General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Build your own bike option on web site?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2018, 08:47 AM
ve9aa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 647 Likes on 399 Posts
Default Build your own bike option on web site?

I just got back into bikes last year and bought used.
Now I am *thinkin* of maybe adding another smaller bike to the mix.(maybe a FORTY-EIGHT)
Did the Harley website change a couple months back just before the 2019's were unveiled?

Seems like I could go in and "build my own bike" (or words to that effect) and price out all the different options.

Second, related question....if that option is available, how long does it typically take to get the bike you built?
90% of the bikes (it seems) that they stock here in NB are black.....and while black is nice, I don't want to build/buy a black bike.

Thanks !

Old 10-07-2018, 09:39 AM
DanRC
Road Master
Received 187 Likes on 73 Posts

I noticed that also.

Old 10-07-2018, 10:21 AM
Cogswell
Road Captain
Received 261 Likes on 126 Posts

If you build your bike to order I doubt you will have any room to negotiate on price. Just something to consider.

Old 10-07-2018, 11:29 AM
jamala00
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5,220 Likes on 2,574 Posts

The "build your own" option on the site to my knowledge was not for you to build and order it that way. It was for you to take to the dealer where they would take the bike, order all the part and then charge you so install them. I could be wrong, but I believe that is the way it worked. The website only provided you the cost of the bike with the cost of the parts.. NOT the cost of the dealer to put all said parts on and "build" it for you.

And I have not seen that option on the MoCo site since the 19's

Old 10-07-2018, 12:33 PM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 452 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by jamala00
The "build your own" option on the site to my knowledge was not for you to build and order it that way. It was for you to take to the dealer where they would take the bike, order all the part and then charge you so install them. I could be wrong, but I believe that is the way it worked. The website only provided you the cost of the bike with the cost of the parts.. NOT the cost of the dealer to put all said parts on and "build" it for you.

Yep, that is how it worked

Old 10-07-2018, 01:32 PM
5150northrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 206 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by RollaMo
Yep, that is how it worked
At one time you could sit down and build the xl1200c and the street bob on the website, then make the deal with your dealership and the bike would come in from the factory costume made for you. But it was only on these bikes if i remember correctly. You could play with the other bikes to see what you liked but they had to be put together that way after you got the bike stock from the factory... i dont believe it was on the website last year ether.

Old 10-07-2018, 03:27 PM
maydaymike
Tourer
Received 61 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by 5150northrider
At one time you could sit down and build the xl1200c and the street bob on the website, then make the deal with your dealership and the bike would come in from the factory costume made for you. But it was only on these bikes if i remember correctly. You could play with the other bikes to see what you liked but they had to be put together that way after you got the bike stock from the factory... i dont believe it was on the website last year ether.
Yup...This. I ordered my Street Bob in 2014. The HD-1 program provided a larger color selection (10-12 as i recall, including some two-tone options) instead of the normal 4-5 colors, choice of wheels, bars, black or chrome engine cases, mid or forward controls, and security and ABS. After 4-6 weeks, your bike arrives at the dealer with your options right out of the crate. The changes were much less expensive than having the dealer install parts after delivery. The bar option was only $200 if I recall correctly, and included different length cables to suit.

Old 10-07-2018, 10:20 PM
Dynamick
Not a Moderator!
Received 6,674 Likes on 3,232 Posts

We covered this same question in another recent thread; guess you missed my reply to your post in that one.

But to restate.....Harley offered what they called the HD-1 program, under which you could order a Street Bob or a certain model of Sportster and choose options like wheels, bars, controls, custom paint etc. and have it built that way at the factory. You still had to place the order through a dealership though.

Looks like Harley has discontinued that program however.

Old 10-07-2018, 10:26 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,964 Likes on 17,491 Posts

You are not wrong, way it works is you start with whatever bike you want at MSRP and start adding bling which you also pay for. Dealer gets a cut for installation also but you have a bit of wiggle room on that part as part of the buying package, looked into this when I was shopping for the Road King. Total rip off unless you have more money that sense or just have to have it.