Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Moving to Germany, Need quiet pipes for registration

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 03:10 PM
Professor317
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moving to Germany, Need quiet pipes for registration

Greetings!

So I'm a military guy, headed to Germany for a couple of years. I'll be taking my 2000 softail with me. Right now it has V&H True Duals with baffles installed and its pretty loud. I'm told the german equivalent of the DMV does a decibel test to register the bike and if you're higher than 95db, you're out of luck.

I'd like to get some very quiet baffles to quickly install just before the inspection and remove immediately after. I'm also open to any other solution you all might recommend. Many thanks

- professor

Old 04-03-2017, 04:10 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Exclamation

I have US family who were in the military for many years, serving in Germany. Check things out more thoroughly as I will be most surprised if you have to register locally as soon as you get there. There is usually a period of grace for a while, possibly 6 months. Same applies for any car you take. As a regular visitor from the UK we don't have to register there while on holiday! Nor should you. IMHO you should have ample time after you get there to establish what you need to do. Alternatively you could simply fit a stock US system before you go.

Old 04-11-2017, 01:37 PM
David B. Moser
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cheap fix

I live near Kaiserslautern. I bought and installed quiet baffles from V&H for my 2005 Springer. It tested out at 95.9db and failed. I found a shop close to here that sold me used stock slip-ons for €50. It's called Ghetto Blasters if you end up in K-Town.

Old 04-11-2017, 03:20 PM
5150northrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 206 Likes on 171 Posts

Dealerships might have some ome pipes that fit, if so they should almost give them to you if you know them. They dont really need them after they change out the pipes on stock new bikes

Old 04-12-2017, 03:33 AM
german ladyrider
Received 142 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Professor317
Greetings!

So I'm a military guy, headed to Germany for a couple of years. I'll be taking my 2000 softail with me. Right now it has V&H True Duals with baffles installed and its pretty loud. I'm told the german equivalent of the DMV does a decibel test to register the bike and if you're higher than 95db, you're out of luck.

I'd like to get some very quiet baffles to quickly install just before the inspection and remove immediately after. I'm also open to any other solution you all might recommend. Many thanks

- professor

Check out ebay.de, the German word for baffles is Auspuff. Or join us on Facebook in the Group "English speaking motorcycle riders in Germany". You might find a lot of helpful Information there.

Old 04-18-2017, 12:00 PM
FXR_Hamster
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did two tours in Germany (90-94, & 2010 -2013)with three HDs (93, 2004, and a 2012, I bought through US Military Vehicle Sales in Ramstein AFB. Check with Mil Sales Reps as they might have some insight, or you might have some special allowances for US Spec vehicles due to SOFA (Status Of Forces Agreement) due to NATO and US Mil/German vehicle registrations. Worth asking your base vehicle registration office. Only got harassed once by local Police on my last tour while out riding and they left us alone when we produced our NATO vehicle registrations for our bikes, and Military licenses.

German TuV (German Government Inspection and Governing Department) was really strict up until the late 90's but things have gotten a bit less restrictive.

Also I knew a few guys that ran Supertrapp systems that were compliant owing to the fact they could regulate the noise levels via the Discs of that particular exhaust system.

One newer exhaust system ( I think a dutch company introduced was a controllable internal exhaust valve system http://jekillandhyde.com/en_global/products

System allows you to control the db levels , but it is heavy as it has state of the art stainless internals and it is pricey but have heard it in person and it works ...flic of a switch and exhaust goes from loud to quiet (not sure about effects on tune or tuner, EFI, but for slips ons it works. Heard the system is cheaper to purchase in North America than in Europe for initial costs.

Hope this helps and enjoy the riding around Europe, as there are some awesome roads.

SE

Old 04-18-2017, 12:03 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by FXR_Hamster
One newer exhaust system ( I think a dutch company introduced was a controllable internal exhaust valve system http://jekillandhyde.com/en_global/products
They were at a recent UK bike show and their system certainly looks good and very well made.

Old 05-19-2017, 12:51 AM
Jay Flynn
Stage II
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you register your bike you will be given 30 day temp tags. Within that 30 days you have to get it inspected. Once it passes you will go back to vehicle registration and change out to a permanent registration that is good for a year. Cost will be 35 dollars per year. Every year it will need to be inspected. A couple of point;

1. The german police will stop you for a loud exhaust and will test it on the side of the road. The fine gets expensive quick and they can revoke your driving privileges. My opinion is to get a set of stock pipes and run them while stationed over here.

2. German LP's are much bigger in size. You can request an exception to policy that will get you a smaller plate. If you want, send me a PM and I will get you the email address and requirements for submitting the exception. I have it for my bike and the smallest plate we can get still needed to be bent to fit on the back of my Electra Glide.

3. AER 190-1 covers license and registration requirements here in USAREUR. look in there if you need specifics or again you can send me a PM and I will try and help you out.

The following users liked this post:
13thRonin (01-20-2018)
Old 05-19-2017, 03:48 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

Is your bike carburatored, or fuel injected? Was it rejetted, flashed or have a fuel management system? They may have to be recalibrated if you put stock pipes on.

I have never been to Germany but I suspect the post about being stopped by Police is correct. Good luck.