carry it in your SUV, I think even the smallest ones would have more than enough room in the back.

The attached pic is why I went for this type of jack as opposed to a lift like the $169 HF shown above... A good portion of it slides under a workbench when it's not in use. There is almost exactly 15" left sticking out from under my bench in the picture, but there is a folding sawhorse stored behind the bench that's preventing it from going in another inch or so. I have a lot of tools and machines in my garage, and storage space for any more equipment is unavailable. If I were really in a bind, I could take the bottle jack off (two bolts) and the whole thing would slide under the workbench.

Good luck with whatever option you choose.

The Pit Bull slides under my Softails with ease & the 06 is lowered front & rear about 1.25" but it has a bigger foot print then the J&S, is about 25 pounds heavier & is NOT portable. But the extra 8" of lift is worth the extra weight & size. Only complaint is the first safety stop is too low. And I bought the Dyna version which fits all Harleys & the wider platforms make oil changes & working on the shock area on softails simple. They are both great jacks!

Old 02-18-2011, 02:51 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

With the HF High Lift Jack, it will lift from either side. No reason to try and work on the side that it set on. It's called "Plan Ahead".

Old 02-18-2011, 03:55 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by lh4x4
With the HF High Lift Jack, it will lift from either side. No reason to try and work on the side that it set on. It's called "Plan Ahead".
And make sure you don't need to move it or turn it around with the bike on it. You can roll the J&S or Pitbull loaded up to McDonalds if you want.

Old 02-18-2011, 06:20 PM
ghostrider69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by golfblues
And make sure you don't need to move it or turn it around with the bike on it. You can roll the J&S or Pitbull loaded up to McDonalds if you want.
That's why you lots of horror stories about how someone's bike fell off of the lift.

Old 02-18-2011, 07:00 PM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ghostrider69
That's why you lots of horror stories about how someone's bike fell off of the lift.

This is true, but I have yet to hear of one falling off a J&S or Pitbull, but tons on the HF (not the high lift......yet!!!), and the sears jacks.

Old 02-18-2011, 07:34 PM
gd55
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I picked up a Sears jack a while back and will try this mod
I just found.Still wish I had held out for the J&S

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...cation-18.html

Old 02-18-2011, 11:15 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by ghostrider69
Obviously you haven't moved a bike on a PB or a J&S or even touched one. I'm sure a few fall off the others. On my PB the arms are so much wider & deeper & the same for the base making it very stabil. You would have to be a total *** to drop a bike off it. I had a few close calls on the less expensive jacks. Not trashing just telling from the experience of owning both.

Last edited by golfblues; 03-07-2011 at 09:37 PM.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:05 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by JaronB
This is true, but I have yet to hear of one falling off a J&S or Pitbull, but tons on the HF (not the high lift......yet!!!), and the sears jacks.
I'll agree on the sears jack but it's not due to the jack. It's those damn lift adapters that may separate while on the jack. If you don't set them perfectly square/perpendicular when you lift the bike then you run the risk of the the pads separating and the bike falls. I had one adapter come half-way apart while the bike was on the jack.

Since modifying my sears red jack I have never felt uneasy about it.

Nothing wrong with someone buying what they can afford but I can't afford a $350+ jack so I made a $10 mod to my jack and all is well.

I mean if the adapters were so important, why did they make them in two pieces?? Why not make it a single block to minimize the risk of separation.

Remember, a jack is only as good as it's handler much like the bikes we're lifting.

The only plus the more expensive jacks have over the sears or HF is that they are mfg'd wider for a more stable stance. You can make your sears jack as stable.

I have moved my bike while it's been on my modded red jack. I took my time. Lowered the lift till the bike was within an inch of the floor and made my adjustments. An idiot would move his bike fully lifted, but I have also done that too. lol

Also, when its lifted I do use the screw-downs on the jack to keep the lift stable in one position.

if I had an extra $350+ I don't think I'd spend it on a jack. I'd probably just buy a full lift table which is around the same cost.

And what makes it 3x the cost of a modded sears jack? Is there really THAT much more metal involved to warrant 3x the price? Ok, it's american made. It's still just a frame with a small hydraulic pump. Nothing more. nothing less.

Last edited by SC-Longhair; 02-19-2011 at 07:24 AM.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:11 AM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 128 Likes on 106 Posts

i like the looks of that hf high lift. If i had a bigger garage i would like to have it.

I hate my lift. It is small noname lift that i have to use blocks positioned just right and it is a pain to do by myself. Also the bike is not level and definatley not secure.

but the price is right. My friend gave it to me for free. As he gave it to me he said "take this piece of crap I am getting a real lift"

that was about ten years ago and i am still using it

Quick Reply: What's best floor jack for Dynas?