Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help With Samson True Dual Installation

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 08:59 AM
hspring03
Elite HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 48 Posts

It's not the shift rod that would make it difficult.

Make sure you have the appropriate fluid and do a clutch adjustment if needed

Old 02-20-2011, 09:58 AM
shineybike
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My shift linkage was a HD accessory piece with spherical bar ends on it. That linkage was on the bike when I got it. When I put on my true duals and tried to use the bent linkage from samson but it would not fit right I think due to the extra length added when I mounted it with the spherical bar ends. I had a piece of stainless steel bar custom bent at a local machine shop and threaded so i could use the sphericals. It took some adjusting to get it to work right as it was rubbing on the back side of the primary case and hanging up while shifting. Took me awhile to figure it out, first thought it was the shifter getting stuck. If you have the stock ends on your shift linkage I believe it should work if adjusted right.

Old 02-25-2011, 05:43 PM
raynoslo
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hspring03
It's not the shift rod that would make it difficult.

Make sure you have the appropriate fluid and do a clutch adjustment if needed

I serviced my primary, filled with 26oz. of fluid per service manual, adjusted clutch per service manual. I still have the same problem. When I try to shift from 1st into neutral, it wants to shift straight into 2nd. I have to lightly twist my foot to achieve neutral with approximately a 50% success rate. It's driving me crazy. I've had the bike for about a year and a half. And I have just felt with it. I used to own a '51 ahead and had no problems finding neutral. Any help would be much appreciative.

Old 02-25-2011, 05:46 PM
raynoslo
Novice

Originally Posted by raynoslo
I serviced my primary, filled with 26oz. of fluid per service manual, adjusted clutch per service manual. I still have the same problem. When I try to shift from 1st into neutral, it wants to shift straight into 2nd. I have to lightly twist my foot to achieve neutral with approximately a 50% success rate. It's driving me crazy. I've had the bike for about a year and a half. And I have just felt with it. I used to own a '51 ahead and had no problems finding neutral. Any help would be much appreciative.

Sorry I typed this on my phone. Flipping auto correct. I meant dealt with. And '51 panhead.

Old 03-03-2015, 08:34 PM
Belvindeluxe
Stage III
Default Samson duals

Just got my Samson true dual the rear u pipe the flange will not make the turn no way it will seal how to fix that ??

Old 03-04-2015, 12:09 AM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,863 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Originally Posted by Belvindeluxe
Just got my Samson true dual the rear u pipe the flange will not make the turn no way it will seal how to fix that ??
You don't have to resurrect every Samson thread about your issue. You posted in another thread. Wait for answers there.

Old 03-07-2015, 09:29 PM
Pete3323
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Bone Doc
You don't have to resurrect every Samson thread about your issue. You posted in another thread. Wait for answers there.
Big help!

The following users liked this post:
Peggers (06-21-2021)
Old 05-07-2015, 01:28 PM
boblarkins
1st Gear
Default true duals on softail deluxe

I have tried a swivel socket and everything in between to the rear nut on the rear cylinder. So far I have lost two sockets that have fallen off while attempting to tighten the nut. I have no idea where the sockets have ended up. They haven't fallen through to the ground and I can't see them anyplace so I have not been able to find or retrieve them. Using a Sears swivel, by accident a couple of times I was able to get the swivel on the nut to tighten but it was pure luck. I don't know what Harley was thinking when they designed this. Hopefully, the missing sockets have fallen through to the street somewhere along the way. No strange noises so hopefully they are no longer on the bike. I can't see down the hole that they have fallen into.

Old 05-07-2015, 01:41 PM
saibaba
Advanced

That nut is a pain in the butt, but you can get to it but it just takes a few beers.

Sometimes a 1/4" wrench extension with swivel head works, sometimes a crows foot works! Make sure you find those missing sockets!

Old 05-29-2017, 08:17 AM
kawikiana
Stage I

Help! Installing Samson mini cholos on an 05 softail, installed the front L&R exhaust but now the tail end will not slip in on either side.. it slides in partially but its about an inch on each side from the bracket holes even tried tapping it in with a plastic mallad and it did not budge at all... what to do.. I'm now thinking of beveling the outer tips with a dremel hoping it'll be easier for it to slide in..