Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

OCMD bike week 2018

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 05:27 AM
Diablo4123
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default OCMD bike week 2018

Trying to get some feedback on the OCMD bike week. I have never been to it and like to know others opinions? I haven't ridden this far in 20 years.Its about 150 miles from my house. Any advice to help me prepare for the ride would be helpful too.

Old 07-23-2018, 08:57 AM
nibroc
Road Warrior
Received 211 Likes on 158 Posts

????????????????????????????????????????

Old 07-23-2018, 12:14 PM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,563 Likes on 1,082 Posts
Old 07-23-2018, 01:11 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,273 Likes on 11,143 Posts

Just do it, uh...take a few shorter rides, and build up to that whopping 150 mile trip.

Old 07-23-2018, 04:29 PM
shrydog
Cruiser
Received 68 Likes on 38 Posts

Where are you located in PA? Its 190 miles for me and we go every year. From York, we leave Thursday morning and go down through Southern Lancaster County and past Dover, Delaware to get there in less than four hours.
In my opinion, it's the best bike event in the Northeast region. Actually there are two events going on (OC Bikefest & Delmarva Bike Weekend) they are promoted separately.
OC Bikefest is within a fenced area at the end of the boardwalk that has good vendors and big name concerts (38 Special, Pop Evil, Vince Neil, etc.) but costs $75 for the weekend.
The Delmarva event is free and spread out over a few locations with vendors at each place.
There is plenty of nightlife (Fishtails, Seacrets, MR Ducks, Trader Lee's, Sunset Grill, Harborside, Oasis Bar & Grill, Lazy Lizard, Purple Moose Saloon, Pickle Pub, etc.) and every place is kickin but don't raise Hell on the roads or OCPD will hammer you, otherwise they let you alone.

Old 07-23-2018, 05:38 PM
Diablo4123
Intermediate

I am in Reading, I was thinking of leaving early in the morning. I am not a big fan of riding in the heat. I mostly ride in the evening and at night.Plus I am thinking the traffic might be a little lighter. I was thinking of taking 422 east to 100 and then taking 202 to 95 and picking up 13 around Wilmington. I know that route pretty well was stationed in virgina. I know most people on here think 150 miles is a joke. But its a new bike for me and I am still getting used to all that power. I am definitely gonna need a new seat. The factory street bob seat sucks and some highway pegs will be nice too. I appreciate all the comments.

Old 07-23-2018, 08:03 PM
kberger
Cruiser
Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

OC Bikeweek is a great event. make sure that you have a place to stay lined up before you go. as others have said, OCPD will be out in force. plenty off other ways to get around once the party starts.

Old 07-23-2018, 08:06 PM
Diablo4123
Intermediate

Is it best to stay in oc or outside of the area like in dewey or fenwick?

Old 07-24-2018, 10:03 AM
66impala
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

Reading area here also (Mohnton). 150 miles is a good day of riding, you need to ride your own ride, if thats what your comfortable with stick to it.

I did OC two years ago for the first time and I did have a good time, we did seacrets bar/club. But I dont feel the need to go there again and here are my reasons why.

Motels are overpriced, OC is huge and very few things are in walking distance to each other, vendor and entertainment at the end of the boardwalk was a charge like 35.00. OC cops are out to make their quotas. Alot of crazy car drivers in town still, the main drag is like a major highway.

Just a suggestion, try Roar to the Shore, in Wildwood NJ. at the same time. We go every year and still have a great time with our friends. Motels are reasonable, we stay at the Caribbean which is a couple bucks more but its worth it. Wildwood is more of a walkable event around town, good vendors if thats your thing, a drunk trolley to get you around town. Kellys bar is a good hang to watch people and bikes. Bolero bar if you want to see alot of bikes, vendors and crazy people.

If you want to get together some time locally to ride send me a P..M.

Old 07-24-2018, 07:46 PM
shrydog
Cruiser
Received 68 Likes on 38 Posts

I agree motels tend to be overpriced especially Friday and Saturday nights so we usually stay with others. I have waited until the week before to check the forecast and could still book rooms but not as much too choose from. I like staying where the action is anywhere from 45th Street on down. Fenwick is only a short ride up town but Dewey is a long ride back if you stay in town too late, just watch the speed limit. Lots of bugs also. If your having too much fun there is a drunk bus that you can take all day for $2 and its kinda entertaining.

Quick Reply: OCMD bike week 2018