Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Road trip items

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 10:32 AM
M8USA
Road Master
Received 441 Likes on 233 Posts
Default Road trip items

know we each have different needs and live in different parts of the States/world. So what we take on a short or long trip
varies. This is my list and am sure there are Items I didn't think of. There are sources on the internet and you have to go thru many searches.
I would like to see this added as a sticky so that it becomes an easy reference tool.
This is my list and hoping you add to it.

Old 09-28-2018, 09:40 AM
AbqDave
Tourer
Received 186 Likes on 97 Posts

I dunno my packing list usually looks like "toothbrush... credit card... am I missing anything?" With the answer to the question being "walmart." Sometimes at 3am I wander through walmart, just so I can feel at home. Is that sad?

OK alright.

1. LD Comfort drawers. Designed for biker comfort and they work. They also dry out overnight if you wash em in the sink. They make a complete range of base layers, read up on how you can use the long-sleeve T shirt as a cooling system.
2. Merino wool socks. Comfy, don't stank, and usually dry out overnight. Hint: if you wear under-armor, ski socks will keep the knee pads cinched into place.
3. Convertible fishing pants. Versatile, pack down to nothing, and they dry out quickly too.

Is it just me, or do y'all constantly find yourselves thinking, "wish I'd a brought the binoculars." I think that all the time, and still don't bring em.

The following users liked this post:
cacomly (10-12-2018)
Old 09-28-2018, 11:27 AM
vanman59
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't carry: bike lock, cover, chamois, loctite, paper and pen (cell phone notes), regular flashlight (use cell phone and head flashlight)

add: baby wipes, microfiber towels and lemon pledge (clean and shine MC), Harley tool kit (the better one with wrenches), safety wire, make sure first aid kit has a burn ointment, crotch spray if its hot, charger and cords (add an inverter for your PC)

At first you will carry too much crap. You can buy anything you need at Walmart.

Last edited by vanman59; 09-28-2018 at 11:28 AM. Reason: added charger
Old 10-06-2018, 07:33 PM
top0211
Cruiser
Received 59 Likes on 34 Posts

I always carry parachute cord, Almost as useful as duct tape.

Old 10-07-2018, 06:38 AM
guido4198
Stellar HDF Member
Received 7,672 Likes on 2,311 Posts

Dave asked:
" Sometimes at 3am I wander through walmart, just so I can feel at home. Is that sad?"
Yes Dave...it is.
On to the lists. I have a couple of comments which are based upon a little over 400,000 mi. on 2-wheels and worth what you're paying for them.
1. Most folks, including me...take too many clothes. I can't tell you how many times I have gotten home with a lot of clothes that never got used.
2. Chamois, Lemon Pledge, Micor-fiber towels...???!! Really..??? I'm not doing any cleaning and polishing when I'm on the road. I guess those are good suggestions if that's how you want to spend your road-time though. I don't.
3. Flashlight...absolutely. A small 2-AA cell Mini-MagLite. I actually carry 2 of them. One is in my tool bag, the other rides in a Cordura holster on my belt. Makes a decent "field-expedient" Kubotan in a pinch, and totally legal everywhere. The "flashlight feature" on a cell phone is good for a lot of things but it's darn near impossible to hold it in your mouth and swap out a coil at midnight on the side of the road. One of those head-band lights works great too.
4. Comfortable boots, socks and Foot powder.. Take care of your feet. On that note however...I don't carry extra shoes for anything less than a 2 week run. My well broken in Engineer Boots cover all my footwear needs.
5. In just the last couple of years, I have started carrying a Smart Phone. That means I'm also making sure to have the necessary extras along with me to keep it charged. I don't carry any other kind of computer, GPS, or anything like that however. The little phone does all that about as good as I need.
6. I have one of the small lithium ion jumpers in my saddlebags at all times. Never know when a battery will decide to fail. Also a small air compressor and tire plug kit. I'm running tubeless tires.
7. TOOLS....I carry waayyyy more than most folks. I spread'em all out on a big towel once and took a picture. Really quite amazing, but at one time or another...I've been glad I had'em to get either myself, or someone else in the pack, back up and on the road. Ride enough miles, and you'll be amazed at the "issues" you might see. I don't ride by a lone motorcycle broke down on the side of the road. Don't see it as much these days, not like we used to anyhow, but it still happens. Craziest thing I remember was coming out of D.C. after Rolling Thunder a few years back. Just outside of Richmond, VA on I-95 a bike was on the side of the road so I pulled over. He had lost his rear axle nut...rear axle was backing out on him.
We lifted the rear end of the bike, kicked the axle back into place, wrapped the threads with electrical tape for some measure of protection then clamped my small Vise-Grip pliers over the end of the axle. Got him home without further incident.
8. Spare parts...If you're still reading this you've probably figured out that I do a lot of miles solo. I carry a few of the spare parts that I've found to be useful on my particular bike (1985 FXRS) over time, and over the 285,000 mi. I've put on her. Things that can fail and terminate your trip, but which can be replaced on the side of the road, IF you have a spare. Each bike is going to be a little different so what I carry is most likely not relevant to your's. Just a thought though.

I see this is getting kinda long so I'll stop here.

Last edited by guido4198; 10-07-2018 at 06:40 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by guido4198:
cacomly (10-12-2018), M8USA (10-08-2018), Terry702 (10-11-2018)
Old 10-07-2018, 06:43 PM
mo cajun
Road Captain
Received 134 Likes on 83 Posts

I save old underware during the year and toss as the trip goes on. I have started packing less cloths since most hotels have washer and dryers for guest

Old 10-08-2018, 06:49 AM
RFG7680
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,280 Likes on 733 Posts

Jetboil. Coffee. Creamer.

Old 10-09-2018, 11:01 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,491 Likes on 1,603 Posts

My list:
D/L, registration and insurance papers.
A major (or 2) credit card(s).
Cell phone w/chargers (12v &110).
Cash for several days.
Leather and rain gear (climate appropriate).
Prescription meds and eyeglasses.
Protection gear that you are legally allowed to possess and carry.

Anything else you need or want can be purchased as the need arises.

Old 10-12-2018, 10:13 AM
cacomly
Road Master
Received 585 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by guido4198
Dave asked:
" Sometimes at 3am I wander through walmart, just so I can feel at home. Is that sad?"
Yes Dave...it is.
On to the lists. I have a couple of comments which are based upon a little over 400,000 mi. on 2-wheels and worth what you're paying for them.
1. Most folks, including me...take too many clothes. I can't tell you how many times I have gotten home with a lot of clothes that never got used.
2. Chamois, Lemon Pledge, Micor-fiber towels...???!! Really..??? I'm not doing any cleaning and polishing when I'm on the road. I guess those are good suggestions if that's how you want to spend your road-time though. I don't.
3. Flashlight...absolutely. A small 2-AA cell Mini-MagLite. I actually carry 2 of them. One is in my tool bag, the other rides in a Cordura holster on my belt. Makes a decent "field-expedient" Kubotan in a pinch, and totally legal everywhere. The "flashlight feature" on a cell phone is good for a lot of things but it's darn near impossible to hold it in your mouth and swap out a coil at midnight on the side of the road. One of those head-band lights works great too.
4. Comfortable boots, socks and Foot powder.. Take care of your feet. On that note however...I don't carry extra shoes for anything less than a 2 week run. My well broken in Engineer Boots cover all my footwear needs.
5. In just the last couple of years, I have started carrying a Smart Phone. That means I'm also making sure to have the necessary extras along with me to keep it charged. I don't carry any other kind of computer, GPS, or anything like that however. The little phone does all that about as good as I need.
6. I have one of the small lithium ion jumpers in my saddlebags at all times. Never know when a battery will decide to fail. Also a small air compressor and tire plug kit. I'm running tubeless tires.
7. TOOLS....I carry waayyyy more than most folks. I spread'em all out on a big towel once and took a picture. Really quite amazing, but at one time or another...I've been glad I had'em to get either myself, or someone else in the pack, back up and on the road. Ride enough miles, and you'll be amazed at the "issues" you might see. I don't ride by a lone motorcycle broke down on the side of the road. Don't see it as much these days, not like we used to anyhow, but it still happens. Craziest thing I remember was coming out of D.C. after Rolling Thunder a few years back. Just outside of Richmond, VA on I-95 a bike was on the side of the road so I pulled over. He had lost his rear axle nut...rear axle was backing out on him.
We lifted the rear end of the bike, kicked the axle back into place, wrapped the threads with electrical tape for some measure of protection then clamped my small Vise-Grip pliers over the end of the axle. Got him home without further incident.
8. Spare parts...If you're still reading this you've probably figured out that I do a lot of miles solo. I carry a few of the spare parts that I've found to be useful on my particular bike (1985 FXRS) over time, and over the 285,000 mi. I've put on her. Things that can fail and terminate your trip, but which can be replaced on the side of the road, IF you have a spare. Each bike is going to be a little different so what I carry is most likely not relevant to your's. Just a thought though.

I see this is getting kinda long so I'll stop here.
I'm in this camp except I do carry a pair of docksiders with me as well as my laptop. I have charging cords for my phone in my tank bag if I need to charge it. The gym bag I keep my clothes in also has a pouch with a full set of charging cords for everything I carry on the bike and it stays there. As for spare parts, I carry a spare drive belt as they are not normally stocked at dealers (I travel on my Sportster so much easier to replace)

During the 2017 Iron Butt Rally I had to replace my stator and regulator. I had all the tools needed to do so except the 1 3/16 socket which I had in my hand but put back on the shelf. I did not replace it on the side of the road, but it was in a friend's garage who had zero tools.