Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 Touring fuel filter

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 07:17 PM
Dharn55
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 2001 Touring fuel filter

I have had my 2001 RKC since it was new and it now has about 55,000 miles. I don't ride it much any more since I got a 2012 RGU but have kept it for my son to ride. It started hesitating at low RPMs and I read about the problems with pin holes in the in-tank plastics fuel hoses that HD uses, so I bought some gate submersible fuel lines. I am getting g ready to put them in and thought that anger 16 years and all the miles I would also replace the fuel filter. I go to the Harley dealer to get the fuel filter and the parts guy chuckles and says that HD hasn't supplied thes filters in years. They were used with the early fuel injection systems in 99,00 and 01 bikes. I could not believe that HD would not still supply them! Asked him about the Drag Specialties filter that are supposed to fit and he said he would not order them as they don't fit either.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Old 04-30-2017, 07:23 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,969 Likes on 1,718 Posts

Yep, no longer. Read this THREAD as the poster apparently had a workaround.

Old 07-15-2017, 01:04 AM
HD7
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, this thread was instrumental in helping me diagnose my terribly running bike. It started the day after I bought it. I ordered all the parts, including the filter from Ronnies mail order. The gates hoses showed first so I dug in and replaced the lines. No change. They had no holes and didn't leak. The local Harley builder said it sounded like a regulator issue. Luckily I ordered the regulator and housing when I sent Ronnies my hard earned cash. The filter was 88$...... Anyway, there was a leak, and you could actively see it in the tank with the ignition on and the cap off. The regulator house has two small arms, tabs or wings or whatever Harley calls them. One of them broke somehow, according to Ronnies it's super common. And the housing rocked away from the regulator on one side. This caused the O-ring to herniate out of the housing and spring a leak. Now I know. And now I'll keep a regulator, housing and tools with me at all times. Not the best design. But hey it works...

Old 07-15-2017, 12:11 PM
sbeast
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by HD7

Hey guys, this thread was instrumental in helping me diagnose my terribly running bike. It started the day after I bought it. I ordered all the parts, including the filter from Ronnies mail order. The gates hoses showed first so I dug in and replaced the lines. No change. They had no holes and didn't leak. The local Harley builder said it sounded like a regulator issue. Luckily I ordered the regulator and housing when I sent Ronnies my hard earned cash. The filter was 88$...... Anyway, there was a leak, and you could actively see it in the tank with the ignition on and the cap off. The regulator house has two small arms, tabs or wings or whatever Harley calls them. One of them broke somehow, according to Ronnies it's super common. And the housing rocked away from the regulator on one side. This caused the O-ring to herniate out of the housing and spring a leak. Now I know. And now I'll keep a regulator, housing and tools with me at all times. Not the best design. But hey it works...
THIS EXACT THING JUST HAPPENED TO ME. Regulator housing cracked on the side and the fuel pump couldn't pressure up

​​​​​

Old 02-28-2018, 10:14 AM
brockt1964
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fuel filter

Id find another dealer... I got mine from Harley... Same issue and all. Although mine is a 98 model... They can still be found, IF your dealer is willing to put in a little leg work.

Old 02-28-2018, 02:03 PM
DAVENRINO
Road Master
Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

I bought the Drag Spec filter along with pump and lines for my 2000 UC with 60k on it. It has been hesitating in quick acceleration from low rpm and gradually getting worse. I will report back when I get it installed.