Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Test drove 08 heritage classic today

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 08:37 PM
King Kong Sportster
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Test drove 08 heritage classic today

Ok, so I own an 07 sportster 1200that I purchased back in feb of this year. At the time that I bought the bike, I truly felt like it was the best choice for me as far as my skillset, confidenceand being freshout of taking the riders course.My sporstster is a really fun an awesome riding bike. But here lately I just cant help but feel like I have out grown this thing. Its amazing how imtimidated I was by it when I first sat my rear on it. Yes I know this story has been told a million times. And yes I was warned that I would soon have this feeling about my sportster. But I made what I felt was the best and right decision for me at the time. Nevertheless, out of curiousity, I ventured down to the dealer today and hopped on one of those pretty two-tone colored heritage softail classics. They let me test ride it assuming I was going to ride around the parking lot and maybe around the block to get a feel for it. Well lets just say I returned the bike 45 miles later. I was absolutely shocked and amazed that a motorcycle could feel that smooth and comfortable. Shifting..amazing!!, clutch..amazing!!, floor boards with heel shift...amazing!!, 96 cubic in Big twin accomanied by low rumble....amazing!! Completely shockedby how well this bike handled considering the significant weight differencecompared to my sportster. Believe it or not, this bike actually felt lighter once I was in motion.Not to mention this is in my opinion one of the best looking bikes harleyhas to offer.However it still boils down to personal preference. I happen to love the nostalgic look to the bike along with the fact that I can remove sissy bar, bags, and windshield whenever I want to give it thatsaturday night cruising appearance.I swear I had more fun ridding this thingin 45 miles than I have in 4750 miles ridding my sportsterThe best way I could describe this experience is.... it was as thou I was riding within the heritage as opposed to ridding on my sportster. I honest to god wish I hadnt made that journey down to the dealer today, because now I can never look at my sportster the same. Hopping backing on it was like getting on a dirt bike. Man was I deppressed. Pls to all the sportster lovers out there, I mean no disrespect....I really do love the sportster for what is was designed to be. But now I feel like I have truly just discovered what the true Harley experience is. Too bad I will have to be stuck with my sportster for at least another 2 years. Since I just purchased it earlier this year, I dont have much equity in the bike and it would be fool hearted of me to trade it in now. But at least I came away knowing what my next motorcycle will be sure. For now I will just continue to dream and continue to second guess my decision to buy the sporstster in the first place[sm=smiley6.gif]
sorry for long post

Old 11-19-2007, 08:45 PM
randy78045
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Default RE: Test drove 08 heritage classic today

I did about the same thing, but kinda different feelings... I really don't like my sportster on the "road"... and for that on my test drive I could see that the heritage was an entirely different bike and ride... especially on the "road".... Having said that, there is no way i would trade the heritage for a sportster for run around fun and in town rides.. the sportster is more agile and responds much easier and faster in my opinion than the heritage... the problem i have is one that most people have... you can only pick one... there lies the problem for me... If i could own two... maybe three... i would be a very happy camper...

Old 11-19-2007, 08:51 PM
voyager1
Outstanding HDF Member

King Kong Sportster I can see why you liked the Heritage so well. I sure like my 08 !

Old 11-19-2007, 08:57 PM
King Kong Sportster
Advanced

I absolutely understand what you mean by not liking the sportster on the "road". Believe me I know excactly how you feel.I live in an area where there are lots of major interstates and you need to be running at least 70-75 mph to keep from getting ran over. The sportster just doesnt feel natural going at those speeds. Yes its responsive, yes its agile. But I have discovered that I am an open road big country kind of rider. Urban ridding is ok. Hence, the sportster serves it purpose. However the same thing can be done with the heritage. City ridding? Open road? Long haul? Back roads? whatever your cup of tea, the heritage can do it all. Could possibly see myself replacing floor boards after ridding the twisties over time...but the hell with it...so be it. I am inlove withthis bike!!!

Old 11-19-2007, 09:34 PM
voyager1
Outstanding HDF Member

I had never had floor boards before... But after having them , I really like them .Only thing i did not like was the to quiet pipes,and the widshield totall for me.

Old 11-19-2007, 10:06 PM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I road my 06 sporster for 10 months and 10,000 miles and sold it $300 more than I paid new for it.
Try craigs list.

Old 11-19-2007, 10:14 PM
BadX
Elite HDF Member
Received 88 Likes on 49 Posts

The Heritage's are wonderful bikes IMO and while I do have a bagger I find myself riding the FLST a lot more than I use to and only see this trend growing.

Old 11-19-2007, 10:32 PM
Dinger
Road Master

Uhhhh....YEAH!

Old 11-20-2007, 12:00 AM
Helix
Tourer

I feel your pain dude. I rode a Sportster for 3 years and fell in love w/ the Street Bob when they came out in 06. I waited to get one becuase I knew that in 07' they were going to a 96. Got my Bob in late Sept of 06 and I loved it , atleast until I rode a Softail.After riding a Softail i couldnt believe how smooth and comfortable they are , its night and day over a Dyna IMHO. Nothing like a B motor. I paid $13,700 for my Bob Out the door when I traded the Sporty, I traded in the Bob in Sept of this year for my FXSTC and got $12,500 for it in trade. I lost $1,200 but I got the FXSTC with no set-up and no freight, free 1K and 5K service was thrown in since it was the 3rd bike I had bought from this dealer. Not to mention it was his last 07 FXSTC. You may be surprised what you can get for your bike and what kind of deals can be made. They may have an 07 they are willing to deal on... Its a buyers market from what I heard. It couldnt hurt to run the Numbers and see!

Old 11-20-2007, 06:50 AM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Love the looks of the Heritage but could never figure out why H-D thinks the FL bikes need double disks but the equally heavy Heritage is ok with one.

Quick Reply: Test drove 08 heritage classic today