Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winshield Sux...No Really!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 07:13 PM
Josewales
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Winshield Sux...No Really!

Just got back from a road trip vacation. And I have to say if it aint a hurricane or freezing temps, screw that damn windshield!

Last month I got a new 16" replacement windshield in order to be able to see over the windshield & avoid double impairment during rain. Well that worked like a charm, but didn't realize that my melon was going to take a beating from the new air flow. 4 hours into the ride I got a wicked headache from the new pressure. I even have the vent holes on my helmet, but didnt help.

Once I got to my destination from the all day ride, immediately I tossed it off and sat it in my buddies garage for the vacation. Sure my torso gets a beating without one, but a hell lot better than the head getting a good beating. I usually wear a hoodie when I ride, but looks like I may have to invest in a vest to shield the energy and look like an old biker:P

Anyways, I come to the conclusion....if I end up doing a lot of long distance trip in the future, either get a tour bike or pick your battles with the softie when it comes to comfort on long **** trips. Guess I will choose my battles then. And if I can avoid it, the windshield stays home.

My 2 cents.

Besides that I had a blast!

Old 07-02-2013, 07:23 PM
EP50
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Old 07-02-2013, 07:29 PM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Josewales

Anyways, I come to the conclusion....if I end up doing a lot of long distance trip in the future, either get a tour bike or...

How would a touring bike be different with rain? They all have shields and lowers can be added, just like fangs to softies. Maybe I am misunderstanding what you mean.

Old 07-02-2013, 07:31 PM
harleyheaven
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just got back from a road trip vacation. And I have to say if it aint a hurricane or freezing temps, screw that damn windshield!

Last month I got a new 16" replacement windshield in order to be able to see over the windshield & avoid double impairment during rain. Well that worked like a charm, but didn't realize that my melon was going to take a beating from the new air flow. 4 hours into the ride I got a wicked headache from the new pressure. I even have the vent holes on my helmet, but didnt help.

Once I got to my destination from the all day ride, immediately I tossed it off and sat it in my buddies garage for the vacation. Sure my torso gets a beating without one, but a hell lot better than the head getting a good beating. I usually wear a hoodie when I ride, but looks like I may have to invest in a vest to shield the energy and look like an old biker:P

Anyways, I come to the conclusion....if I end up doing a lot of long distance trip in the future, either get a tour bike or pick your battles with the softie when it comes to comfort on long **** trips. Guess I will choose my battles then. And if I can avoid it, the windshield stays home.

My 2 cents.

Who makes the shield you are using? It could be that it is too short for your setup. I have a shield that I use sparingly, like when it's cold, raining, or for long trips. Mine is cut down and is about two inches too short so i get a little wind right on the top of my head. i can duck down just a little and it all goes away.

Old 07-02-2013, 07:41 PM
beasleyiv
Road Master
Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

It all depends on how you're built. Some guys like Jose and myself get buffeting from below due to the low pressure area created behind the shield. You get done with a ride and feel like you went 15 rounds in the ring. I've tried a shield from a FLSTN 19", FLSTC 17", and two different Windvests, 14" and 16" tall. They all create the buffeting from below, not above the shield. The fangs do take care of it, but are ugly as sin. At least without a shield you have a constant wind force that is smooth. You do get used to riding without one and can always use a driver's backrest to help. The bugs in the face at 70mph suck.

Jose, don't think the touring bike will solve the problem. I test rode a street glide and it had the same problem. It may have been to a lesser degree, but the lower buffeting was still there.

Old 07-02-2013, 07:41 PM
ghoticov
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My 2 cents.

Yep, you can sold the chest beating by getting a vest... it helps alot IMO and a FF helmet is better than having a windshield.

Old 07-02-2013, 07:50 PM
_aaron
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I require ear plugs when I ride without the shield.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:06 PM
Josewales
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for input folks!

Cee Bailey's made this replacement windshield.

Do fairings help against this problem? And would I be able to see over the visor if so?

And to answer the other questions. I never road a tour but a couple friends swear by the comfort...and assume they dont have this problem. Meh not really interested....I love my softy. Therefore, it's all about piecing together the right stuff in regards not having the windshield.

Beasley...good to know bro. Makes sense. And ya I prefer not throwing on fangs. Concerning bugs, I wear a sock. And a backrest...already set up with the luggage bag.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:11 PM
tikiman66
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the buffering problem also on my 2010 fxstc. Mid size Harley windshield ,comes up to the middle of my nose. I'm thinking a rear lowering kit might change the wind angle off the shield.(maybe).only a problem after long trips 4 hours +. IDK.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:24 PM
Beltfed
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’m the opposite did my first long trip with a shield and worked great. I have my shield height set so I can look through it or set up straight and look over. That shield helped my back and arms from fighting the wind at 80 mpa for over 6 hours.
When I get to my destination I take it off and enjoy the wind. When it comes to rain I’m screwed with or without the windshield, my helmet shield gets wet can’t see flip it up my glasses get wet can’t see take them off can’t see. I get no buffeting at all, I can turn my head and look at **** without my head being blown back very comfortable high speed ride

Quick Reply: Winshield Sux...No Really!