Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Line Quick Disconnect

Old 08-22-2013, 11:28 AM
Runcy12
Advanced
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Fuel Line Quick Disconnect

Hey all,

I know with a quick search, more info can be found on this and other forums, but I wanted to point it out in hopes that my bad luck experience helps someone else.

This past Sunday, I took off from Indianapolis headed south to central Kentucky for a full day ride. All was well until we stopped to fill up about 40 miles SE of Louisville. After filling up the bike and pulling around to where everyone had parked, I noticed a gas smell and upon inspection, found that I had a slow drip from my fuel line quick disconnect. I disconnected the fuel line only to have a small piece of rubber fall into my hand. The leak stopped which was great until I tried to reconnect the fuel line and now had a non-stop steady stream of fuel leaking from the disconnect.

Being a looong way from home, we contacted the Louisville HD store looking for assistance on what we might be able to do. They suggested bringing in the fuel line and let the test it. So my buddy ran the fuel line to Louisville only to find that it was not the issue. LHD stated that it now must be the actual female disconnect attached to the tank and that the tank had to be drained, removed and opened up in order to replace the fitting with a new one ($55 part plus labor, I figure at least $200). We were warned not to try to start the bike as fuel would spray everywhere as this is a high pressure fitting. So after about 6.5 hours we were able to have a friend show up with a trailer to get the bike back to Indy.

When I got home I immediately started searching forums for info on this problem, and found that it is rather common. There are 2 o-rings in that fitting, and usually the lower or bottom o-ring is the failure, as it sometimes gets nicked if you do not push the male end of the fuel line in just right. Harley will NOT tell you about this and only wants to sell you the whole female fitting, leaving you stranded if this occurs.

After a lot of reading I found several posts where riders had purchased and successfully installed a new o-ring: Advance Auto Parts #64492.1 (10mmx14mmx2mm Metric O-ring). This part cost a whopping $.99 cents. I have rode the bike hard over the past week and have had no leaks whatsoever. This is on all current HD's. I now am carrying a couple extra o-rings, a small mirror, a small hook to remove the old o-ring parts, and a small flat screwdriver to help push the new o-ring in place, just in case.

Sorry for the long post, but I hope this helps someone else before they run into the same situation away from home I did.

The following 4 users liked this post by Runcy12:
americanworkmule (08-27-2016), andnepo (03-13-2021), Iminocca (07-18-2016), Rollon (06-14-2016)
Old 08-22-2013, 11:41 AM
Ramboamt
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Runcy12
Hey all,

I know with a quick search, more info can be found on this and other forums, but I wanted to point it out in hopes that my bad luck experience helps someone else.

This past Sunday, I took off from Indianapolis headed south to central Kentucky for a full day ride. All was well until we stopped to fill up about 40 miles SE of Louisville. After filling up the bike and pulling around to where everyone had parked, I noticed a gas smell and upon inspection, found that I had a slow drip from my fuel line quick disconnect. I disconnected the fuel line only to have a small piece of rubber fall into my hand. The leak stopped which was great until I tried to reconnect the fuel line and now had a non-stop steady stream of fuel leaking from the disconnect.

Being a looong way from home, we contacted the Louisville HD store looking for assistance on what we might be able to do. They suggested bringing in the fuel line and let the test it. So my buddy ran the fuel line to Louisville only to find that it was not the issue. LHD stated that it now must be the actual female disconnect attached to the tank and that the tank had to be drained, removed and opened up in order to replace the fitting with a new one ($55 part plus labor, I figure at least $200). We were warned not to try to start the bike as fuel would spray everywhere as this is a high pressure fitting. So after about 6.5 hours we were able to have a friend show up with a trailer to get the bike back to Indy.

When I got home I immediately started searching forums for info on this problem, and found that it is rather common. There are 2 o-rings in that fitting, and usually the lower or bottom o-ring is the failure, as it sometimes gets nicked if you do not push the male end of the fuel line in just right. Harley will NOT tell you about this and only wants to sell you the whole female fitting, leaving you stranded if this occurs.

After a lot of reading I found several posts where riders had purchased and successfully installed a new o-ring: Advance Auto Parts #64492.1 (10mmx14mmx2mm Metric O-ring). This part cost a whopping $.99 cents. I have rode the bike hard over the past week and have had no leaks whatsoever. This is on all current HD's. I now am carrying a couple extra o-rings, a small mirror, a small hook to remove the old o-ring parts, and a small flat screwdriver to help push the new o-ring in place, just in case.

Sorry for the long post, but I hope this helps someone else before they run into the same situation away from home I did.
Thanks.

Old 08-22-2013, 12:02 PM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Thanks for sharing. Looks like I will add some stuff to my tool bag.

Old 08-22-2013, 12:18 PM
jam436
Supporter
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

..wow, thanks for the money-saving heads up.
freakin' stealers...

Old 08-22-2013, 03:29 PM
50ronnie
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Which Quick Disconnect?

Is this the quick disconnect used in the fuel tank cross-over line or is it the quick disconnect at the tank like those on EFI models?

Old 08-22-2013, 04:49 PM
Runcy12
Advanced
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 50ronnie
Is this the quick disconnect used in the fuel tank cross-over line or is it the quick disconnect at the tank like those on EFI models?

Its the quick disconnect on the EFI models located on the rear left side of the tank. Its a quick-disconnect similar to that of an air hose. Sorry I don't have a photo to post.

As I said, I wish I had known this tidbit of info when it happened to me. Could have saved a lot of hassle and a great ride.

I guess I should also say that while this fix should be no different than what was there prior, it would still probably be a good idea to have a tech check it out after you make it home just in case. My parts guy where I work made a valid point that the lawyers for HD probably would not think it wise for them to recommend just changing the o-ring, as the parts guy from LHD said that the high pressure line was like 80 psi or something stupid, so they would hate to have that blow and spread fuel over a hot engine and exhaust.

Old 08-23-2013, 07:18 AM
Hogtrader
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Thanks for the info.

I have an '03' RKC. I had the same problem with the fuel leaking around the quick disconnect. The dealer told me I needed to drain the tank and install parts that would have cost around $65. I went to advanced auto parts and picked up a couple of the o-rings for about $1 and installed one and no more leak. It was a little frustrating trying to dig the old o-ring out and get the new one in correctly but it is working for now. I rode about 40 miles after the repair and it was holding up fine.

Old 08-23-2013, 10:47 PM
AZtek
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great info!

Old 08-24-2013, 03:33 AM
VETERAN75
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah. I've replace mine too. Pretty well anytime I pull the connector off I go ahead and put a new one in. Cheap as an oring is anyway.

Old 08-24-2013, 09:44 AM
deucegray
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Same thing here ,replaced o-ring leak stopped. Thanks for tip.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuel Line Quick Disconnect