Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long Term Storage Damage

Old 11-09-2018, 02:18 AM
805dwg
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Long Term Storage Damage

Hey guys, need some help saving a life here. Saw a beautiful 2001 FXST online that was up for auction. It was being sold by a community college that had purchased the bike 10 yrs ago to use for a small engine class. The listing said that the bike had been put in storage temporarily, but ended staying there for 10 years. There were extensive pictures of the entire bike. Not a spot of rust, super clean. The listing stated “ New battery, engine starts but won’t stay on because of gas.”
I bid $3700 and to my surprise won the bike. I got it home, and found the oil dipstick rusted and needed to be pried out of the reservoir. Which is empty. The gas tank is full of rusty chunks and the trans fluid is milky white.
There’s no way this engine starts like this. Can it be saved? Is it worth trying? I already have $3700 invested. The bike looks great, but .......

Old 11-09-2018, 02:43 AM
Andy from Sandy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,717 Likes on 2,390 Posts

There is a guy on here who has a straight answer for you. lol.
If it is full of crap I would strip it down and thoroughly clean everything, changing parts that need them.
If the cases hold the liquids in then it is only the internals that need attention.
If the frame is good and everything else is good then how hard can it be to get the engine going?
If the frame was shot with rust then that is for the skip and you are looking at a new bike.

Old 11-09-2018, 06:51 AM
GRWHD
Road Warrior
Received 256 Likes on 207 Posts

Have you pulled all three plugs to see what (if anything) comes out?
That would be the first thing I would do.

Old 11-09-2018, 07:06 AM
Pitbull_Dallas
Road Master
Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Yes, go through and clean everything.mhqving sat so long, the oil may have sumped, so yiu may be ok there.

Old 11-09-2018, 12:24 PM
jam436
Supporter
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

I'm just wondering how many times that engine was torn down and put back together by unskilled hands?

Old 11-09-2018, 01:25 PM
AIR_RAM
Advanced
Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by jam436
I'm just wondering how many times that engine was torn down and put back together by unskilled hands?
BINGO!

It sounds like you still got a great deal... You just need to invest in either a brand new engine/drive train/fuel tank or get your hands dirty and rebuild what you have from the ground up...

I would not even think of starting that engine without a real good rebuild.

Keep us posted, it sounds like a great project.

SPEED SAFE, NICK

Old 11-09-2018, 06:13 PM
805dwg
Cruiser

I’ve decided not to do anything physically harmful to the lying bastard that’s responsible for this, instead I accept the challenge.
Common sense is telling me to first remove the gas tank and work my way down. I’m open to any and all opinions on how to proceed. I’m hoping for everyone’s support as we together can save this girl.

Old 11-09-2018, 06:44 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,370 Likes on 4,000 Posts

Originally Posted by 805dwg
I’ve decided not to do anything physically harmful to the lying bastard that’s responsible for this, instead I accept the challenge.
Common sense is telling me to first remove the gas tank and work my way down. I’m open to any and all opinions on how to proceed. I’m hoping for everyone’s support as we together can save this girl.

It should be a fun project AND you will learn a lot about your bike. Plus, if you take your time and don't cut corners, you will know everything was done properly....!!

I'm glad you accepted the challenge, butall due respect, you really have no one to blame, other than yourself....

FWIW.... you bought a bike, sight unseen, prior to inspecting it.... That alone is always taking a BIG chance. The person who posted, "New battery, engine starts but won’t stay on because of gas”, probably got that info second hand, just like you did....

One line in your first post, "It was being sold by a community college that had purchased the bike 10 yrs ago to use for a small engine class. The listing said that the bike had been put in storage temporarily, but ended staying there for 10 years."..... should have been a BIG red flag! How many times that bike been "fixed" by unskilled hands, and then just put away for 10 years with no prep, would have given me major pause. I would have contacted the seller with a ton of questions and only offered a bid with conditions...

But that's water under the bridge at this point, live & learn.... as I said, in one way, you are very lucky... if the bike is as clean as it looked in the pics and you describe... it can be fixed... and it WILL be a fun project!!!

Enjoy and post up some pics...

Old 11-10-2018, 08:25 AM
805dwg
Cruiser

I guess I wasnt clear about the school, they don’t have a small engine class. They bought 2 bikes with the intention of starting a class but never did. So the bike was as is when purchased.

Of course it’s ultimately on me, but thinking it starts was a significant factor when I bought the bike sight on seen.

But we can agree that it’s going to be fun.

So I got the tank off and it’s full of varnished chunks. Looks like that’s the worst of it. There’s no large openings in the tank to clean it out. Any ideas?

Old 11-10-2018, 09:01 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,370 Likes on 4,000 Posts

Originally Posted by 805dwg;17817313[left
But we can agree that it’s going to be fun.

So I got the tank off and it’s full of varnished chunks. Looks like that’s the worst of it. There’s no large openings in the tank to clean it out. Any ideas?

I had the paint liner of my '01 peel... with a carb bike, there are only 3 holes in the tank. You won't get much out of the petcock hole, so you'll have to work with the gas fill on one side and remove the float for the gas gauge on the other side.... it's not hard, and the easiest way to flush everything out.

When you put the gas gauge float back in, remember to use a new gasket and new sealing screws....

That varnish could be the main culprit... clean it out of the tank, petcock, lines, and carb... then you'll be rolling in no time!