Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nightster engine paint problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 11:09 PM
Finalunity
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Nightster engine paint problem

Is anyone else experiencing paint issues with the dark gray on the Nightster engines? Water spots, rings or dark runs?

I called H-D customer support and they told me this is not covered under the warranty and that discoloration of the paint can be repaired with a CAN OF SPRAY PAINT that I have to apply and pay for myself.

Notes for application:
A) Engine clean and dirt free but don't wash it with S100 because that can leave stains but yes we still sell and promote the product in our retail stores.
B) Engine must be hot so the paint sticks well
C) BLAH BLAH BLAH

Anyone else see a problem with painting the bottom case of the engine case without over spraying everything else? Besides why did we pay a premium for a Nightster if we received a lesser product then what they powder coat the regular Sportsters?

I think H-D is telling the story to all Nightster owners, your the best Sportster line to sell for us in 50 years and since we could care less about that we are not going to warranty our crappy powder coat because it can actually affect our pockets.

A can of spray paint is the best they can do, Unbelievable.

If anyone out there is even thinking about buying one I would wait till they own up to it and fix this problem.

Old 09-04-2008, 11:36 PM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Yea there was another guy on here a while back complaining of some stain on the engine case. It was black and looked like it ran down the side. He got sick of it and traded it for a Street Glide or a Road Glide or something. I forget his name.

Edit: WOW! I tried the search and it worked first time using the search words nightster stain. His name was Lewd_ Dude and here is the thread https://www.hdforums.com/forum/showt...ightster+stain

Old 09-05-2008, 05:18 PM
Gpsjr10
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I look at it this way... I got a brand new nightster last month. It saw rain twice in the first week... I take 15 min. to wipe it down with Lemon Pledge to remove the bugs and shine up the tins. I ride mine, so it's gonna get dirty, stained, and wet... oh well... It's not made to sit in the garage and look pretty under a sheet.

Old 09-05-2008, 05:22 PM
zonplyr
Cruiser

same thing here. lower rocker box gasket was leaking and stained the engine. harley said that first step in warranty is to paint it. i've been waiting 10 days for the paint to show up. finally just told the dealer to bolt it back together and i would bring the bike back in when the paint showed up. I was able to remove some of the staining with wd-40 though, not sure how bad yours is.

Old 09-05-2008, 05:42 PM
onetwoonetwo
Novice
Default same issue

I have same engine stain problem.
If anybody has idea, that would be good.
Maybe we can all get together somehow and get Harley to do something.
One of the reasons i bought it was because the silver motor looked cool.
If i knew this would happen, i might have done something else.

Thanks

Old 09-05-2008, 06:07 PM
Finalunity
Novice

Originally Posted by Gpsjr10
I look at it this way... I got a brand new nightster last month. It saw rain twice in the first week... I take 15 min. to wipe it down with Lemon Pledge to remove the bugs and shine up the tins. I ride mine, so it's gonna get dirty, stained, and wet... oh well... It's not made to sit in the garage and look pretty under a sheet.
I agree, a little dirt is not a problem, scuffs are fine too but when water ruins the paint then I have a quality issue. Harley sells themselves as a superior machine and apparently water melts the hype away.
I have other bikes in my collection and never had WATER stains on them and some of them are 30 years in age, so what if I like my bike to look clean? I didn't pay for a substandard grade just because its a Sportster.

Just to think I was going to drop a down payment on a Crossbones when I sold one of my other bikes. Guess I'll be doing some shopping elsewhere instead.

Old 09-05-2008, 06:11 PM
JosephGarcia
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

**** happens, no paint is perfect, touch it up and move on! its REALLY simple, just get shop rags and cover the big stuff you dont want ovespray on and use masking tape to hold them and cover the rest, then just lightly spray from a foot away until its covered, dont glob it on. and done!

be glad you guys dont have a custom painted white bike like me, i have to touch up my tins every 6 months or so and they need to be off the bike and sanded down for it! all in the name of keeping the bike looking sharp, if you guys cared you would put the work into it! i do 1k a week and i like my bike to look clean and i willingly take the time to clean it up, there is no magic solution or "set it and forget it" dirt and stains happen, touch it up and move on

Old 09-05-2008, 07:22 PM
Finalunity
Novice

OK you tell me if this is normal.

Old 09-05-2008, 07:24 PM
Finalunity
Novice
Old 09-05-2008, 07:41 PM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Oh hell no. That looks awful. You shouldn't have to be dealing with crap like that on such a new bike.

Quick Reply: Nightster engine paint problem