General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help first bike choice

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 05:33 PM
NH_RIDER
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey thanks for your input guys. We purchased the 02 Road king and couldn't be happier. My wife was sold on the comfort of the road king over the softail. From what I understand the 2002 road king is a very good year and has already had cam chain tensioner switched to hydraulic all service was done at Harley dealers. We are very happy with our purchase And can't wait to get on the road and ride

Old 04-25-2017, 05:43 PM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,743 Likes on 980 Posts

Originally Posted by NH_RIDER
Hey thanks for your input guys. We purchased the 02 Road king and couldn't be happier. My wife was sold on the comfort of the road king over the softail. From what I understand the 2002 road king is a very good year and has already had cam chain tensioner switched to hydraulic all service was done at Harley dealers. We are very happy with our purchase And can't wait to get on the road and ride
I hear ya My wife's bottom was one of the deciding factors between the Road King and the Super Glide Custom

Old 04-26-2017, 04:05 PM
NH_RIDER
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Purchased the 02 rd king it is high mileage but was serviced regularly has new tires on it Rinehart exhaust and had the cam chain tensioner upgraded to hydraulic at dealer 10,000 miles ago bike has 59,000 miles which I was afraid of paid $5500. Got receipts for all the work and a bunch of years of winter storage. If I could've found the Road King carbureted with Evo I probably would've chosen that. I went to dealership and bought factory service manual today I plan to learn a lot with this bike hopefully it doesn't bite me in the rear. I will tell you I'm not new to motorcycles just Harleys and I'm very mechanically inclined I looked bike over top to bottom with flashlight underneath it and that was in daylight. I will tell you I'm not new to motorcycles just Harleys and I'm very mechanically inclined I looked bike over top to bottom with flashlight underneath it and that was in daylight. I looked at many other bikes and a lot of them with lower miles must've been run in the rain and put away wet they had surface rust and just overall were in worse condition. Hopefully if I stay up on service I can ride this one at least 100k miles without major motor or transmission work

Old 04-26-2017, 04:23 PM
John Rocky rococo
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Streetglide

I would get a street glide. It's very easy to handle has bags tunes and looks cool. The only complaint is the stock suspension travel. Pretty rough over pot holes. If you live in a non frozen state and have nice roads. This is the bike for you

Old 04-26-2017, 05:01 PM
Afishinado
Road Master
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by NH_RIDER
. Hopefully if I stay up on service I can ride this one at least 100k miles without major motor or transmission work
Congrats and best of luck to you and your wife.

Seeing 100k is not unusual at all, it will go through some stuff on the way. 59k Wouldn't scare me off if it appears to be in good shape and maintained.