Sponsored by:

2018 M8----Sumping? Failures?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 07:30 AM
RichComp
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Engine and clutch failure

Hello, I just joined this forum and if I haven’t asked this question in the right place I’d appreciate guidance. Yesterday I was running with 2 friends at high speed for approximately 45 minutes (between 95-105 occasionally 110) when I reached for my clutch and the clutch pull was totally gone. I kept running for approximately 5 minutes like that and the bike shut down. I waited 15 minutes on the side of the road, the clutch pull came back 60-70% with some pumping the bike started and I atempted to get to the dealership when within 5 minutes the clutch was once again gone and the bike shut down and this time it was at least 2 hours later when my buddies returned with a trailer, the clutch pull felt normal however the bike would not start. During that 2 hour period I tried approximately 15 minute intervals to restart the bike and it varied from not turning over at all to turning over normally just before loading but it would not start. Can anyone shine some light on this?
2017 Road Glide Ultra 1 up with the tour pack removed. StageIV, CVO crank shaft making the motor a 117”, TTS tuner, D&D 2-1 no ghost pipe, all dealer installed before taking delivery. The bike has 2000 miles on it and first time running hard for an extended period of time.

Old 03-18-2018, 08:33 AM
tbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 690 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by RichComp
Hello, I just joined this forum and if I haven’t asked this question in the right place I’d appreciate guidance. Yesterday I was running with 2 friends at high speed for approximately 45 minutes (between 95-105 occasionally 110) when I reached for my clutch and the clutch pull was totally gone. I kept running for approximately 5 minutes like that and the bike shut down. I waited 15 minutes on the side of the road, the clutch pull came back 60-70% with some pumping the bike started and I atempted to get to the dealership when within 5 minutes the clutch was once again gone and the bike shut down and this time it was at least 2 hours later when my buddies returned with a trailer, the clutch pull felt normal however the bike would not start. During that 2 hour period I tried approximately 15 minute intervals to restart the bike and it varied from not turning over at all to turning over normally just before loading but it would not start. Can anyone shine some light on this?
2017 Road Glide Ultra 1 up with the tour pack removed. StageIV, CVO crank shaft making the motor a 117”, TTS tuner, D&D 2-1 no ghost pipe, all dealer installed before taking delivery. The bike has 2000 miles on it and first time running hard for an extended period of time.
Keep moving folks ,nothing to see here.

Old 03-18-2018, 09:09 AM
roadrash3
Road Master
Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

Pretty sure it has to do with the Oil choice

Old 03-18-2018, 09:44 AM
RichComp
6th Gear

Oil is synthetic and neglected to mention the motor was tested for sumping issue and oil pump was changed before this ride.

Old 03-18-2018, 10:50 AM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member
Received 599 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by FLSTFI Dave
Do not get my wrong I do enjoy my Harleys, and I ride about 24K miles a year. That said they are not reliable. Harley does indeed sell them knowing full well of the issues. They just count on the average ride will never put enough miles a year on the bike to have the issues covered by warranty.

Out of the Four CVO bikes with 110 motors I have owned the 09, (46K miles) and the 15 (44K miles) had catastrophic lifter failure. The 09 had the top end, cams and so on replaced under warranty. The 15 had the entire engine replaced under warranty. The 12 had two compensaters, and one clutch and one Voltage regulator under warranty. The 13 has had no issue, as I built the motor with 1500 miles on the bike when it started getting lifter noise.

Wife's 09 had the stator replaced under warranty at 44K miles.

Traded the 17 CVO at 21K miles, but had been in for oil issues.

No issues yet on the 18 CVO, but I will not be surprised if there are before 45K miles based on their track record.

I trade before warranty is up as I do not trust them, and at 6K for a replacement engine it should be easy to see why.
With that history of failures my question begs...Why would you continue to torture yourself dealing with so many failures and issues...year in year out, bike in bike out?
Why not buy a bike that will live up to your expectations and provide you with years of trouble free riding?
I know the Harley ride, sound, and feel is somewhat unique but geez cut yourself some slack and get away from these unreliable crap cycles!
I, on the other hand, have been really lucky I cause I’ve experienced none of the failures you have...thanks to the guy upstairs I guess?
Bob

The following users liked this post:
Oldpanrider (03-22-2018)
Old 03-18-2018, 11:05 AM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,476 Likes on 1,062 Posts

Oil is synthetic and neglected to mention the motor was tested for sumping issue and oil pump was changed before this ride.
Sounds like you might have gotten one of those middle eastern built Harleys.

If I were you, I'd put it up for sale here on this forum for 1/3of what you paid for it. Get out while you can.

Old 03-18-2018, 09:11 PM
FLSTFI Dave
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,957 Likes on 2,351 Posts

Originally Posted by FLTRI17

With that history of failures my question begs...Why would you continue to torture yourself dealing with so many failures and issues...year in year out, bike in bike out?
Why not buy a bike that will live up to your expectations and provide you with years of trouble free riding?
I know the Harley ride, sound, and feel is somewhat unique but geez cut yourself some slack and get away from these unreliable crap cycles!
I, on the other hand, have been really lucky I cause I’ve experienced none of the failures you have...thanks to the guy upstairs I guess?
Bob
I have honestly tried other brands. The BMW 1600 GTL is a great riding and handling bike. I do not find it comfortable for 600 plus mile days. Not a fan of the older gold wings, the 18 looks interesting and will demo one.

I tried to like Indian. Infotainment system is way better then HD. Engine is about the same, handling a little better. Comfort similar. Reliability is similar also. That scares me as they have a much smaller dealer network.

One of the best things about a Harley is when you break down, there is usuall a dealer with in a few hours a way. Others it could be ten hours or more to a dealer.

So from above you can see part of why I continue to stay with HD. I was going to switch to the BMW 1600 B when I got ride of my 15 right after the engine failure. However the M8 interested me. I love the M8 engine, and the oil issue on my 17 were minor issues compared to issues I had with the 110's.

I am hoping my 18 CVO proves to be better than my previous bikes. So far this is my favorite Harley to date. 8K miles and no issues. If I start having issues it will be traded before its 24 months old.

There is nothing quite as nice as a Harley to me for comfort and soul.

The following users liked this post:
INJEKTER (09-13-2018)
Old 03-19-2018, 06:08 PM
Heatwave
Received 1,077 Likes on 638 Posts

Don't mean to **** you off or scare you, but I'm on my 3rd engine in my 2017 CVO Limited so I speak from a place of empathizing with your situation. I'm afraid to say with your description of failure and the modifications you've made to the bike, I think you are about to enter a world of "hurt" when you take the bike in for warranty repair coverage. Please update your latest status.

Old 03-19-2018, 08:47 PM
RichComp
6th Gear

The dealership recommended the tuner and I wanted the pipe (not sure I even like it). They also advised me the warranty would be void and sold me an aftermarket warranty that covered performance work, guess I’m going to test it now.

Old 03-19-2018, 09:00 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,228 Likes on 1,267 Posts

Curious which aftermarket warranty company you went with, that claims to cover performance work?

Quick Reply: 2018 M8----Sumping? Failures?