Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M8 problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2018, 01:18 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,234 Likes on 3,613 Posts

Not the transfer problem but it could simply be a leaking pulley seal. They do that occasionally. Even TCs, evos, shovels..... and the rest.

Old 11-12-2018, 06:09 PM
Redrodyankneck
Stellar HDF Member
Received 825 Likes on 493 Posts

Originally Posted by kmcintee
Possible Problem. Today, 11-12-18, I noticed some red colored fluid under where my left side muffler connects to my head pipe. The only red colored fluid I use is red line transmission fluid so I can read the level. The rest of my fluids are clear or oil color. I'm curious if this may be a transfer problem, but why the leak? My bike, 2017 Road Glide Ultra goes in the shop on 11--30-18 for recall fix on clutch issue and continuation of cam upgrade changing exhaust system to jackpot 2-1-2 and S&S mk 45 mufflers. I have the RS 468 cam already installed. I am concerned about this new issue with the red colored fluid leak that seem to be coming from the clutch side of the bike. Any thoughts are welcomed.
Thanks, Ken From Tacoma WA
What's the fluid level in the transmission, is it low?

Old 11-15-2018, 09:09 AM
Jsrn
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Impatient

Couldn’t wait for warranty to end. Tuner, air intake and new exsaust.

Old 11-15-2018, 11:19 PM
FBS114
Stage II
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Alrighty then! I’m ten days into my 2018 Fat Bob ownership. Everything goes exactly as planned, I cut my deal with the local H-D dealership, take my trip to SOCAL to witness one of our USMC sons get promoted to Captain, get back home, get a cashiers check, pay dealership, jump on my new H-D Fat Bob and ride it home. I have ridden it every day but Monday, which was so cold, wet and miserable nobody was riding that day. But I’ve ridden for hours at temps as low as 26 degrees this week. I actually appreciate the cooler temps down here. When it’s that cold there are no bugs, snakes, skunks, Possums, armadillos or very few deer to encounter on my ride.

This dealership has a very good reputation in this area. It appears to be well deserved. I’ve had zero issues with them or the new 2018 Fat Bob. Both have exceeded my highest expectations. And I’ve held an active Aircraft & Powerplant Inspection Authorization for decades. I’m critical and that’s as nicely, as I can say it.

Some very big big ticket promises were made on a hand shake. And they performed on everything promised and more. I recognize that a very big part of what went down between us on this sale, wasn’t H-D the factory, but this dealership.

The 2018 Fat Bob has far exceeded my wildest imagination. Even after watching all the YouTube video reviews, reading everything I could find written about them. It’s a dream to ride. The engine, transmission, clutch, throttle, brakes, handlebars are a great fit for my 6 foot, very fit 195 pound frame with a 6 foot 3 inch wingspan. I did swap and invert the mirrors, because I was basically looking at my arms in the mirrors while riding???

I love the torque of this engine! It’s always there, no matter where you maybe in the rpm power curve if you want a little more right now, all you have to do ask, by rolling that throttle a little more. And this engine / transmission combination delivers torque and power as quickly as you can ask for it. I threw my money down for this Milwaukee Eight Engine and I’m not disappointed, at all.

The bonus for me, is the 2018 Fat Bob 114. It’s a very modern bobber on steroids. I know that this isn’t the bike for everyone. It’s a little too hot on the performance scale for most H-D fans, that prefer H-D’s powerful luxurious touring bikes. I don’t think that I will ever get to that point. I’ve had my Corvette ZR1 for 6.5 years and a Corvette Z51 for 6.5 years before that. I’m not gonna be buying any luxury car, thank you very much.

So, I’ve read all the bad news. I checked out the reports of the inability to access the spark plugs without pulling the gas tank (which is only two bolts), a special tool required to pull spark plug wire boots and loose spark plugs and hardware. I haven’t found any of those reports to be an accurate description of my experience with this 2018 Fat Bob.

Last edited by FBS114; 11-15-2018 at 11:35 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by FBS114:
johnnynitro (11-16-2018), Max Headflow (11-16-2018)
Old 11-16-2018, 06:24 AM
Crowbar1
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

With all the problems they say the M8 has, I know they are real, to what extent i do not know. But with the rocker bolt issues, valve seat issues, oil transfer issue, sumping issue. now the clutch recall issue. I'm afraid to ride my 17 RGS around the block. When I bought the bike, I didn't want worries, I just wanted to get on it and ride.
Fortunately for me, after about 9000 miles in the past 14 months that I've had it, no problems. Still, every time I go for a ride I check fluids, listen strange sounds - the whole deal is making me paranoid and wondering when will it be my turn to have problems.

Old 11-16-2018, 09:05 AM
QNman
Supporter
Received 3,706 Likes on 1,987 Posts

Originally Posted by Crowbar1
With all the problems they say the M8 has, I know they are real, to what extent i do not know. But with the rocker bolt issues, valve seat issues, oil transfer issue, sumping issue. now the clutch recall issue. I'm afraid to ride my 17 RGS around the block. When I bought the bike, I didn't want worries, I just wanted to get on it and ride.
Fortunately for me, after about 9000 miles in the past 14 months that I've had it, no problems. Still, every time I go for a ride I check fluids, listen strange sounds - the whole deal is making me paranoid and wondering when will it be my turn to have problems.
That ain't no way to live, man. That's like riding around worried about when you're going to get in an accident.

Just ride. If problems find you, deal with them then. Worrying about what may happen doesn't add a damn thing to prevent them; it just sucks the life of every trouble-free moment.

The following 3 users liked this post by QNman:
Harman (10-26-2019), johnnynitro (11-16-2018), Northernproducer (11-18-2018)
Old 11-16-2018, 10:32 AM
northshore_paul
Cruiser
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

So true. It's like when I get a new car or bike I hate to take it out because it might rain, get bugs in the grill, or get a scratch in the Walmart parking lot! Heck I might as well just keep it on a pedestal in my garage and just look at it. After the first scratch, no more worries. lol

The following 2 users liked this post by northshore_paul:
johnnynitro (11-16-2018), Northernproducer (11-18-2018)
Old 11-24-2018, 09:39 AM
Gary Cochran
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2019 m8

Originally Posted by hardheaded
post problems with the new M8 engines here.
how’s it going? So I bought a 2019 Roadglide special and at 564 miles the clutch stopped working... same problem that the other bikes have.. secondary actuator... Harley said but there isn’t a recall on your bike... right but there will be you just don’t have enough 2019s yet.. so I called them to come n pick it up to fix and they dropped it in the trailer my bike is black on black and everything shows so .. so after 2weeks I went down to the shop to see what had been done... well nothing , just taken apart and waiting....they said after it’s fixed they would only charge me a small fee to deliver it back to me.... so I guess after spending $30,000 I should pay more . So if ya got a 19 with a hydraulic clutch be ready...

Old 11-24-2018, 04:07 PM
MC72
Stage IV
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default M8 17 SGS primary trans leak

have a 17 street glide special and had a warranty issue fixed where the seal between the transmission and the primary leak. Primary over filled with fluid from the trans. Problem is fixed within about 2000 miles later I noticed my trans dipstick was dry. Took it in and I filled both levels and are waiting to hear back from Harley on the issue. Anyone have this problem with their seal?

The following 2 users liked this post by MC72:
Sccar (11-25-2018), scooper321 (11-01-2019)
Old 11-24-2018, 04:23 PM
Gary Cochran
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2019 m8

have a 17 street glide special and had a warranty issue fixed where the seal between the transmission and the primary leak. Primary over filled with fluid from the trans. Problem is fixed within about 2000 miles later I noticed my trans dipstick was dry. Took it in and I filled both levels and are waiting to hear back from Harley on the issue. Anyone have this problem with their seal?
[/QUOTE]i don’t know if I have a transfer problem yet but I do know it used two quarts of motor oil in 560 miles during brake in

Quick Reply: M8 problems