Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake light is not working

Old 06-12-2019, 09:00 AM
niv
Tourer
Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
Question Brake light is not working

Hello,

coming back from a recent ride (2012 FXS), I noticed my brake light was not working correctly. At first, I suspected it was on all the time, as applying either brake would not change anything.

This pointed to the typical front brake light switch problem, but my whole brake assembly was pretty new, so I figured to first check the rear switch. I unplugged the cables and bridged them with a paper clip and to my surprise, the brake lights went on!

So my question: Is it reasonably possibly that both brake light switches go out at more or less the same time? I doubt I have had this problem for long, as I often play with the brakes at stoplights, if just to see whether the brake light still works.

Or is there anything else that could explain this behavior? From my basic understanding of how the thing works, the back switch must be broken, otherwise applying pressure would turn the lights on just like my paper-clip bridge did. But the front one is surprising, as I thought when those are broken, they usually result in always-on brake lights...

I hope anyone can shed some light on this (no pun intended)!

Thanks already, niv

p.s. that said, I get conflicting info on a replacement for the rear: does the accel 181101 fit a 2012 softail? if not, any recommendations?

Old 06-12-2019, 09:18 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,525 Likes on 3,778 Posts

Use one brake carefully at a time to figure really which one it is. Then fix it first. I have replaced the front and back and am on my 3rd set. Harley's switches were pure junk in 2004 and obiviously, Harley got them from the lowest bidder. My last two came from AUTOZONE lifetime for hydraulic one. Front, was a China off eBay. Think your 2012 is the whole inner clamshell. So no cheap fix. My front would hang on and not go off. Then not work. When they burn-up, they do that. Rear just would not work. Harley actually recalled rear for the second change. It lasted a year.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 06-12-2019 at 09:21 AM.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:21 AM
niv
Tourer

Thanks for the swift reply RIPSAW! Not sure what you mean by using one brake at a time. Neither works... And the whole front is pretty new actually, less than one year! That's why I am desperately hoping for something other than the switch itself.
Best, niv

Old 06-12-2019, 12:23 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,525 Likes on 3,778 Posts

Originally Posted by niv
Thanks for the swift reply RIPSAW! Not sure what you mean by using one brake at a time. Neither works... And the whole front is pretty new actually, less than one year! That's why I am desperately hoping for something other than the switch itself.
Best, niv
Misread the on all the time. Obiviously, it would appear when you bridge the rear hydraulic one, the light works, so you know bulb and fuse are good, so it is a simple mater to screw rear out, be ready to screw rear in. I go just a few turns in making sure it is in but not tight. Then I apply brake slightly till i see a tad of fluid at threads to purge any air. Then snug up the tapered pipe fitting.

I assume you do not have cruse, ABS or combined brake. If so, the 15 AMP ACCS drives it all. Since you have power back to rear hydraulic , then it's the front switch also.

But not an expert.

Be sure to add a signature line under your user for your bike year, model and letters.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 06-12-2019 at 12:30 PM.
Old 06-14-2019, 01:44 PM
niv
Tourer

So I managed to go shopping today, bought front and rear brake light switch at the local dealership. Turns out the back one is a bit more pricey than what you can find otherwise on the internet, but it seems that recently a number of the made in china / taiwan switches would just come apart rather quickly, leaking brake fluid right onto the track of one's back tire. Not exactly what I am looking for...
The front one was the same price as any replacements to be found from aftermarket manufacturers, which I find quite nice.

For the front one, I was surprised to see that it comes with pins attached to the wiring. I was under the impression that one had to solder the cables when replacing, but this looks like there is some place to plug them in. Can anyone confirm this is correct for a 2012 Softail?

Thanks already and best regards, niv

The lot of them, on the left the back one, on the right the front one:

This is the actual front brake light switch, with wiring ending in pins: