Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Faulty Speedo causing issues?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 08:28 PM
2015FLTRXS
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Faulty Speedo causing issues?

Just had my gauges customized by a well known company. Got the gauges back on the bike and the third ride with them i noticed the speedo was malfunctioning under very hard acceleration. The needle would stick at a random spot, then act like that spot was the 0 mph mark. Lets say i ripped the bike up to 70 mph, the needle would bog around 30 mph area then when I come to a complete stop the speedo still reads 31 mph. From there the needle still works but thinks the 31 mph mark is 0, so if I travel 50 mph the speedo reads 81 mph. This problem happened intermittently and would correct itself by turning the bike on and off a couple times.

So I was thinking Ok the speedo/tach gauges definitely need to be sent back to be fixed, hooray!! Then the next day under hard acceleration my bike threw a check engine light and the codes are:

P1510 EFI Limited Performance Mode
P2127 TGS2 Low/Open
P2138 TGS Correlation Error (Twist grip sensor)

So even when the speedo functions correctly the codes cannot be cleared.

My question is can an issue with the speedo throw these codes? Or is there no chance it is related. Just trying to see if one issue would fix the other, vice versa. Any help is appreciated.

EDIT: The more and more i research the diagnostic codes I think the speedo malfunctions and throttle codes are unrelated. Did bars on the bike twice, last time was 4 thousand ish miles ago last year. Also blacked out all the chrome just this month, so the the plugs for the TB have been unplugged a couple of times, tank has been on and off the bike (possibly pinching a wire on reinstall)? Where to start, my god...

Last edited by 2015FLTRXS; 05-20-2017 at 09:17 PM.
Old 05-20-2017, 10:02 PM
1Fordman
Tourer
Received 97 Likes on 59 Posts

I had the same speedo problem on my Night Train when i replaced the original speedo with an HD speedo/tach. Turned out it was heat related, either heat soak from the engine or the sun beating down on it. This caused the gauge face to warp and the speedo needle would drag on it. Once cooled down the speedo would sweep on turn on and function normally.

It was funny to pull up to a stop and have the speedo needle stuck on 120! The odometer and trip meter functions were normal even when the speedo was wacko.

Never got any codes to set when it acted up.

Old 05-20-2017, 10:10 PM
2015FLTRXS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 1Fordman
I had the same speedo problem on my Night Train when i replaced the original speedo with an HD speedo/tach. Turned out it was heat related, either heat soak from the engine or the sun beating down on it. This caused the gauge face to warp and the speedo needle would drag on it. Once cooled down the speedo would sweep on turn on and function normally.

It was funny to pull up to a stop and have the speedo needle stuck on 120! The odometer and trip meter functions were normal even when the speedo was wacko.

Never got any codes to set when it acted up.
I can't see my issue with speedo being heat related, but who knows. Just sucks I will have to send it back out and have the bike sit for god knows how much longer. Shoulda kept the bitch stock

Old 05-23-2017, 10:43 PM
2015FLTRXS
Intermediate

Okay so I went and took the throttle sensor out of the bars, clipped the green plug out and soldered the wires together. Plugged all the wires back in on the bike (right side wires and throttle wire were outside the bars). Still can't get the codes to clear which means there is still an issue.

I did not reinstall the throttle in the bars thinking that the actual twist sensor could be faulty. Anyone know anything else I should be checking??

Old 05-26-2017, 12:19 AM
2015FLTRXS
Intermediate

Went to the dealership and they said that the actually grip sensor rarely goes bad. Recommended I just get the speedo fixed because that for sure could be the issue. I just don't see it being a sticking needle that happened a handful of times throwing these codes.

Got the bars back on the bike, sans green plug for the throttle. Bike still runs just in LPM. I guess i send my speedo back and let er' sit for ever. ****.

Old 05-26-2017, 08:45 AM
larsfum
Stellar HDF Member
Received 458 Likes on 323 Posts

Sent your gauges out to get customized, and shortly after you get them back a gauge is having issues. Have you contacted the well known company to see if they may be able to help you?

Old 05-26-2017, 05:51 PM
2015FLTRXS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by larsfum
Sent your gauges out to get customized, and shortly after you get them back a gauge is having issues. Have you contacted the well known company to see if they may be able to help you?
Talked to gauge company today. Said they would happily look at the speedo to see if it's a stepper motor issue but stated they do not think the speedo would throw codes.

Thinking of taking the bike to the dealership to run diagnostics on it, see if they can find something like a frayed wire or faulty connection.

Old 06-12-2017, 12:56 AM
2015FLTRXS
Intermediate

So the other day I decided to clean the throttle connection behind the speedo, the actually speedo/tach connection, and also the ecm connections under the seat with electrical contact cleaner then put dielectric grease on the connections. All codes cleared right after.

Rode the bike a total of 102 miles. Stopped 3 different times, stoppage time was 20 minutes first stop, 45 minutes second stop and 3rd stop was close to 2 hours. Codes never showed up, bike ran perfect, everything was solid. (sidenote: speedo hasnt acted up in well over 600 miles).

The next day i pull the bike out of the garage and start it up boom codes are back! wtf. What could have changed in the 12 or so hours the bike sat in the garage. For ***** and giggles I unplugged the ecm to see if there was some sort of reset but after reinstalling the codes stayed on.

My position right now is I start a new job soon so since my bike still works I'd rather send it into the dealer when I'm working so I don't miss too much riding time. Just trying to get a handle on this before that happens. Any help would be appreciated. Really confused how a code pops up overnight.