Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No left turn sig and horn??? HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 09:41 AM
Santo
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default No left turn sig and horn??? HELP!!!!

First of all for the search button police I did a search and found some members with similar issues but noting has helped. I recently sold my Deluxe and switched to the dark side and bought a 2009 XBones. I decided to switch out the OEM bars for some beach bars and wire them internally, mind you I have witched out bars plenty of times and honestly this was the easiest swap I have done (no splicing wires) till it came time to check to see if all electrical components worked. Well no horn or left side turn signal all else is working fine. At first I heard the fuse blow then I replaced it and checked to make sure all my wires were correct and nothing was binding, grounding or shorting out. I did not cut or solder any wires, I used all the same wires just removed them from the molex connectors and reconnected. Went to check again and nothing. No blown fuse this time, bulbs are ok, and I have power on the orange and white wire that feeds both the horn and turn signal. I am totally stumped I have checked everything a dozen times and can't find anything. Please help...

Old 09-18-2013, 09:44 AM
klf33
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

If you have power on both the horn and light, maybe they were both damaged even with the blown fuse !. and why in heaven's sake would you replace that deluxe man ?.. OK.. another thread maybe

Old 09-18-2013, 09:54 AM
Santo
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by klf33
If you have power on both the horn and light, maybe they were both damaged even with the blown fuse !. and why in heaven's sake would you replace that deluxe man ?.. OK.. another thread maybe
Thanks klf, I did think about the possibility of both switches going bad but can't see why they would. I am gonna check that next. And yes getting rid of my Luxe was hard for me to do but the money I was offered for it was right so time to start all over with something different this time..

Old 09-18-2013, 11:20 AM
08Nighttrain
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Test the switches to see if they are blown out you say you have power to one side hook your test light to the other and hit switch it should work if not they are probably fried.

Old 09-18-2013, 12:05 PM
Santo
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by 08Nighttrain
Test the switches to see if they are blown out you say you have power to one side hook your test light to the other and hit switch it should work if not they are probably fried.
Thanks for your response, I checked the horn switch and I have power going in and when I engage the horn switch I have power coming out also. I checked the left sig switch and I have power going in (orange wire) but when I engage the switch I get no power coming out of the switch on the white with purple wire, do you think this would mean that the switch is fried?

Old 09-18-2013, 08:17 PM
DC Mike
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I had a similar problem last week when I did my bars and wiring. Pull back your tank and make sure the connector it all the way in. That was my problem. It looked right, so I kept searching. When I didn't find anything else I went back to that and pressed on it a little and CLICK! It wasn't seated completely. DOH!!!

Mike

Old 09-18-2013, 10:25 PM
Santo
Road Warrior

Thanks DC Mike, Yeah I tried that already and I'm getting a click every time and still no cigar. I changed out the sig switch, rechecked and rechecked all the wiring (for the 100th time) and it keeps blowing the fuse. Im about to throw a match in the fuel tank..

Old 09-18-2013, 10:32 PM
08Nighttrain
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Any chance there is water inside the turn signal causing bulb to short blowing the fuses. Some have got water in them from washing.

Old 09-18-2013, 10:43 PM
Santo
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by 08Nighttrain
Any chance there is water inside the turn signal causing bulb to short blowing the fuses. Some have got water in them from washing.
No everything is dry, it was all fine till I decided to switch out my bars. Everything went really well till I went to check if everything was working..