Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chrome Switch Housing: Rocker C

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 07:07 PM
NewfieRocker
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chrome Switch Housing: Rocker C

I just received my left and right Chrome Switch housing and chrome switch inserts for the Rocker. I expected this to be a fairly routine mod....however I just finished wretching over the disassembly and reassembly of the switch housings in my Service Manual (I have to install the Chrome Willie G Grips as well) and I am less than confident that I can pull this off!! Seems I am having fears of a reoccourance when I opened a G.I.Joe toy at 10 years old and all the pieces fell out, never to be reassembled. Is this a back yard job or am I going to pay a PREMIUM to have a mechanic come to my house in the spring because I may render the bike undrivable...........

Thanks for your advice

NewfieRocker

Old 12-18-2009, 07:57 PM
stevelonewolf
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't let it shake your confidence. Take your time and you'll get it. Take pics if you're stuck and post'em we'll help....

Old 12-18-2009, 11:09 PM
WVNightrain Rider
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure about the rocker but on the standard they are pretty easy. Just remember when you separate the 2 halves there is a small zip tie on the lower section that needs cut so you have enough wires to play with (cutting the zip tie will give you about 4-5 inches of movement).
The switch’s come out pretty easy after removing the torx screw; you will not be able to see the screw until the zip tie is cut.
You will need a third hand for a light and a small set of cutters.
The hardest part I had was routing the wires back the way they came, so make a mental note of how the wires lay in there.
The kit will include 2 zip ties to replace the one’s you cut, take my advice and route the zip tie but leave it VERY loose until you get the switch’s in place, screws back in, and are ready to put the 2 halves back together; then when the 2 pieces are almost touching tighten the zip tie and cut the extra. I ended up doing things twice until I learned to leave a big loop until the end.
The throttle cables pull right out the bottom after you loosen them from the adjusters and remove the barrel clamp inside.
It took me about 30 minutes for the clutch side and about 45-60 minutes for the throttle side including re-adjusting the throttle.
Like lonewolf said just take your time and thing will work.

Old 12-19-2009, 12:04 PM
Phatts
Cruiser

Originally Posted by WVNightrain Rider
Not sure about the rocker but on the standard they are pretty easy. Just remember when you separate the 2 halves there is a small zip tie on the lower section that needs cut so you have enough wires to play with (cutting the zip tie will give you about 4-5 inches of movement).
The switch’s come out pretty easy after removing the torx screw; you will not be able to see the screw until the zip tie is cut.
You will need a third hand for a light and a small set of cutters.
The hardest part I had was routing the wires back the way they came, so make a mental note of how the wires lay in there.
The kit will include 2 zip ties to replace the one’s you cut, take my advice and route the zip tie but leave it VERY loose until you get the switch’s in place, screws back in, and are ready to put the 2 halves back together; then when the 2 pieces are almost touching tighten the zip tie and cut the extra. I ended up doing things twice until I learned to leave a big loop until the end.
The throttle cables pull right out the bottom after you loosen them from the adjusters and remove the barrel clamp inside.
It took me about 30 minutes for the clutch side and about 45-60 minutes for the throttle side including re-adjusting the throttle.
Like lonewolf said just take your time and thing will work.
+1 Well put WVNightrain Rider. Just take your time and pay attention as start taking it apart. Seemed like there was a little metal clip in there also. Take your time and you be able to have done in no time. Cable re installment is very easy. Good Luck and have fun doing it.

Old 12-19-2009, 01:51 PM
NewfieRocker
Cruiser

Thanks for your confidence building responses, perhaps this is something I will have to take on and worst case Scenario, take photos and get coached through the reinstall if necessary.

Cheers guys

Old 12-19-2009, 03:25 PM
WVNightrain Rider
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good catch Phatts...the metal clip

In the throttel side there is a small metal (coper or brass) wedge that holds the brake light switch in place. Use a small screwdriver and move it out and the brake light switch will come right out.
The clip/wedge just puts pressure on the brake switch to keep it from moving so don't be afraid to hook it with a screwdriver and move it to where you can get it out.

Old 04-22-2018, 02:21 PM
E2dac
Stage II

How I get the wires out of the turn signal so u can put the wire there the new bottom half of the switch housing

Old 04-22-2018, 07:01 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,866 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Originally Posted by E2dac
How I get the wires out of the turn signal so u can put the wire there the new bottom half of the switch housing
You probably would have been better off starting a new thread than resurrecting a 9 year old one.

Nonetheless, whenever you ask a question about your bike, tell us the year and model of the bike.